South Laurel vs Williamsburg notes.

Coach Robinson was put in a very difficult position and has made the best of it...He has plenty of excuses and I have never heard him use one...Congrats to the Jackets, they have made a step in the right direction this year...Coach Wright is a great coach and has a good team, but he could use a lesson in humility IMO...

You are not the first person that I have heard make that statement.........and he may get one eventually.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A wise man understands that it is never smart to under estimate your opponents abilities or over estimate your own. I would like to think that Coach Wright spoke before thinking. We've all been there. Comments like his often have a way of coming back around. Maybe some time in the near future a coach will be quoted as saying the same thing about his team.

Sounds like Williamsburg is into moral victories.......I bet the coach and players could care less!!! And his comments might have something to do with williamsburg dropping out of the district last year and leaving these other teams out to dry.......[/quote! ]

No not at all, but if a coach is going to make those kind of comments to a sports writer....then he must know he's going to get some heat! I just wonder how you would of felt Cat n the Hat if these comments were made about Coach Pennington and your wildcats after they had put forth a good effort.

Whitley played a good game against Corbin tonight...bet you won't see no trash talk coming from Coach P. about Deaton and the Colonels. Too much class in the Redhound camp!!!

Sounds like Williamsburg is into moral victories.......I bet the coach and players could care less!!! And his comments might have something to do with williamsburg dropping out of the district last year and leaving these other teams out to dry.......

With all due respect, Cat-n-the-Hat, you are mistaken. The coaches, players, and fans care greatly when it comes to Williamsburgs' team. The current coaches, nor the players, had anything to do with last years decision not to play in any district games. I don't think that had anything to do with Coach Wrights' statement. This years team, the one Coach Wrights' comments were made about, played hard last night and gave it their all. He could have just as easily recognized the team for their effort and left it at that. We teach our players to lose gracefully, some people need to learn how to win gracefully.

With all due respect, Cat-n-the-Hat, you are mistaken. The coaches, players, and fans care greatly when it comes to Williamsburgs' team. The current coaches, nor the players, had anything to do with last years decision not to play in any district games. I don't think that had anything to do with Coach Wrights' statement. This years team, the one Coach Wrights' comments were made about, played hard last night and gave it their all. He could have just as easily recognized the team for their effort and left it at that. We teach our players to lose gracefully, some people need to learn how to win gracefully.

:thumb:

Maybe he needs to Coach at a school like Williamsburg (and play schools with 5 times the numbers, or with Notre Dame recruits)to really test his coaching skills out.

Humble Pie is pretty bitter I hear.

Maybe he needs to Coach at a school like Williamsburg (and play schools with 5 times the numbers, or with Notre Dame recruits)to really test his coaching skills out.

Humble Pie is pretty bitter I hear.

Coach Wright has been blessed to have an older, experienced, talented group of players. I cannot take one thing away from his team. They have always conducted themselves with respect on and off the court as far as I could see. I was shocked and truly disappointed by Coach Wrights comments after the Will./S.L. game. He had a good chance to say something positive to a young coach and a young team who had struggled earlier in the season, but instead he choose to be demeaning and down right rude. It wasn't called for. It was mean. Not that it matters to anyone but me, but Coach Wright has definately lost my vote for COY. A true coach does not raise his team by knocking others down. He raises his team higher through kind words to teams that have not experienced the same level play as his team has. Not for his kids sake, but for his own, I hope that his comments come back around to bite his prideful little bottom. If not, I'll be sure to file his little interview in the paper away for future uses. Who knows, maybe I can give to back to him myself some day.

I would say you are only hearing half the story, I have never known Steve Wright to be anything but a class act. I guess the truth hurts sometimes, I gon't disagree with anyting he said. (Sorry if you disagree) I am sure that there is more to this story, but anyone who thinks that He did not tell the truth saying that his team was WAY better than Williamsburg needs a refresher course in basketball 101. Yes Williamsburg is improved, but it is not Steve Wrights job to promote Williamsburg Basketball, and if Williamsburg is into moral victories that may be all they get.........