Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Last year for KY/TN game?

Featured Replies

I have heard that TN may not be interested in renewing the series after this upcoming season.

Anyone else heard anything on this?

If true, that would be a sad ending to the series. I hope it is not true.

This was a topic of discussion last year. Several of the big time Tennessee recruits were told to report to Knoxville in early June, which forced them to drop out of the game. This has been a problem for the past few years.

 

Tennessee wants to play the game in December, Kentucky has not been warm to this idea.

 

I've read in more than one Tennessee newspaper that this is indeed the last year for the series.

 

I've been told by more than one coach that if a series with another state cannot be arranged, you could see a East-West KY All-Star game.

I think Scribe nailed it.

 

When this came up last year I was told we (KY) would pursue IN as a replacement. If that didn't work out an East/West game could be possible but that would be a lot of work and a lot of expenses for the powers that be. We should all know some more after the game this week and I will share whatever I find out.

I also read where Tennessee is going to a month-long dead period in June, which would make the game in the current format next to impossible.

I've talked to a couple of Tennessee Coaches and they say the game has lost its luster. My response was if Kentucky hadn't had the success in the series they have had the last 5 years then we wouldn't be hearing about ending the series from a Tennessee side.

 

Play it in December then you will have the cries of players not playing in the game because their playing basketball.

I've talked to a couple of Tennessee Coaches and they say the game has lost its luster. My response was if Kentucky hadn't had the success in the series they have had the last 5 years then we wouldn't be hearing about ending the series from a Tennessee side.

 

Play it in December then you will have the cries of players not playing in the game because their playing basketball.

 

Despite Kentucky's success in the "all-star" game in the past half-decade, Tennessee still has a commanding lead in the series (15-8?). While I am not aware of the talent level of the 2006 Kentucky all-star roster, I do know that Tennessee's 2006 roster was a makeshift roster at best (and Tennessee still won), and the 2007 orange roster looks to be similar in a relative lack of talent. At least 15 SEC signees (8 at U. of Tennessee alone) and a couple of Notre Dame signees are sitting this game out.

 

Given the series lead, Tennessee is still playing this series with house money, and still would be, regardless of any outcomes, the next five years. Combine that with the fact that more and more top Tennessee players are not risking injury, or are getting a head start on their college careers, by bypassing this all-star game, and one would have to believe that saving face is not a compelling argument for Tennessee to be interested in discontinuing this series.

Despite Kentucky's success in the "all-star" game in the past half-decade, Tennessee still has a commanding lead in the series (15-8?). While I am not aware of the talent level of the 2006 Kentucky all-star roster, I do know that Tennessee's 2006 roster was a makeshift roster at best (and Tennessee still won), and the 2007 orange roster looks to be similar in a relative lack of talent. At least 15 SEC signees (8 at U. of Tennessee alone) and a couple of Notre Dame signees are sitting this game out.

 

In 2005, the Tennessee roster was very strong, with 8 UT signees among other D1 players. ( I could be wrong on the exact number). KY still won by 2 TD's, and were close to scoring at the end of the game. The Ky roster doesn't always have all the good players in our state, but has still been successful over the past 7 years.

 

I hope it continues in June. The KY kids have the same issues with reporting, injuries, etc. Let each state get their best 40 and play. I would think the game would become more interesting and better now that it is not so one-sided.

Despite Kentucky's success in the "all-star" game in the past half-decade, Tennessee still has a commanding lead in the series (15-8?). While I am not aware of the talent level of the 2006 Kentucky all-star roster, I do know that Tennessee's 2006 roster was a makeshift roster at best (and Tennessee still won), and the 2007 orange roster looks to be similar in a relative lack of talent. At least 15 SEC signees (8 at U. of Tennessee alone) and a couple of Notre Dame signees are sitting this game out.

 

Given the series lead, Tennessee is still playing this series with house money, and still would be, regardless of any outcomes, the next five years. Combine that with the fact that more and more top Tennessee players are not risking injury, or are getting a head start on their college careers, by bypassing this all-star game, and one would have to believe that saving face is not a compelling argument for Tennessee to be interested in discontinuing this series.

 

Sounds like sour grapes, er that's ooraanges to me:jump:

In 2005, the Tennessee roster was very strong, with 8 UT signees among other D1 players. ( I could be wrong on the exact number). KY still won by 2 TD's, and were close to scoring at the end of the game. The Ky roster doesn't always have all the good players in our state, but has still been successful over the past 7 years.

