June 18, 200719 yr Whatever happened to tact? Frankly, just because you have the right to disagree doesn't mean that you should do so in a condescending and rude manner. There used to be somehting called ettiquette. No one says you have to sugarcoat anything, just not be rude about it. What's rude to one is not necessarily rude to another. I think people are just way too touchy these days.
June 18, 200719 yr What's rude to one is not necessarily rude to another. I think people are just way too touchy these days. I respectfully disagree. There's an old saying that I find is so VERY true: You catch more flies with honey than with......wellll....you get the picture. :lol: Anyway, the chances of having your opinion discussed and seen for it's merits rests in the person you're addressing actually taking the time to try and understand where you're coming from. When you present your argument in a rude, overbearing and condescending way, it puts people on the defensive, feeling as if their opinions are being attacked. It closes the door to dialogue, which is the key to understanding. And, if you take time to consider others' opinions, and try to hear what they're saying, you may learn something yourself. Of course, it may be that you already think you're the expert, and can't be taught anything...:sssh:
June 18, 200719 yr I respectfully disagree. There's an old saying that I find is so VERY true: You catch more flies with honey than with......wellll....you get the picture. :lol: Anyway, the chances of having your opinion discussed and seen for it's merits rests in the person you're addressing actually taking the time to try and understand where you're coming from. When you present your argument in a rude, overbearing and condescending way, it puts people on the defensive, feeling as if their opinions are being attacked. It closes the door to dialogue, which is the key to understanding. And, if you take time to consider others' opinions, and try to hear what they're saying, you may learn something yourself. Of course, it may be that you already think you're the expert, and can't be taught anything...:sssh: Talk about rude, overbearing and condescending. When it comes to music you've already listened to and you think it sucks, how is considering others' opinions going to change that? I've listened to the music and I think it sucks. Just like you with bands you hate, why pretend otherwise?
June 18, 200719 yr Talk about rude, overbearing and condescending. When it comes to music you've already listened to and you think it sucks, how is considering others' opinions going to change that? I've listened to the music and I think it sucks. Just like you with bands you hate, why pretend otherwise? Seriously. Back on topic, so we can keep this thread open! Moderator Hat firmly applied.
June 18, 200719 yr Seriously. Back on topic, so we can keep this thread open! Moderator Hat firmly applied. I guess that means I can't put my two cents in.
June 18, 200719 yr I guess that means I can't put my two cents in. You can say..."What Rockmom said!" and then list about 20 rap bands.
June 18, 200719 yr What Rockmom said....she's one smart lady. However, my post was not meant to be taken "personally." JMO On the topic of this thread...... Alabama :thumb: Outkast :thumb: Alisson Kraus & Union Station :thumb: :thumb:
June 18, 200719 yr You can say..."What Rockmom said!" and then list about 20 rap bands. YOU? You like rap? :eek:
June 18, 200719 yr On the topic of this thread...... Alabama :thumb: Outkast :thumb: Alisson Kraus & Union Station :thumb: :thumb: THANK YOU!!! I'm glad SOMEBODY listens to me around here!
June 18, 200719 yr Since when did music become anything other than subjective? It just irks me when people try to express their opinion as fact. :thumb: Thank you, that's all I was trying to say earlier.
June 20, 200719 yr CCR, The Grass Roots, Three Dog Night, Blood Sweat and Tears. I realize most are now defunct, but what the heck, I'm pretty close myself. And just to bug Schue, The Monkees and Herman's Hermits. I listen to music for entertainment and relaxation. I don't need to get my social commentary from a rock band. I actually pay very little attention to lyrics, I just like the sound. Never really concerned myself whether White Rabbit or Yellow Submarine concerned drug use. I'm not real sure what Buffalo Springfield was protesting or even Lay Down (Candles in the Rain). Sounded nice though.
June 20, 200719 yr CCR, The Grass Roots, Three Dog Night, Blood Sweat and Tears. I realize most are now defunct, but what the heck, I'm pretty close myself. And just to bug Schue, The Monkees and Herman's Hermits. I listen to music for entertainment and relaxation. I don't need to get my social commentary from a rock band. I actually pay very little attention to lyrics, I just like the sound. Never really concerned myself whether White Rabbit or Yellow Submarine concerned drug use. I'm not real sure what Buffalo Springfield was protesting or even Lay Down (Candles in the Rain). Sounded nice though. Wow! Three Dog Night should have been on my list! LOVE THEM! And, the Monkees too! Trivia: Neil Diamond (who should also be on my list) wrote many of the Monkees' songs!
June 20, 200719 yr CCR, The Grass Roots, Three Dog Night, Blood Sweat and Tears. I realize most are now defunct, but what the heck, I'm pretty close myself. And just to bug Schue, The Monkees and Herman's Hermits. I listen to music for entertainment and relaxation. I don't need to get my social commentary from a rock band. I actually pay very little attention to lyrics, I just like the sound. Never really concerned myself whether White Rabbit or Yellow Submarine concerned drug use. I'm not real sure what Buffalo Springfield was protesting or even Lay Down (Candles in the Rain). Sounded nice though. I love The Monkees and don't mind Herman's Hermits too much.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.