June 23, 200719 yr They are probably still there but the city may have an ordinance against. catching them:lol: At my homeplace, the yard was loaded with them. An ordinance or more likely a 5 cent per crawler tax:madman: :madman:
June 23, 200719 yr I think most of the bait shops have the crawlers shipped in. If you turn them over they will read caught in Mexico or China.:lol: :laugh: Dang Illegal workers!! :irked: They are even sneaking in here and ruining the live bait industry.
June 23, 200719 yr A $1.79? Man I am getting ripped off. I paid $2.29 per dozen yesterday evening. They were 1.79 at super quick in Raceland a few weeks ago. If that is where you got them the must have a supply/demand thing going on and are price gouging :laugh: By the way, great avatar TRR!
June 23, 200719 yr Ah, Mayberry at it's finest... :thumb: We need a whistle icon on here with the sound of the Mayberry/Andy Griffith show song. :lol:
June 23, 200719 yr Author An ordinance or more likely a 5 cent per crawler tax:madman: :madman: :lol: :lol:
June 23, 200719 yr Author A $1.79? Man I am getting ripped off. I paid $2.29 per dozen yesterday evening. I think Oldrambler called the bait shop and told them you were coming in.:lol: Due to the drought conditions and the high demand for nightcrawlers it has caused the price to increase at a rapid rate so Congress will be asking all fisherman to use smaller hooks.:lol:
June 23, 200719 yr Today's rain has me thinking about the times I used to pray for rain so I could go out that night and catch night crawlers. I used to catch them by the bucket full and sold them for a fantastic price of 25 cents a dozen. I also used to keep some for my own personal use and caught many nice Bass night fishing at our local lake. It has been years since I caught them and I can't recall the last time I saw someone out trying to catch them. It may be a lost art.:lol: Does anyone here hunt night crawlers for their own personal use or for re-sale as a way to make a little extra cash? I used to cover the flashlight lens with a sheet of paper to "mute" the intensity of the light otherwise the critters could sense the light and pullback into their hole. Wasn't a good night unless I caught 12 dozen. Sold most of them but I also drowned a few of the crawlers at the local lake (gravel pit or down at the boat docks). Once I caught a mess of small channel cats on slugs (snails) down at the boat dock only to see the whole stringer swim off because I didn't secure it.
June 23, 200719 yr I used to cover the flashlight lens with a sheet of paper to "mute" the intensity of the light otherwise the critters could sense the light and pullback into their hole. :thumb: I can remember doing that as well. Also some clear / red plastic over the lens worked well.
June 24, 200719 yr Author I used to cover the flashlight lens with a sheet of paper to "mute" the intensity of the light otherwise the critters could sense the light and pullback into their hole. Wasn't a good night unless I caught 12 dozen. Sold most of them but I also drowned a few of the crawlers at the local lake (gravel pit or down at the boat docks). Once I caught a mess of small channel cats on slugs (snails) down at the boat dock only to see the whole stringer swim off because I didn't secure it. Good to see you back in the game Fig!!!!:thumb: Now I know why all the lineman had such quick hands. Nightcrawler hunting was a part of our off -season workouts:lol:
June 30, 200719 yr Yes we still try to hunt them I have took my kids out and show them the fine art,but its not as fun as when I was a kid.
July 6, 200719 yr I used to spend summers with my cousins in Northern Penn, right along the New York border. The property was lined on both sides by fairly decent size farms so we never had to wait for rain, the farmers took care of the water for us. We would take three to four dozen a night just to hit the small ponds around the area each and every morning. Much like you guys are talking...boy those were the days!!!
July 6, 200719 yr Author Yes we still try to hunt them I have took my kids out and show them the fine art,but its not as fun as when I was a kid. I agree it doesn't seem as much fun as it did many years ago, but I bet your kids had a blast hunting the crawlers with good ol' dad. Hats off to you for spending quality time with your kids. We need more of that.:thumb:
July 8, 200719 yr My yard is full of them after a rain. A guy used to visit my dad about 30 years ago and stay a few days to fish, and also go into the creeks and hunt turtles (I could never understand how he got the nerve up to stick his hands under those rocks and into those creek bank holes:eek: ). Every time he visited, before he would leave to head back to Indiana, he would throw what Night Crawlers he had left into dad's garden. Now there's plenty of them throughout the garden and yard. But I have't seen many this summer due to the lack of rain.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.