Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Night Crawlers

Featured Replies

Today's rain has me thinking about the times I used to pray for rain so I could go out that night and catch night crawlers. I used to catch them by the bucket full and sold them for a fantastic price of 25 cents a dozen. I also used to keep some for my own personal use and caught many nice Bass night fishing at our local lake.

It has been years since I caught them and I can't recall the last time I saw someone out trying to catch them. It may be a lost art.:lol:

Does anyone here hunt night crawlers for their own personal use or for re-sale as a way to make a little extra cash?

Come to think of it, I haven't ssen anyone in a long time out hunting night crawlers. A night after a rain around here and yard/yards full of flashlights was a common sight. I too wonder if anyone remembers or knows how to catch these critters anymore or as yo say maybe it is a lost art :lol: . There has to be someone catching them (and making money on them), the are going for around 1.79 a dozen here :eek: :eek: , far strech from the .25 a dozen, uh :lol: . A good ol' nightcrawler I guess would still be hard to beat. Great memories here cville, thanks for the trip down memory lane and the D.S. Crawlers :thumb: .

  • Author
Come to think of it, I haven't ssen anyone in a long time out hunting night crawlers. A night after a rain around here and yard/yards full of flashlights was a common sight. I too wonder if anyone remembers or knows how to catch these critters anymore or as yo say maybe it is a lost art :lol: . There has to be someone catching them (and making money on them), the are going for around 1.79 a dozen here :eek: :eek: , far strech from the .25 a dozen, uh :lol: . A good ol' nightcrawler I guess would still be hard to beat. Great memories here cville, thanks for the trip down memory lane and the D.S. Crawlers :thumb: .

I think most of the bait shops have the crawlers shipped in. If you turn them over they will read caught in Mexico or China.:lol:

At a 1.79 a dozen I could have retired at age 14. The DS Crawlers would have sold for a whole lot more due to the extra flavor that our hunting dogs added to them:D

For your guys info. One of the best places I remember ever finding crawlers was right in down town Raceland. My buddy lived down there and we would go over on the back street towards pond run creek after a rain. They would come out and knot up mating and you'd grab 2 at a time and they were huge. I wonder if they are still there?

I think most of the bait shops have the crawlers shipped in. If you turn them over they will read caught in Mexico or China.:lol:

At a 1.79 a dozen I could have retired at age 14. The DS Crawlers would have sold for a whole lot more due to the extra flavor that our hunting dogs added to them:D

:laugh: :thumb: :thumb: We could had retired a long time ago.

I used to go out with a flashlight & jerk them up out of the ground...Ahhhh...The good ol' days.

  • Author
For your guys info. One of the best places I remember ever finding crawlers was right in down town Raceland. My buddy lived down there and we would go over on the back street towards pond run creek after a rain. They would come out and knot up mating and you'd grab 2 at a time and they were huge. I wonder if they are still there?

They are probably still there but the city may have an ordinance against. catching them:lol:

At my homeplace, the yard was loaded with them.

  • Author
I used to go out with a flashlight & jerk them up out of the ground...Ahhhh...The good ol' days.

:thumb: Me too. Now when I bend down to catch them I can't get back up:laugh:

I agree Scarface, those days were great.

:thumb: Me too. Now when I bend down to catch them I can't get back up:laugh:

I agree Scarface, those days were great.

:lol: :lol:

:thumb:

:thumb: Me too. Now when I bend down to catch them I can't get back up:laugh:

I agree Scarface, those days were great.

:thumb: :thumb: Nightcrawler hunting is for the young and well conditioned athlete only. :laugh:

I used to go out with a flashlight & jerk them up out of the ground...Ahhhh...The good ol' days.

I am glad that someone other than a Raceland person has posted on here. I was beginning to think that it was just a "Raceland" thing and thats the only place that nightcrawlers ever lived :eek: . :D

I am glad that someone other than a Raceland person has posted on here. I was beginning to think that it was just a "Raceland" thing and thats the only place that nightcrawlers ever lived :eek: . :D

 

Kinda like the "Pond Run Puddle Jumpers"?:lol:

Kinda like the "Pond Run Puddle Jumpers"?:lol:

You didn't seen a D.S. Crawler..................they grew em' big over in the bottom. :scared: :lol:

  • Author
You didn't seen a D.S. Crawler..................they grew em' big over in the bottom. :scared: :lol:

They were first introduced by the same guy that trained Barry Bonds.:scared: :lol:

I am glad that someone other than a Raceland person has posted on here. I was beginning to think that it was just a "Raceland" thing and thats the only place that nightcrawlers ever lived :eek: . :D

I can remember my dad and brothers digging night crawlers late at night before a big trip out to the lake. Ah, Mayberry at it's finest...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.