Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Another scoring question

Featured Replies

Any runs past that point are unearned.

 

True for that particular pitcher. However, if a reliever comes in during that inning AFTER 3 outs WOULD have occurred and then gives up runs, they are judged as if he started the inning .

 

So in this example, lets say the pitcher was relieved after giving up the unearned runs. He promptly gives up a dinger. That run IS earned.

  • Replies 33
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand by my first interpretation. I have gone back and read and re-read the rule. As long as the first three runners reached w/out error involved and even after the muffed foul ball, a triple occured which is a hit(safe hit, read the rule) which would count these runners as earned. The person who hit the tirple then scores, he is not an earned run. I will find out tomorrow and if I am wrong I will be back to admit that I was wrong but be ready if I am right, my old football friend.

I thought MLB rules were different then high school rules. Not meaning to argue but this happened today in JV game and I was asked how to score it.

 

I said that since the batter reached base then he was given a triple while an error was also charged to the catcher. I also said that since none of the runs would have scored had the catch been made because it would have been the third out. Since the National Federation doesn't out their rule book online I can't check.

 

 

1. As far as I know, this particular issue is the same in MLB and FED.

 

2. Catcher is charged with an error.

 

3. Hitter is then credited with a triple.

 

4. Runs are unearned.

I stand by my first interpretation. I have gone back and read and re-read the rule. As long as the first three runners reached w/out error involved and even after the muffed foul ball, a triple occured which is a hit which would count these runners as earned. The person who hit the tirple then scores, he is not an earned run. I will find out tomorrow and if I am wrong I will be back to admit that I was wrong but be ready if I am right, my old football friend.

 

 

1. You cannot disregard this part of the wording: 10.18a "...BEFORE fielding chances have been offered to put out the offensive team."

 

THAT is the key.

 

I'll be anxiously awaiting your humble return.;)

It is not confusing IMO. The first part of it says to reconstruct the inning as if there were no errors. In this case, the 3rd out would have occurred on the popup to the catcher. No runs had scored prior to that would-be out, thus, none of the runs in this scenario are earned. Just because you get on base without aid of an error does not mean your run is earned.

cshs81 is correct. The key is reconstructing the ending as if the errors did not occur. Then you can figure out the earned runs. Just has stated by cshs81. E2.

Ok, for all you baseball experts. I have spoken to two major league scouts, not that they know as much as us BGP posters but here is what they said. They agreed w/me. If all three baserunners reached on a hit, walk or what have ya and then reach home by a safe hit(no matter if FOUL ball was muffed) the runs are considered earned. However, they also felt like the batter who hit the triple and then scored could possibly be unearned due to the muffed foul ball. The main thing was that the muffed ball was FOUL, no error charged to the catcher, therefore, that makes the runs earned.

 

Read the above site I posted, if you read it, this all makes sense today. I will see some more so-called experts later and ask for their opinions also.

Ok, for all you baseball experts. I have spoken to two major league scouts, not that they know as much as us BGP posters but here is what they said. They agreed w/me. If all three baserunners reached on a hit, walk or what have ya and then reach home by a safe hit(no matter if FOUL ball was muffed) the runs are considered earned. However, they also felt like the batter who hit the triple and then scored could possibly be unearned due to the muffed foul ball. The main thing was that the muffed ball was FOUL, no error charged to the catcher, therefore, that makes the runs earned.

 

Read the above site I posted, if you read it, this all makes sense today. I will see some more so-called experts later and ask for their opinions also.

Regardless of fair or foul territory, when attempting a catch. If a fielder, is under the ball easily and ready to catch, then the ball is not maintained and the subsequent batter reaches, he is credited with a hit and also, an error is charged to the fielder.

 

The runs can be validated, with additional batters by either hits or walks. If the ball would have been caught for the final out, then the runs would be unearned.

Regardless of fair or foul territory, when attempting a catch. If a fielder, is under the ball easily and ready to catch, then the ball is not maintained and the subsequent batter reaches, he is credited with a hit and also, an error is charged to the fielder.

 

The runs can be validated, with additional batters by either hits or walks. If the ball would have been caught for the final out, then the runs would be unearned.

 

Not that I don't believe you because this all makes sense, do you have any background w/baseball?

 

I just got off the phone w/an ex-pro and his "gut" feeling is they are unearned due to the dropped ball being the could be third out. But, he also said since it was a foul ball, it makes the question very interesting. I guess someone is going to have to call the Reds office to ask their official scorer what he would score it as.

 

All Tell, look what you started!!!

Not that I don't believe you because this all makes sense, do you have any background w/baseball?

 

I just got off the phone w/an ex-pro and his "gut" feeling is they are unearned due to the dropped ball being the could be third out. But, he also said since it was a foul ball, it makes the question very interesting. I guess someone is going to have to call the Reds office to ask their official scorer what he would score it as.

 

All Tell, look what you started!!!

Just a little, although others would argue.....:thumb:
Not that I don't believe you because this all makes sense, do you have any background w/baseball?

I just got off the phone w/an ex-pro and his "gut" feeling is they are unearned due to the dropped ball being the could be third out. But, he also said since it was a foul ball, it makes the question very interesting. I guess someone is going to have to call the Reds office to ask their official scorer what he would score it as.

 

All Tell, look what you started!!!

 

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

 

Um, it's not much more solid than Strike3 when it comes to baseball...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

 

Um, it's not much more solid than Strike3 when it comes to baseball...

Thanks and I feel the same, about you 'bro....:thumb:

 

I remember having a conversation, which turned into an argument on this guys part, because of where the fielder was positioned, when he attempted to catch a pop-up.

 

The 1st Baseman, was in foul and came in, to catch a pop-up, in foul territory but the ball hit his glove and would have landed fair, if not touched....Ump ruled "fair" and live ball, batter reached base.

 

He argued, 1B was in foul and we went from normal conversation, to voice raising disagreeing and he still, believes he was right.

Thanks and I feel the same, about you 'bro....:thumb:

 

I remember having a conversation, which turned into an argument on this guys part, because of where the fielder was positioned, when he attempted to catch a pop-up.

 

The 1st Baseman, was in foul and came in, to catch a pop-up, in foul territory but the ball hit his glove and would have landed fair, if not touched....Ump ruled "fair" and live ball, batter reached base.

 

He argued, 1B was in foul and we went from normal conversation, to voice raising disagreeing and he still, believes he was right.

 

Not you??? :lol:

1. Yes, E-2, samething happend to A-Rod in the 1st inning of 1st game of season. dropped a foul ball then the runner got on base, error on Arod and Single for whoever was hitting.

 

2. All runs are unearned because a "routine" out should have been made to end the inning. After any error with two outs where the play is "routine" then all runs following that error are deemed unearned.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.