Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Donovan: UK or the NBA?

Featured Replies

Vitale was going off like a madman earlier about Memphis too. I hope that he is wrong about it.

 

 

Memphis?? In regards to what?

 

 

Nevermind, you're talking about the Grizz....

  • Replies 80
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if Donovan were to happen to come to UK, then are we going to have to go through the "I'm not going to the NBA" stuff every year like we we through with Pitino.

It might be a lot like when Pitino was at UK if Donovan comes here with the NBA calling all of the time. But if that is going on then that would mean that the basketball team is doing well and I would rather have a coach that was in demand than one that was not pursued much at all.

  • Author
Keep in mind if he takes the Heat job he will have no state or property taxes. Same deal if he stays at UF. The numbers are different from any UK offer...

No state or property taxes?

They definitely have a state tax and property tax.

I believe you are mistaken on that.

Florida doesn't have an income tax.

New Hampshire is the only state that doesn't have a sales or income tax. I believe.

The property tax comment is my mistake, something I said off the cuff while on the phone with gt last night.

 

The income tax does make a difference, though.

No state or property taxes?

They definitely have a state tax and property tax.

I believe you are mistaken on that.

Florida doesn't have an income tax.

New Hampshire is the only state that doesn't have a sales or income tax. I believe.

I might be off on the logistics but the savings either way distorts the numbers...

The similarities between Pitino and Donovan are kinda scary. Pitino made the final four in 94, won the title in 96, LOST in 97, and was coaching in the NBA the next season. Donovan made it to the final four in 03 or 04 (not exactly sure), won the title last season, and is now in the title game this season. Could he be headed down the same path as Pitino??? And of all places Donovan could go, I honestly don't see the Miami Heat as a possibility. Shaq has 3 years left in his career and there is no way that he is going to spend those 3 seasons being coached by a rookie NBA coach who is unproven on that level! :ylsuper:

The similarities between Pitino and Donovan are kinda scary. Pitino made the final four in 94, won the title in 96, LOST in 97, and was coaching in the NBA the next season. Donovan made it to the final four in 03 or 04 (not exactly sure), won the title last season, and is now in the title game this season. Could he be headed down the same path as Pitino??? And of all places Donovan could go, I honestly don't see the Miami Heat as a possibility. Shaq has 3 years left in his career and there is no way that he is going to spend those 3 seasons being coached by a rookie NBA coach who is unproven on that level! :ylsuper:
Donovan made the title game in 2000, won last year, and is in the title game again this year.
  • Author
I might be off on the logistics but the savings either way distorts the numbers...

Sure the income tax is a difference, but the state of Florida gets their money. Could be higher property tax, higher use tax and so on, but it has been duly noted.

Sure the income tax is a difference, but the state of Florida gets their money. Could be higher property tax, higher use tax and so on, but it has been duly noted.

I think 02 needs to offer a full breakdown given his "hanging chad" last night... :lol:

Donovan made the title game in 2000, won last year, and is in the title game again this year.

 

Thanks for the correction! All I can remember is David Lee being on that Florida team. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago!!!

Let's say the base salaries offered is the 2.8 from UK and the 2.5 reportedly on the table from Florida before the UK job opened up.

 

Kentucky, while having a pretty 'regressive' state tax system, does have a 6% maximum bracket. 6% of 2,800,000 is 168,000, effectively lowering the offer to 2.6 million. So that would knock more than half off the 'raise' over Florida's money that was already on the table before UK started looking for a coach. Not a big difference, but a differnce. Certainly enough to show that UK's initial offer isn't blowing anyone out of the water, which continues to baffle me.

No state or property taxes?

They definitely have a state tax and property tax.

I believe you are mistaken on that.

Florida doesn't have an income tax.

New Hampshire is the only state that doesn't have a sales or income tax. I believe.

When I lived in Texas in the early 80's I dont think they had a state income tax. They may now, but I dont think they did at the time.

  • Author

Wrong again.

The base salary for Donovan at UK or at UF will be very similar in the 175K to 200K range. Partly due to Title IX head coaching base salaries are very similar for men and women coaches.

However, where the bread is buttered is through TV/Radio contracts which is outside the base scale.

Throw in shoe contracts, camp money, spekaing engagements and it adds up to your total of 2 million plus.

You can estimate the drawing capability of a coach and extend even more money. Right now some coaches are actually closer to 3 million with some incentives and the like.

UK offer will be closer to 3.5 million to 4 million a year. The backend money after 7 years was a reported 3.5 million. I have heard that amount is low.

UK sent the contract to Donovan last Sunday.

Money will not be an issue.

If it comes down to it...UK will bid close to NBA money.

Wrong again.

The base salary for Donovan at UK or at UF will be very similar in the 175K to 200K range. Partly due to Title IX head coaching base salaries are very similar for men and women coaches.

However, where the bread is buttered is through TV/Radio contracts which is outside the base scale.

Throw in shoe contracts, camp money, spekaing engagements and it adds up to your total of 2 million plus.

You can estimate the drawing capability of a coach and extend even more money. Right now some coaches are actually closer to 3 million with some incentives and the like.

UK offer will be closer to 3.5 million to 4 million a year. The backend money after 7 years was a reported 3.5 million. I have heard that amount is low.

UK sent the contract to Donovan last Sunday.

Money will not be an issue.

If it comes down to it...UK will bid close to NBA money.

When I say base salary, I mean the minimum without incentive bonuses.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.