South Laurel vs Williamsburg notes.

Williamsburg will get over the Coach Wright comments even if he degraded them. I do not think anyone from Williamsburg was wanting him to build them up or try to build their program. If that was the case they could have hired him( 1985)when he was applying for the job as an assistant to Donnie McFarland. They hired Richie Prewitt instead....

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting....think where the Yellow Jackets might be had he been hired.

Of course I am sure that he would have only used it as a stepping stone. I did not know Donnie McFarland ever coached at Williamsburg.

Interesting....think where the Yellow Jackets might be had he been hired.

Of course I am sure that he would have only used it as a stepping stone. I did not know Donnie McFarland ever coached at Williamsburg.

Donnie coached as an assistant to Paul Falin while in College. He was later asked to come back when Falin resigned. Donnie was coaching at Simon Kenton. He recommended Stevie Wright one of his assistants.......if Williamsburg wanted a program they would have never let Coach Prewitt leave.

I would say you are only hearing half the story, I have never known Steve Wright to be anything but a class act. I guess the truth hurts sometimes, I gon't disagree with anyting he said. (Sorry if you disagree) I am sure that there is more to this story, but anyone who thinks that He did not tell the truth saying that his team was WAY better than Williamsburg needs a refresher course in basketball 101. Yes Williamsburg is improved, but it is not Steve Wrights job to promote Williamsburg Basketball, and if Williamsburg is into moral victories that may be all they get.........

Considering what this Williamsburg team has been through any kind of victory is sweet, moral or otherwise...Most post game interviews I have listened to the winning coach will acknowledge the losing team in some form, but you are right it is not his job...Humility is something I think the man is missing and thats JMO...Wright is a class guy I guess, I have no reason to believe otherwise...Maybe there is more to the story, maybe there is not, maybe it is what it is...

Okay I will say this, sometimes after a game coaches say things that they may not say at other times, that life. But mostly what you get in those situations is what he is really thinking and really close to the truth.

He tried that by bringing a poor Puerto Rican boy in who had never seen a basketball. North Laurel was also into mission work about that time.

Now you know coach Wright or coach Denny did not bring the kid in from PR. The real story is he and his mom were driving up I75 from Miami. They happened to have a flat near London. The people in London were so nice the kid and his mom decided to stay here. After two weeks the mother decided to go back to Miami but the kid had already become part of the London community. Coach Denny was so nice he let him live in his appartment with him. If that is not good Kentucky hospitality nothing is.

I would say you are only hearing half the story, I have never known Steve Wright to be anything but a class act. I guess the truth hurts sometimes, I gon't disagree with anyting he said. (Sorry if you disagree) I am sure that there is more to this story, but anyone who thinks that He did not tell the truth saying that his team was WAY better than Williamsburg needs a refresher course in basketball 101. Yes Williamsburg is improved, but it is not Steve Wrights job to promote Williamsburg Basketball, and if Williamsburg is into moral victories that may be all they get.........

I think that somehow you have missed the point here, Apex. No one that I know of has questioned the talent of the South Laurel team nor do we claim to be at the same level of play at the moment. (Notice I ended the sentence with "at the moment") I do not consider it to be promoting when you simply recognize an opponents effort. It is called Sportsmanship.

Hey at least he is not Mike Deaton.....degrading his OWN team. LOL[/QUO

I don't find this to be funny. I don't think that there is any reason a coach should degrade his own team. IMO, you can't get a player to reach his potential unless he has respect for the person he is playing for. I heard of a coach that once told his team that they weren't worth the gas money that it took for the bus ride to the game. A coaches job is to teach and part of that is to teach the players to believe in themselves. How can you do that and make comments like that?

I don't find this to be funny. I don't think that there is any reason a coach should degrade his own team. IMO, you can't get a player to reach his potential unless he has respect for the person he is playing for. I heard of a coach that once told his team that they weren't worth the gas money that it took for the bus ride to the game. A coaches job is to teach and part of that is to teach the players to believe in themselves. How can you do that and make comments like that?

That is a Horr-i Burr-ble quote on the gas money thingie...lol

I agree with what you are saying, and have even said basicly the same thing myself.....but.....

The "LOL" was having to do with this thread and how everyone is on Wright for His comments about the game......

I guess its all a matter of prespective is what I am trying to say.