Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2007 Ryle

Featured Replies

What does Ryle need to do to improve in 2007? What do they need to keep doing to be successful? Remember, please be constructive.

Look for Ryle to repeat the success they had last season. Although they loose alot, they bring back just as much. Does anybody know the schedule for next season, i've heard a couple different games?

  • Author

I posted this in another thread about Ryle and want to add it here:

 

Part of the recipe is attracting new ingredients and it looks like Ryle's state runner up finish is doing just that.

 

On top of the finish, Coach Warner does a very good job connecting with his players which I believe is more important than ever given the mentality of most young people today.

 

On working smart, Ryle needs to figure out how to get all 110 kids involved on the field (practice and game). I would look at doing the following:

 

1. Try to two platoon as much as possible.

 

2. Accept nothing less than ten JV games. Schedule T and X if people won't play you and make sure you have a back up plan with a couple of schools in case someone backs out on you at the last minute. The more you get the program rolling the more likely teams are going to be to back out of JV games with you.

 

3. I would think hard about limiting who can play JV football to sophomores and maybe juniors but never ever seniors.

 

4. I would have one if not two (one for offensive and one for defense) Scout Team Coordinators. With this many kids in the program the Scout Team is going to be where many of the 110 players will make their greatest contribution to the program. Those kids need to know how important they are (because they are important) and having a Scout Team Coordinator(s) does just that.

 

5. Work on speed and agility. Ryle has been traditionally slow and it was very apparent against T in the finals.

 

6. Work smart! biggrin.gif

 

I talked Ryle over with some "experts" recently and we all agree that Ryle needs work on the offensive side of the football.

 

Also, once Ryle settles on an offensive set(s) it needs to be fully implemented on the JV and Freshman levels.

 

Also, Coach Warner, Coach Thompson, and Coach Trosper need to "force" the Boone County School Administration to resurrect junior high football.

 

Living in Boone County I hear lots of excuses on why the local teams can't compete with T and X. Junior high football would be a huge step in the right direction.

Boone county schools have never had middle school football.

They did have freshman football in the junior high schools, that is when 7, 8, and 9 grades were in one building and 10, 11 and 12 in the high schools.

It would be awesome if they would start junior high football. The local youth program has offered a great deal of support to get it started but they still say "no" for some reason.

I'm not being critical, but am I understanding that Boone County Schools have a JFL program, has a varsity program, but does not have a junior high school football program? Is this just Boone County Schools, or is this all the schools in Boone County?

 

Does anyone know a reason for this? I just can't fathom why an area with the population of Boone County would not have a junior high school football program. I hope the powers that be can be persuaded to implement a program for these junior high players.

  • Author

In Boone County there is a pee wee organization that handles football for all 1st through 8th graders and then Boone, Conner, and Ryle take over in the 9th grade.

 

The pee wee program is a good one but they don't have the resources to handle all of the kids wanting to play. For example, my son's midget team started off with about 90 players last year and only about 14 of the 90 play. Just so everyone knows this is not sour grapes on my part, my son was one of the 14 that played.

 

My understanding is that the powers that be in the pee wee organization approached the Boone County school system about taking over 7th and 8th grade football and the school system wants nothing to do with it because they don't want to fund it.

 

If the schools would take over 7th and 8th grade football they would be much better off on the varsity level and it would free up much needed resources in the pee wee organization.

 

Many people in Boone County have no problem complaining about the likes of T and X but instead of looking in the mirror for answers they bury their heads in the sand.

 

I don't want to get too far off topic. To bring this full circle I want to go back to what I said above and that is Coach Warner, Coach Thompson, and Coach Trosper need to force the hand of the Administration in Boone County to take over 7th and 8th grade football.

Or maybe the parents of the kids could fund it.:sssh:

In Boone County there is a pee wee organization that handles football for all 1st through 8th graders and then Boone, Conner, and Ryle take over in the 9th grade.

