Arroyo signs contract extension...

nees1212

This move took me completely by surprise. I had taken it as a given that we got lucky with Arroyo, getting an average AL pitcher who became a very good NL pitcher, who also had a couple more years on a new contract that made him pretty cheap. I assumed he'd pitch out his contract then leave town in a hurry to collect a big paycheck. But this is the one move, above all the rest, that has me the most optimistic for the Reds future. The organization could've sat back like I did and enjoy their luck with Bronson, but we went out on a limb and inked him to a big extension. This tells me two things: A.) The Reds are willing to invest in the future. I figured we'd resign Harang to an extension because it was seen as a must-do, but we'd beat around the bush to get it done. Arroyo's signing gives us a great 1-2 punch for 3-4 more years, and the Reds weren't afraid to spend some serious ($11 million) money for him. B.) It tells me that Cincinnati is viewed as a good place to play. Bronson loved Boston, and I figured he'd just bide his time here and then try to go back "home." But this deal shows to me that Arroyo liked his situation here, and if Cincinnati is willing is pay, players will come to town and stay here. A very positive day to be a Reds fan!