Open Job: Powell County

10 hours ago, The Professor said:

Powell County is the 3rd largest high school enrollment in the 14th region, about 650 students. That’s a nice number from which to develop a good program for an energetic coach. 

Add in a very winnable district (two of the other three schools are very small), a proximity to central Kentucky that might promote growth (something no other region school except Estill County can claim), and a solid basketball history (28 district titles and 2 state tournament appearances) and this is definitely a good job in the 14th Region.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Add in a very winnable district (two of the other three schools are very small), a proximity to central Kentucky that might promote growth (something no other region school except Estill County can claim), and a solid basketball history (28 district titles and 2 state tournament appearances) and this is definitely a good job in the 14th Region.

I always thought the right coach could turn this program into a power in the 14th. 

• Like 1

This could be a good job but they haven't had too much success for a little bit. Some district titles but never really in region contention. This seems like a job for a younger coach with energy that will build it up.

2 hours ago, ElitePatriot said:

I always thought the right coach could turn this program into a power in the 14th. 

Dave Fraley did just that in the late 1960s until he left for Pulaski County in 1978. They were a regional contender every year and won the championship in 1974, defeating Breathitt County and Hazard in the semifinals at Breathitt. 

• Like 2

I believe this will be an internal hire for the Pirates as the middle school coach will be brought up to the high school level. They just graduated a good senior class and have a similar class or two coming up he has coached and had success with. 

Big Joe and the locals in Stanton are perplexed why the Pirates never contend for the region title while being one of the 3 largest schools within the 14th region. 

On 4/5/2024 at 9:08 AM, FlyPattern said:

I believe this will be an internal hire for the Pirates as the middle school coach will be brought up to the high school level. They just graduated a good senior class and have a similar class or two coming up he has coached and had success with. 

Big Joe and the locals in Stanton are perplexed why the Pirates never contend for the region title while being one of the 3 largest schools within the 14th region. 

Powell County has 649 students grades 9-12

Estill County has 646 grades 9-12.

Almost identical enrollments. 
Perry Central and Letcher Central are both larger but not by a great amount. 
I agree, both these 56th district schools should be a competitive factor every year in basketball in the 14th region. They definitely have the numbers. They just need the player development, which starts in the lower grades. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...