 

I hope it continues in June. The KY kids have the same issues with reporting, injuries, etc. Let each state get their best 40 and play. I would think the game would become more interesting and better now that it is not so one-sided.

 

I got the old program and counted. In 2005, their were 8 Tennessee signees. There were also signees to Memphis(4), Alabama (2), South Carolina, Louisville, Wake Forest, Mississippi State, Vandy(2), Ole Miss, and others.

 

For sure, in 2005, Tennessee did not have a "makeshift" roster. It was very good.

I got the old program and counted. In 2005, their were 8 Tennessee signees. There were also signees to Memphis(4), Alabama (2), South Carolina, Louisville, Wake Forest, Mississippi State, Vandy(2), Ole Miss, and others.

 

For sure, in 2005, Tennessee did not have a "makeshift" roster. It was very good.

 

My original post, which I may add has not been edited, never mentioned anything about the quality of the 2005 roster. The word "makeshift" was used only in reference to the 2006 roster.

Sounds like sour grapes, er that's ooraanges to me:jump:

 

The fact of the matter is, this all-star game is a nice reward for some players from both states, and I'm sure both the players and the coaches that do participate do take some level of pride in representing themselves and their home states. However, I would hardly consider this game as so meaningful that players and fans from each state stick their chests out and strut with Volunteer or Bluegrass pride for any meaningful amount of time that their state holds bragging rights in the series.

 

As has been pointed out by ChiefSmoke, even the Kentucky squad is apparently not getting the best talent for its team on a year-end, year-out basis. If a few "Tennessee Coaches...say the game has lost its luster", perhaps they are actually speaking from the heart. They certainly aren't "sour" about the state they represent and their state's all-time record in this series.

My original post, which I may add has not been edited, never mentioned anything about the quality of the 2005 roster. The word "makeshift" was used only in reference to the 2006 roster.

 

I thought your point was that Tennessee's best players not playing was the reason Ky has won lately. I apologize if I misunderstood.

 

I agree that Tennesse "saving face" is not a compelling argument. From what I know from our game director(Jimmie Reed) and his relationship with the Tennessee game director, that would not be the case. I would bet any changes being discussed would revolve around the logistics of playing the game at the best venue, at the best time, and with the best players possible. And, Tennessee won last year.

 

I hope both states continue to get their best 40, whoever they may be, level, etc, and continue to play. It is a great event. I am confident both states can find 40 quality players who will give a great effort. The times I've been involved in the game, it seemed to mean alot to both sets of kids and coaches.

 

I can also tell you that in all 3 years, the KY all star staff and coaches had great respect for the Tennessee staff and team. Tennessee has no reason to "save face." We are glad that now we can compete with Tennessee and have success in the series.

I thought your point was that Tennessee's best players not playing was the reason Ky has won lately. I apologize if I misunderstood....

I can also tell you that in all 3 years, the KY all star staff and coaches had great respect for the Tennessee staff and team. Tennessee has no reason to "save face." We are glad that now we can compete with Tennessee and have success in the series.

 

No, I didn't mean that, although I can see how it may have read that way. I only brought up the "makeshift" 2006 Tennessee roster to point out that this game, by virtue of the quality of the rosters dwindling, appears to be taking on less importance, at least in the potential players' eyes. The fact that Kentucky seems to be experiencing the same relative apathy among its star players towards participation in this game says that the game "losing its luster" may be a sentiment expressed by coaches from both states, not just Tennessee.

 

I only commented on this thread because it's hard for me to grasp the theory posed by Tigertalker that "...the success [Kentucky has had] in the series...the last 5 years [is a reason for] ending the series from a Tennessee side". Considering the series as a whole, a few recent years of being on the short end of the stick, no matter how meaningful the game is, doesn't diminish Tennessee's whole body of work in the series.

 

Ditto on the respect; Kentucky representation, whether in the all-star game or in head-to-head matchups during the regular season, is top-notch and high class. I couldn't say the same as a whole about our neighbors in some of Tennessee's other border states.

I think Tennessee is taking more stock in the Tennessee/Georgia All-Star game also. The beginning of this series has coincided with Kentucky's success in the Ky/Tn series. Last year, many of the high end players played in the TN/GA game.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.