Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Russell 20 Coal Grove (OH) 8

Featured Replies

Great win for the Red Devils.  I'll admit I missed this one.  

The Devils looked good last night. They were physical and well conditioned. I didn't notice any cramping and they seemed to wear Coal Grove down in the second half. The defense was outstanding, aside from the long, lone touchdown run they allowed.

The schedule is set up to win a lot of games this season. If the effort they displayed last night carries over week in and week out, this could be a double digit win team still playing in mid-November. They need Benge back in the fold to really hit their stride.

Overall, a great start to the season. 

A good win against a very solid opponent.  The one thing that still comes to my mind is something that has faded over the last decade with Russell is offensive "crispness".  I know that is a very subjective observation but the "old" more dominate teams that Russell put on the field were more clean and crisp and they were more successful.  The offense just seems muddled.

Maxpreps has the Ohio team as Dawson Bryant in Coal Grove, OH. Ranked #36 in Division 5.

Nice win for Russell! Coal Grove is a rock solid opponent and has been above .500 in most seasons over the last decade, including an 11 win season in 2017. That backfield is a LOAD to defend and they have a physical line up front. Caden Turner has been getting D1 looks and is not easy to stop on either side of the ball. Russell has the pieces offensively and I think will turn out to be really nice on that end once Benge is back and Frasure, who is making nice strides, continues to get reps.

On 8/23/2025 at 3:03 PM, Tigerpride94 said:

Maxpreps has the Ohio team as Dawson Bryant in Coal Grove, OH. Ranked #36 in Division 5.

I think "Coal Grove" is similar to "Massillon" in Ohio. Massillon High School is actually Washington High School, located in Massillon, Ohio. I'm pretty sure it's the same situation with Coal Grove, which is actually named Dawson-Bryant High School.

16 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I think "Coal Grove" is similar to "Massillon" in Ohio. Massillon High School is actually Washington High School, located in Massillon, Ohio. I'm pretty sure it's the same situation with Coal Grove, which is actually named Dawson-Bryant High School.

The school system is Dawson-Bryant. The high school is Coal Grove. It’s weird. No one refers to the school as Dawson Bryant. It’s always Coal Grove. 

19 hours ago, Ram said:

The school system is Dawson-Bryant. The high school is Coal Grove. It’s weird. No one refers to the school as Dawson Bryant. It’s always Coal Grove. 

and the mailing address for the school is Ironton.. lol Don't forget that lol

3 hours ago, zebraman said:

and the mailing address for the school is Ironton.. lol Don't forget that lol

It’s Ohio, so…..

39 minutes ago, Ram said:

It’s Ohio, so…..

I have a lot of family in Lawrence County, Ohio. We like to poke fun at each other sometimes. My favorite poke goes something like this....

A man from Kentucky walks into a store and says "I'd like to buy some 'maters and 'taters, please". The man at the counter says "You must be from Kentucky" 

"How'd you figure that?"

"Because only people from Kentucky talk like that. Just hold tight and I'll fetch your 'maters and 'taters"

The next day, a man from Ohio walks into a store and in a more formal way of speaking, says "I would like to purchase some tomatoes and potatoes, please." The man at the counter responds "You must be from Ohio".

"That's amazing... How did you guess?"

"Because this is a hardware store"

7 minutes ago, DevilMayCare said:

I have a lot of family in Lawrence County, Ohio. We like to poke fun at each other sometimes. My favorite poke goes something like this....

A man from Kentucky walks into a store and says "I'd like to buy some 'maters and 'taters, please". The man at the counter says "You must be from Kentucky" 

"How'd you figure that?"

"Because only people from Kentucky talk like that. Just hold tight and I'll fetch your 'maters and 'taters"

The next day, a man from Ohio walks into a store and in a more formal way of speaking, says "I would like to purchase some tomatoes and potatoes, please." The man at the counter responds "You must be from Ohio".

"That's amazing... How did you guess?"

"Because this is a hardware store"

Similar story: 

A man named Clarence from Kentucky offended an Ohio family. The Ohio family was going to teach Clarence a lesson so they left to go to Kentucky to find him. 

A short time later, the family returned home and was asked, did you teach that guy from Kentucky a lesson?  The family said no, when we got to the bridge it said “clearance 12’2” and figured we would need more people. 

4 minutes ago, Ram said:

Similar story: 

A man named Clarence from Kentucky offended an Ohio family. The Ohio family was going to teach Clarence a lesson so they left to go to Kentucky to find him. 

A short time later, the family returned home and was asked, did you teach that guy from Kentucky a lesson?  The family said no, when we got to the bridge it said “clearance 12’2” and figured we would need more people. 

That's a good one. Never heard it before. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.