16th Region Poll 1/21/07

I feel like the first half is pretty solid only a team or two moving a spot or two in there. The bottom half could be shuffled some but that is what you get in the bottom half, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle; never know what you are gonna get when you see them.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly think Rose Hill can do a lot to show they are a real threat in the

16th region with a win. Everyone is waiting for the hill to have a real quality win since they have played more of the weaker teams in the region.

You never want to put too much into a game with a month left in the season, but Ashland has been the class of the area for a long time. I know they haven't won a regional in a few years. They are still a measuring stick in a lot of ways for the best in the area.

A win by the hill would do A LOT for their confidence going into the last part of the season. A loss doesn't mean they need to quit and wait til next year, but I think if they go out and do what they are capable of, they can get the win and really send a message that they will be a tough out come tourney time.

Good answer:thumb:

I think if you look back, he has had them #2 or #3 or several occasions.

I don't think the cubster has ever had them #2, and I believe his oringinal 16th region poll had them in the 2nd 5, he has been moving them up since that point, but this weeks poll I believe is the highest he has had them.

Greenup County has to travel to Elliot County soon, that will be a good game:thumb:

The Cubster is right again!! The only change I would make is Boyd and Rowan. The Boyd win over Russell is high quality. Elliott is playing so well right now they may have a case for #1. Isee where cantrell has them at #1, but he is usually so far off I don't pay much attention to that.

I don't think the cubster has ever had them #2, and I believe his oringinal 16th region poll had them in the 2nd 5, he has been moving them up since that point, but this weeks poll I believe is the highest he has had them.

Greenup County has to travel to Elliot County soon, that will be a good game:thumb:

I agree with u here. Greenup's place in the poll will be truly earned this week. My argument against GC is that they have only beaten Boyd & East (within the region) and played close to Russell. So I see that they are definitely in the top 5 or 6 of the region, but at 3 is pushing it and 2 I would have to argue. The winner of the Ashland/Rose Hill game must be at 2 or 3 depending on how Elliott gets through their week. Elliott is definitely the #2 team in this region (maybe even #1 on any given night) unless they fall to Greenup, but they should not be ranked less than #4.

Here is the playoff scenario:

1. Russell stays at #1, but no less than #2.

2. Elliott stays at #2, maybe #1 with a Russell loss, no less than #4 with a loss to GC.

3. Greenup earns #3 (maybe #2) with a win vs Elliott.

4. Ashland/Rose Hill winner goes to #2 or #3 depending on Elliott's week. Loser goes to #5, maybe even #6 if Rowan knocks off 2 of their 3 this week (Boyd, Greenup, Russell).

5. Rowan can shoot up to #5 with a 3 game gauntlet or as low as #7 b/c of the same 3 game gauntlet.

6. Boyd can move up as high as #3 with a win over the CATS, or just up 1 spot where I believe they should be now. They can easily drop to #7 with a loss. Head to Head with Rowan on the 30th should decide the 5/6 spot anyways.

7. Whoever is left over from these top teams.

Now that you have wasted your time reading this, why don't we just get a computer to calculate their rankings and let people argue over them. Wait, we already have that in college football!!! Already got that shirt.

I think the poll looks good. I think any of the teams in 1-10 can cause a major problem for anyone in the regional tourney. You have your top 4 or 5, and thats typical. The next 5 is capable of taking any of them out at any time in district play, or even a first round matchup in the regional. MSU will be a wild place to be come a few weeks down the road.

This week will be pivotal for GC with Rowan and Elliott on the road.

How many 16th region losses does GC have and to what school?

Russell beat Greenup by 2. A kid for Russell hit 2 free throws with no time remaining. The only 16th region loss.

Russell beat Greenup by 2. A kid for Russell hit 2 free throws with no time remaining. The only 16th region loss.

Russell did everything in their power to lose that game to a very well coached (Hicks) Greenup team. Officiating was pathetic for both squads that night as was evedent with 2 shots being taken with no time left. If both teams played "good" games then Russell runs away with a victory more than 2 points with no time remaining. I am looking forward to that rematch in the future.