May 25, 200719 yr Author Well from what I understand Davis has potential to be a decent player, but didnt even play this past season. Belton seems very similar to Stewart except hes stronger, but not the athlete Stewart is. Henry and McClain are both obviously nice players, but I dont think either are as good as Legion and Patterson. Mitchell is potentially a pretty good player, he is a scorer, but weak defensively. And I dont know anything about Bishop. Davis was considered the best SG prospect in Texas before he tore his ACL last spring. He could have returned in January, but wanted to get back to full health for his college career. He has unlimited range and would have no doubt been a top 100 player if he didn't get hurt. Not sure where you heard Mitchell is a liability on defense. He's 6'5 200+ already and very physical. He didn't play much AAU ball and still landed a high ranking. I will say he will be at worst equal to Legion at the next level. Bishop is a SF that was forced by injury to run the PG spot all year at St Benedicts Prep (See Hurley family). He's a smooth lefty with an above average jumper and a very good basketball IQ. Sure UK had two players ranked higher than any of the UC guys, but UC had 4 players ranked above the #3 at UK. Patterson gave UK a huge jump in the rankings, and it's easy to spin it either way...
May 25, 200719 yr Are these true UC recruits? When you think of a UC recruit over the last 10 years you think of two things. A good guard, or a very physical forward. Will Mick steer the ship in the same direction?
May 25, 200719 yr Author Are these true UC recruits? When you think of a UC recruit over the last 10 years you think of two things. A good guard, or a very physical forward. Will Mick steer the ship in the same direction? Mick is more in the Pitino mold than Huggs. He likes the long athletic wings and bigs that can get up and down the floor. It's going to be much more of an open court system. Mike Williams will fit the Max/Hicks/Kenyon mold in the paint to a tee though. Vaughn is looking more and more like Logan every day. In all I think this will be the last team in a while that looks like a Huggins team because they are still building it up....
May 25, 200719 yr Mick is more in the Pitino mold than Huggs. He likes the long athletic wings and bigs that can get up and down the floor. It's going to be much more of an open court system. Mike Williams will fit the Max/Hicks/Kenyon mold in the paint to a tee though. Vaughn is looking more and more like Logan every day. In all I think this will be the last team in a while that looks like a Huggins team because they are still building it up.... That's interesting. I bet you will miss the bangers down low huh?
May 25, 200719 yr Author That's interesting. I bet you will miss the bangers down low huh? I don't think they will go away completely because the Big East is a very physical conference. Kenny Belton is a banger in this class and Yancey Gates fits that mold in 08...
May 25, 200719 yr ^ Without question.....Patrick Patterson, was the best of the also rans...and he spun it well enough...that the ranking gurus took to rank them higher...the beauty is...if that class doesn't produce a Final Four....they will have underacheived. Wait a minute. He went from being a coveted jewel of Duke to an also ran. Please! I've said for a long time that I thought he was overrated. You and some others scoffed at that. Just because he chose UK don't do a complete 180.
May 25, 200719 yr Davis was considered the best SG prospect in Texas before he tore his ACL last spring. He could have returned in January, but wanted to get back to full health for his college career. He has unlimited range and would have no doubt been a top 100 player if he didn't get hurt. Not sure where you heard Mitchell is a liability on defense. He's 6'5 200+ already and very physical. He didn't play much AAU ball and still landed a high ranking. I will say he will be at worst equal to Legion at the next level. Bishop is a SF that was forced by injury to run the PG spot all year at St Benedicts Prep (See Hurley family). He's a smooth lefty with an above average jumper and a very good basketball IQ. Sure UK had two players ranked higher than any of the UC guys, but UC had 4 players ranked above the #3 at UK. Patterson gave UK a huge jump in the rankings, and it's easy to spin it either way... At worst? You have Mitchell ranked in the 100s and Legion ranked 43rd and at worst he will be as good as Legion? That does not make sense even beyond the rankings. Mitchell has played in Florida where there is some prospects, but it is not a great high school basketball state. Legion has played for OakHill and played against the best players in the nation conistently. I find it almost impossible to say that at worst Mitchell will be as just as good as Legion. As for your opinion that Cinncinati has a better class than UK I have no proble with that. I disagree with you as does Rivals, but I understand it is fairly close.
May 25, 200719 yr Author At worst? You have Mitchell ranked in the 100s and Legion ranked 43rd and at worst he will be as good as Legion? That does not make sense even beyond the rankings. Mitchell has played in Florida where there is some prospects, but it is not a great high school basketball state. Legion has played for OakHill and played against the best players in the nation conistently. I find it almost impossible to say that at worst Mitchell will be as just as good as Legion. As for your opinion that Cinncinati has a better class than UK I have no proble with that. I disagree with you as does Rivals, but I understand it is fairly close. You're a UK homer that knows very little about Mitchell's game. It's no surprise that's how you feel. Playing for Oak Hill and being a highly ranked player is not a direct indicator of success. Alvin is a physically imposing SG that will flourish in Mick's system. I'll make sure to remind you as it happens... :jump:
May 25, 200719 yr You're a UK homer that knows very little about Mitchell's game. It's no surprise that's how you feel. Playing for Oak Hill and being a highly ranked player is not a direct indicator of success. Alvin is a physically imposing SG that will flourish in Mick's system. I'll make sure to remind you as it happens... :jump: Is there a reason for the homer comments? I am not building up Patterson and Legion beyond where they are right now. I think playing for Oak Hill and being ranked fairly high shows he is much more proven than Mitchell is at this point. Hey he could end up being better than Legion. But to say at worst he will be just as good seems out there to me.
May 25, 200719 yr Author Is there a reason for the homer comments? I am not building up Patterson and Legion beyond where they are right now. I think playing for Oak Hill and being ranked fairly high shows he is much more proven than Mitchell is at this point. Hey he could end up being better than Legion. But to say at worst he will be just as good seems out there to me. Is it a bit of a bold prediction? Sure. But one I believe will turn out to be true....
May 25, 200719 yr Do they go beyond 30? How do XU and Dayton's class look? I'm just happy to see good basketball around here again.
May 25, 200719 yr Is it a bit of a bold prediction? Sure. But one I believe will turn out to be true.... I dont understand why I am getting called a homer when I do not agree that the 106th best ranked player is not head and shoulders better than the 43rd ranked player. You would be calling me a homer if I made the bold prediction that AJ Stewart would at worst be every bit as good a player as McClain is going to be at Cinncinatti.
May 25, 200719 yr Author I dont understand why I am getting called a homer when I do not agree that the 106th best ranked player is not head and shoulders better than the 43rd ranked player. You would be calling me a homer if I made the bold prediction that AJ Stewart would at worst be every bit as good a player as McClain is going to be at Cinncinatti. Mitchell wasn't out on the AAU circuit so he didn't get seen by the national guys that do the rankings and he still ended up considered right around the top 100. He's a player on the rise, and those are the types you have to watch out for in the fall. Stewart is a guy that has dropped how many spots in a year? Apples and anchovies...
May 25, 200719 yr Mitchell wasn't out on the AAU circuit so he didn't get seen by the national guys that do the rankings and he still ended up considered right around the top 100. He's a player on the rise, and those are the types you have to watch out for in the fall. Stewart is a guy that has dropped how many spots in a year? Apples and anchovies... My argument with Mitchell and Legion is that Legion is much more proven. Since he did not participate in these camps, unless his team played great competition during their season it is unknown how good a player Mitchell is. He could be great, but I think it is very hard to tell with him right now.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.