 

The pee wee program is a good one but they don't have the resources to handle all of the kids wanting to play. For example, my son's midget team started off with about 90 players last year and only about 14 of the 90 play. Just so everyone knows this is not sour grapes on my part, my son was one of the 14 that played.

 

My understanding is that the powers that be in the pee wee organization approached the Boone County school system about taking over 7th and 8th grade football and the school system wants nothing to do with it because they don't want to fund it.

 

If the schools would take over 7th and 8th grade football they would be much better off on the varsity level and it would free up much needed resources in the pee wee organization.

 

Many people in Boone County have no problem complaining about the likes of T and X but instead of looking in the mirror for answers they bury their heads in the sand.

 

I don't want to get too far off topic. To bring this full circle I want to go back to what I said above and that is Coach Warner, Coach Thompson, and Coach Trosper need to force the hand of the Administration in Boone County to take over 7th and 8th grade football.

 

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard...

 

I mean for the kids, not your post...CYA

I think that Troy Styer at Campbell has a situation right now that can be used as an example for doing the right thing when it comes to lower level football. He has the Red Devil Organization that helps feed his program, which is very compareble to Boone County League. You get some of their players, but they also have a lot of kids that go to NCC, and some to Cov and Highlands. He has also spurred interest in his middle school team, which is keeping around sixty seventh and eight graders, of which almost all will attend Campbell. Finally, he has restablished the county elementary league that allows younger children to play football without a weight limit. This allows the bigger kids to get out at a younger age. I think Troy is providing opportunities in his system for kids to play, no matter what their circustances entail. This could be done in Boone Co, but two things would have to happen. You would have to get the funding, but you would also have to find some instructional minded coaches for your other leagues. Winning at a yong age is important IMO, but not as important in instructing ALL player, not just starters. Guru, I am going to assume I know which team you were refering to. How many seconds get an ample amount of playing time on that team? If it is the team I am thinking of, I know they have a ton of scrimmages over top of their regular games. I will always think that there is a difference in preparing teams to be great high school football TEAMS, and winning pee-wee super bowls. There is a place for both, I like the system Troy has set to provide for the instructional league. It allows player who would never see the field in the NKYFL to competatively play.

In Boone County there is a pee wee organization that handles football for all 1st through 8th graders and then Boone, Conner, and Ryle take over in the 9th grade.

 

The pee wee program is a good one but they don't have the resources to handle all of the kids wanting to play. For example, my son's midget team started off with about 90 players last year and only about 14 of the 90 play. Just so everyone knows this is not sour grapes on my part, my son was one of the 14 that played.

 

My understanding is that the powers that be in the pee wee organization approached the Boone County school system about taking over 7th and 8th grade football and the school system wants nothing to do with it because they don't want to fund it.

 

If the schools would take over 7th and 8th grade football they would be much better off on the varsity level and it would free up much needed resources in the pee wee organization.

 

Many people in Boone County have no problem complaining about the likes of T and X but instead of looking in the mirror for answers they bury their heads in the sand.

 

I don't want to get too far off topic. To bring this full circle I want to go back to what I said above and that is Coach Warner, Coach Thompson, and Coach Trosper need to force the hand of the Administration in Boone County to take over 7th and 8th grade football.

 

Were you being facetious, or were there literally 90 kids on that team? If you were serious, why don't they divide the players into four teams? I can't imagine having over 25 kids on the same team. Many good players could be falling threw the cracks and will lose interest before they ever reach junior high or high school.

 

I personally feel that junior high school football should be a school sport, I was under the misguided assumption that all schools had a school ran junior high program. In my area the varsity coaches want the school to run the junior high program, mainly so the varsity coach can choose the junior high coach and start teaching the varsity offense and defense.

  • Author

Actually there were closer to 100 I believe but I used 90 to be safe because I know some quit.

