Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Matt Combs -Pineville

Featured Replies

I know I've been saying all year how Pineville don't have any seniors. Well I overlooked the fact Matt Combs #25 does not have his senior year of eligibility. And he doesn't get to play next year because of the KHSAA's wonderful rule that you can't stay back at the end of your 8th grade year. Combs is an outstanding kid and is being done wrong by a rule that is the most unhuman rule that I can think of. And what is saddest, is he is not the only kid being penalized by this. If a kid needs a year to mature, the KHSAA has no right in being a parent and saying he can't. If you know anyone who has ever stayed back they will tell you that it is one of the best things that could've ever been done to them. If Matt Combs reads this I want him to know that I think he has done an outstanding job at Pineville in every sport he participates in, and he is being robbed of the most precious year of your life (your senior high school year) and he has my support in trying to get his eligibility back.

  • Replies 34
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree completely. Not only is Matt an outstanding kid and a stand out/ all around athlete, he makes incredibly good grades as well. He deserves his Senior year in sports and the KHSAA is wrong in taking that away from him. I know that without my senior year in sports, my high school years would be tainted and I wouldn't have half the memories I do now. Last time I talked to Matt about the situation he didn't think he was going to be able to play but, I wish him luck in his battle agaisnt the ignorant rule. I played numerous sports with him when I was in highschool and I know for a fact that he is capable of running collegiate level track. If him not being able to run his senior year knocks him out of this opportunity, I would sue KHSAA for enough money to compensate for his college tuition.

  • Author

Combs is from Scott Co. if anybody from up there who knows him has an account on here wants to support him by saying something.

Matt is a great kid from a great family, I know he & his parents well from his days here in Scott Co & they are tremendous people. I did not realize he had stayed back a grade as I thought he truly was a Jr this year. Unfortunately there is another kid here in Scott Co who will be a Sr next year & he is having the same problem as he will not get to play next year. Everyone knows the same thing happened to Rodney Haddix this year. I am sure there are others throughout the state getting hit hard by this rule. Keep your head up Matt & best of luck

There is a kid at Corbin(does not play basketball)who is facing the same problem in a couple of years. I know that the school informed him when he decided to stay back, but his family thought they could beat it in court, now I'm not sure if they still intend to fight it or not. A kid from Middlesboro transferred to a Tennessee school to play his senior year when the KHSAA ruled him ineligible last year for the same reason.

 

I understand that a rule is a rule, but I hate it for the kids.

If I am not mistaken the TSSAA also ruled Joe Mayes from Middlesboro inelligible . I am pretty sure he didn't play basketball. I have family that go to Cumberland Gap High School. I am thinking he might of played baseball though!?

  • Author
If I am not mistaken the TSSAA also ruled Joe Mayes from Middlesboro inelligible . I am pretty sure he didn't play basketball. I have family that go to Cumberland Gap High School. I am thinking he might of played baseball though!?

I believe he dropped out of school. The Mayes kid is a good example of the affects this ignorant rule has on the kids.

The rule is in place - no doubt - but it sucks anyway. The age limit should be sufficient. The hold-back rule is not necessary...

 

I hate it for Combs. Good family - good kid - good player.

It's unfortunate for the kid, but if you know the rules dont break them and think you can beat it. Odds are you cant.

Who is at Scott Co. this year that will be affected by the rule next year?

The rule was clear and the KHSAA sent out warnings. Don't stay back in the eighth grade.

It was discussed at the annual meeting in Lexington to also include not being able to stay back in the 7th grade as well, but they decided to only add the 8th. That would have surely put an end to most of the redshirting.

As far as holding kids back, parents can still do that for academic purposes, but they cannot play sports their senior year. I guess the KHSAA is getting tired of straight A students repeating grades strictly for an athletic advantage. I wouldn't be surprised to see this eventually moved back to the 6th grade too.

 

As far as where I stand on the issue...well, we used to hold them back at our school too (and I was right there asking parents to do this, so I'm guilty). We did it basicly to keep up with everyone else around us who were also holding their athletes back. It was either do it or get lost in the dust. I know that may not be right but it is quite common in the mountains. And when you're a school of 240, like we are, it really makes it difficult to compete against schools 3 and 4 times bigger than your's if they are redshirting and you are not.

  • Author

Even though a kid has straight A's doesn't mean their are at the maturity level they need to be.

The rule was clear and the KHSAA sent out warnings. Don't stay back in the eighth grade.

 

 

 

On this one ... I agree with you HDE ... the KHSAA sent out warnings and the rule was clear.

On this one ... I agree with you HDE ... the KHSAA sent out warnings and the rule was clear.

 

I agree that the rule is clear and those who violate it should be ineligible - just as it states.

 

However, in my opinion the only thing that should matter is age - I think they should look at removing this rule. What difference does it make if the kid is held back in 6th/7th/8th/10th grade as long as he or she is under the age limit. Will they someday implement a rule that kids can't start the 1st grade late or they won't be able to play their senior year???

 

Haddix is the perfect example. His grades were terrible until he was held back. Now he has over a 3.0 GPA. He is under the "age limit" rule. He broke the rule and is ineligible (as he should be) but I would think the KHSAA might look at his case and see that this rule is not in the best interests of the kids.

 

The player who is in this same situation is not on the Scott Co. team any more - by his own choice from what I understand.

  • Author
I agree that the rule is clear and those who violate it should be ineligible - just as it states.

 

However, in my opinion the only thing that should matter is age - I think they should look at removing this rule. What difference does it make if the kid is held back in 6th/7th/8th/10th grade as long as he or she is under the age limit. Will they someday implement a rule that kids can't start the 1st grade late or they won't be able to play their senior year???

 

Haddix is the perfect example. His grades were terrible until he was held back. Now he has over a 3.0 GPA. He is under the "age limit" rule. He broke the rule and is ineligible (as he should be) but I would think the KHSAA might look at his case and see that this rule is not in the best interests of the kids.

 

The player who is in this same situation is not on the Scott Co. team any more - by his own choice from what I understand.

 

Couldn't agree with you more. We all agree the rule is clear, but that doesn't make it right.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.