Rachel Hamilton Appleman

Marla Kelsch

Connie Appelman

Mary Kelsch

Carrie Jefferson

some others

Kim Habermehl

Dana Bach

I know I am forgetting some.. Somebody please help me out!

Doesn't Patrick Kelch belong on the girls side.For he could hang with boys

Sorry but I think it was Carrie Appelman at the time, Jefferson now!

What a girls' basketball dynasty, that family.

Connie was a star at A-Town and Morehead State.

Carrie was a great player for Augusta.

Emily was a coach at Augusta and very intense third grade teacher at Saint Augustine, I might add.

Hannah (Jefferson), daughter of Carrie's, was very tough for Bracken and doing well at Cumberland.

Looks like her sister Brittany is doing well and has a bright future at Bracken as well.

This family eats, sleeps and breathes basketball. The boys Tom and Steve are well known in tenth region basketball as well.

Any other great roundball families you can think of around your area?...I guess this could be another thread.

Wasnt Carrie Appelman Jefferson a pretty good basketball player in her day?

Yes she was. She was the leading scorer on the 1979 regional runner-up team that lost to Paris. I believe that is the only year that Augusta has made the regional finals.

Not to mention she was a 16 year old senior during the 1978-1979 season.

Owsley County

Jessica Murrell

Kendra Combs

Corina Thacker

Mika Turner

The 5th spot is rotated between:

Candi Combs

Sheri Gilbert

Teri Gilbert

The coach rotates between these three, according to the team they're playing. I think that is a pretty good strategy. Jessica Murrell is center and in January reached the 1000th point club; Kendra Combs, is power forward/guard and also reached the 1000th point club the same night Jessica Murrell did. (That never happened before in our school's history). Mika Turner is a guard and has improved her defense this year. Corina Thacker is probably the most overlooked player on this team for what she does. She is the "garbage girl": setting picks, making passes, putting back shots and rebounding. The other three: Candi Combs is a forward/center, but her defense is not played like a big girl. Sheri Gilbert, is a good point guard, but is out at this time for knee injuries. Hopefully she will be back for district. Her sister Teri, is another player that is sometimes overlooked. She can shoot the ball extremely well.

....And that is the Owsley team, from a #1 fan's perspective. :banana:

All-Time...

f-Amber Spencer ('89) Union College athletic H.O.F. (1,800+ points at OCHS)

*all-time leading scorer and rebounder at Union

f-Susan Stepp ('88) St. Catharine J.C. / Lindsey Wilson (2,000+ points at OCHS) *888 points in 2 yrs. at Lindsey Wilson, 16.4 ppg. 4th all-time at LWC

f-Austin McIntosh ('05) All-Time leading scorer (2,700 points at OCHS) 6 yr. starter

c-Frances Moore ('78) Morehead State (4 yr. letterman) 1,000+ points at OCHS

2g-Vickie Marshall ('90) Led state in 3-pointers made '89-'90 (1,000+ points at OCHS)

pg-Toi Bates ('87) played at Transylvania University

Yes she was. She was the leading scorer on the 1979 regional runner-up team that lost to Paris. I believe that is the only year that Augusta has made the regional finals.

Not to mention she was a 16 year old senior during the 1978-1979 season.

Great season for the 79 Regional Runners up. Also a great way for Carrie to end her senior year.