 

The league wanted to expand the amount of midget teams this year (2007) but they didn't have the resources (coaches) to do it.

 

My point with all of this is Boone, Ryle, and Conner are missing out on a lot of potential and it is in large part due to the fact the school system won't take over junior high football.

Were you being facetious, or were there literally 90 kids on that team? If you were serious, why don't they divide the players into four teams? I can't imagine having over 25 kids on the same team. Many good players could be falling threw the cracks and will lose interest before they ever reach junior high or high school.

 

I personally feel that junior high school football should be a school sport, I was under the misguided assumption that all schools had a school ran junior high program. In my area the varsity coaches want the school to run the junior high program, mainly so the varsity coach can choose the junior high coach and start teaching the varsity offense and defense.

In NKY, there is a Boone county peewee league that covers grades 1-8. There is the NKYFL peewee league that also covers grades 1-8. There is a middle school league that covers middle schools in Campbell, Pendleton, and Kenton counties. There is now an elementary league in Campbell County. Finally, I think, there is a Ft. Thomas youth league that I think goes from grades 3-8, but I could be wrong on those grades. The pee wee leagues are very competative, but for this reason, they concetrate a lot more on their ones than their seconds. They also send players to all different schools. The rest of the leagues are more instructional. There is great coaching in every league, the leagues are just different in their goals and rules. The Ft. Thomas league's goal is to prepare kids to win state at Highlands, thus they run what Highlands runs. The pee wee coaches are not linked to high school staffs that I am aware of. The middle school teams are usually set up instructionally with the high school that they feed.

In NKY, there is a Boone county peewee league that covers grades 1-8. There is the NKYFL peewee league that also covers grades 1-8. There is a middle school league that covers middle schools in Campbell, Pendleton, and Kenton counties. There is now an elementary league in Campbell County. Finally, I think, there is a Ft. Thomas youth league that I think goes from grades 3-8, but I could be wrong on those grades. The pee wee leagues are very competative, but for this reason, they concetrate a lot more on their ones than their seconds. They also send players to all different schools. The rest of the leagues are more instructional. There is great coaching in every league, the leagues are just different in their goals and rules. The Ft. Thomas league's goal is to prepare kids to win state at Highlands, thus they run what Highlands runs. The pee wee coaches are not linked to high school staffs that I am aware of. The middle school teams are usually set up instructionally with the high school that they feed.

 

In Greenup, Boyd, and Carter Counties each school district has a Junior Football League (Raceland, Russell, Greenup Co, Boyd Co, Ashland, Fairview, East Carter, West Carter) Then, most of the above schools come together to form a youth league. Each school has K-6 teams (K-2 being flag) then we play games against the other schools. All the Raceland JFL kids end up playing for Raceland, all the Russell JFL kids end up playing for Russell, ect.

 

Then all the same school districts have a school affiliated junior high program, that plays their games against the other school affiliated junior high program. In fact our school insurance will not allow us to play a junior high game against a non-school affiliated team.

 

Now, I will quit talking about JFL. And try to stay on topic.

 

I believe the aforementioned schools are missing a great opportunity my not taking over the junior high program. I now these schools have a good amount of success, but I believe there is always room for improvement, and this is a great opportunity for improvement.

Actually there were closer to 100 I believe but I used 90 to be safe because I know some quit.

 

The league wanted to expand the amount of midget teams this year (2007) but they didn't have the resources (coaches) to do it.

 

My point with all of this is Boone, Ryle, and Conner are missing out on a lot of potential and it is in large part due to the fact the school system won't take over junior high football.

 

IMO, this is why you'll see 6'1"+, 210 lb+ kids walking the halls with zero intentions of playing football that just might possibly help you on the football field.

  • Author
IMO, this is why you'll see 6'1"+, 210 lb+ kids walking the halls with zero intentions of playing football that just might possibly help you on the football field.

 

And that is exactly what Ryle looks to be turning around with 110 kids out for football!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.