Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How soon will UK name a coach now

Featured Replies

So you think what he's done in the NBA would not be impressive to young 5 star athletes?

  • Replies 30
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Early next week at the latest.

So you think what he done in the NBA would not be impressive to young 5 star athletes?
Me personally, No. I think they want to know how to get their and if Roy Williams, Jim Boeheim or Jim Calhoun, walked into a players house recruiting him, it would mean more than if D'Antoni did.
I understand your point, regarding how well the Suns are playing but Nash and crew, were not recruited to play.

 

I believe he may be a x's and o's guy but not sure on the recruiting aspect and coaching NBA players, is not the same as recruiting NBA players.

 

No offense intended.

 

I agree strike, his recruiting ability is completely untested. Although I come from a different camp than those looking for a recruiter first and a coach second. I would rather have the guy who is a coach number one, because the guy who is just a great recruiter and an average coach is going to get killed in the years that he does not manage to get the "best" recruits. The guy who is the above average x's and o's guy can coach up average to above average recruits into a good team. I'll take my chances with the great coach, not the guy who is trying to sell to indecisive 16 and 17 year old kids. Especially considering how hit and miss recruiting is. Even the best classes on paper(Crawford, Rondo, Bradley, and Morris) sometimes don't pan out...

 

This is also why I think that Matta and Barnes are terrible options for UK because I think very poorly on their coaching skills from an x's and o's standpoint.

So you think what he done in the NBA would not be impressive to young 5 star athletes?

 

I think it would definately be impressive with young athletes. However, point guards like Nash don't come around all that often and his offense HAS to have a very good point guard to work properly. I think it would be far from a sure thing in college.

I agree strike, his recruiting ability is completely untested. Although I come from a different camp than those looking for a recruiter first and a coach second. I would rather have the guy who is a coach number one, because the guy who is just a great recruiter and an average coach is going to get killed in the years that he does not manage to get the "best" recruits. The guy who is the above average x's and o's guy can coach up average to above average recruits into a good team. I'll take my chances with the great coach, not the guy who is trying to sell to indecisive 16 and 17 year old kids. Especially considering how hit and miss recruiting is. Even the best classes on paper(Crawford, Rondo, Bradley, and Morris) sometimes don't pan out...

 

This is also why I think that Matta and Barnes are terrible options for UK because I think very poorly on their coaching skills from an x's and o's standpoint.

Excellent point but is D'Antoni a great coach....I'm not sure.

 

That was a solid team, before his arrival and Nash, made them ascend the elite in the NBA, in my opinion. Plus, many may not agree but I feel there is far less coaching in the NBA, than the College game.

Either tomorrow or Saturday at the latest.

 

I look for Billy G. to be introduced at that time.

Excellent point but is D'Antoni a great coach....I'm not sure.

 

That was a solid team, before his arrival and Nash, made them ascend the elite in the NBA, in my opinion. Plus, many may not agree but I feel there is far less coaching in the NBA, than the College game.

 

Valid question. I think he is far superior to Barnes and Matta.

 

I think there is a ton of coaching and tactics in the NBA(not coaching like shooting form and fundamental type coaching), but in game recognition of what the other team is doing and the best way strategically to attack it. Matta and Barnes stink at that. IMO I would rather roll the dice with Pelphrey or Ford instead of Matta or Barnes.

I see your points but I think now that Billy D has declined all of the candidates being mentioned have questionable areas in their resume most of which have been listed on this site at some point...I just think if were choosing out of a pool of question marks.. I personally see some upside with Antoni.

Valid question. I think he is far superior to Barnes and Matta.

 

I think there is a ton of coaching and tactics in the NBA(not coaching like shooting form and fundamental type coaching), but in game recognition of what the other team is doing and the best way strategically to attack it. Matta and Barnes stink at that.

I'll just be honest, Barnes and Matta, don't impress me other than the recruiting phase. Their teams, often rely on high scoring output to win and as we all will agree, defense must be played...just ask Mumme.

 

I will respectfully disagree, with coaching strategy in the NBA. Often, offensive sets are called for players but athleticism, is more prevalent until the last 2 minutes, where some coaching ocurrs.

I'll just be honest, Barnes and Matta, don't impress me other than the recruiting phase. Their teams, often rely on high scoring output to win and as we all will agree, defense must be played...just ask Mumme.

 

I will respectfully disagree, with coaching strategy in the NBA. Often, offensive sets are called for players but athleticism, is more prevalent until the last 2 minutes, where some coaching ocurrs.

 

Fair enough. The NBA is all about matchups, but the best coaches in the NBA are the ones who run sets to get those matchups.

 

I have held season tickets at UK for 20 years and UK will be taking a huge step down in terms of coaching if Barnes or Matta is hired IMO.

I dont by any means think that D'Antoni is, or will be a candidate for the job.

 

That said, it doesnt mean he wouldnt be a good one. This guy has turned the likes of Raja Bell, a former CBA, etc. journeyman, Boris Diaw who did nothing in Atlanta, and Leandro Barbosa into major players on one of the best teams in the NBA. He has done a lot for some of these younger NBA players and to think that his style of play wouldnt be appealing and get some guys to the NBA, or at least have the players thinking it would get them to the NBA is crazy IMO. I think it would definitely be appealing, but I cant see him leaving the NBA.

Fair enough. The NBA is all about matchups, but the best coaches in the NBA are the ones who run sets to get those matchups.

 

I have held season tickets at UK for 20 years and UK will be taking a huge step down in terms of coaching if Barnes or Matta is hired IMO.

I always get concerned, when coaches are moving around frequently and are acclaimed, to be the best, based off 1-2 years.

 

Recruiters, yes but I'm not convinced on the other aspects. Besides, once Matta picked up the gum and put in back in, all I could do was say.....why?

 

:D

I Miss Tubby.;)

 

 

Well from the sound of things you won't have to miss him long. He's about the same as all the plan B's they've mentioned.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.