Who looks the best in 6-A in Western Ky?

prepnut

Who was the last "great" Western Kentucky 4A/6A football team? Maybe Warren Central 2003?

That team was really good! I remember the recaps of their game against St.X and I was absolutely shocked at how close they came to beating them.

That team was really good! I remember the recaps of their game against St.X and I was absolutely shocked at how close they came to beating them.

I think they fumbled a few times on St.X 's goalline. I believe one fumble was in the waning moments of the game.

I think they fumbled a few times on St.X 's goalline. I believe one fumble was in the waning moments of the game.

Ox would know for sure, but I think this is correct.

That said I do wonder who will come out of WKY this year. Will Henderson be able to do it with their new coach, or will we be seeing a new face this season?

Henderson County has a lot of issues to deal with in the aftermath of the coaching change. Duffy didn't keep a lot of numbers in the program, so the new coach (Clevenger) will probably have to try and rustle up some new players. There will be some athletes among them (the ones he can get out) but Clevenger also has to put together a staff and the fact he wasn't hired until less than a week before the dead period will put him behind in terms of getting to know his players.

This morning on WSON they said that Cobb had already interviewed a few assistants and had actually hired Steve Towe. I would guess Clevenger would give Josh Boston a look as well. He played for Cumberland in college (not sure if Clevenger was there or not then) and was an assistant for Duffer last year. Josh really knows the game and would be a great asset. He also has been the one to keep the kids going with weights and work outs since Duffer resigned. It looks like Clevenger runs the same offense as Duffer. I believe Clevenger is working a camp at Troy University for Tony Franklin so I assume he runs that offense. If so this will only help the transition since the Henderson kids know this offense.

Ugh. Thanks for mentioning THAT.

But seriously yes, Central fumbled on a third and goal from the 1. Brock Whitney tried to sneak it in and a St. X player got his helmet on the ball knocking it loose.

As for who is the best in the west, my feeling is Marshall County at this point, but there are no real world beaters in the bunch. Many outside of the west don't think much of the west in 4A/6A anyway, but compared to the past couple of years the level is going to be down this year with the departure of Christian County, Warren Central, and Owensboro.

Marshall Co will most likely be the team to beat..they return the RB-Williams, who, should get a few Mr Football votes before the years done and they have several key linemen returning...Graves was also young last year and return quite a few starters from last years 8-2 team, but, unless they somehow develop at least a little bit of a passing game, they'll be pretty 1 dimentional.. There defense should be pretty solid... Henderson lost quite a bit and with the coaching situation, I look for them to step back a few notches.. Apollo may also be a team to be reckoned with..

Marshall Co will most likely be the team to beat..they return the RB-Williams, who, should get a few Mr Football votes before the years done and they have several key linemen returning...Graves was also young last year and return quite a few starters from last years 8-2 team, but, unless they somehow develop at least a little bit of a passing game, they'll be pretty 1 dimentional.. There defense should be pretty solid... Henderson lost quite a bit and with the coaching situation, I look for them to step back a few notches.. Apollo may also be a team to be reckoned with..

Define "to be reckoned with."

Not to be pompous but last year Henderson was the representative that played Ryle in the semis and got beaten pretty handily. Ryle then got beaten 41-7 by Trinity.

Just wanting an idea of what to expect.

Define "to be reckoned with."

Not to be pompous but last year Henderson was the representative that played Ryle in the semis and got beaten pretty handily. Ryle then got beaten 41-7 by Trinity.

Just wanting an idea of what to expect.

I would guess that he is reffering to 6A play within the west. We all know that nobody out here can beat Trinity.

I would guess that he is reffering to 6A play within the west. We all know that nobody out here can beat Trinity.

Don't take it that way, it wasn't meant in that fashion.

I was just wanting a comparative level. Warren Central in 2003 was one play away from playing the Rocks for the title, and they would have given Trinity a darn good game too.

You never know who will come out of nowhere in a given year and upset one of the big boys.

Don't take it that way, it wasn't meant in that fashion.

I was just wanting a comparative level. Warren Central in 2003 was one play away from playing the Rocks for the title, and they would have given Trinity a darn good game too.

You never know who will come out of nowhere in a given year and upset one of the big boys.

I wasn't really being sarcastic. There about 20 or 30 years of history to support my statement. Take Henderson a couple of years ago. They pretty much ran through Western KY, and were whipped thouroughly by St X.

For a Western team to even play Trinity they first have to survive the west, then it would take an almost perfect game to beat most likely St. X or Male prior to even facing Trinity.

That may be a defeatest additude but that's the reality of the situation