Griffin Elite Basketball Classic 2023 Predictions

Curious to what everyone thinks about the top Prep School Teams coming to NKY and playing teams in our region? I'm not sure everyone realizes who is going to be at this tournament and who plays for these prep school teams. A couple notable players that you should all be aware of from our regions:

1. Huntington Prep
    1. Darryn Peterson - 6' -5" from Cuyahoga Falls, OH- Ranked No.3 
  2. IMG Academy
    1. Darius Acuff - IMG Academy- 6'-2" from Detroit, Michigan -24/7 Sports Ranked No. 1 PG Nationally/No. 8 Overall in 2025 Class/ NO. 15 ESPN
    2. Kahani Rooths - No. 23 - 6'-8" -ESPN No. 23 - 2024 Class
    3. Donovan Freeman - ESPN No. 38 6'7" - 2024 Class
  3. La Lumiere
    1. Jerry Easter - 6'3" - from Toledo, Ohio - ESPN No. 25 

These are the players I am aware of. I had the pleasure of seeing Darius Acuff play, and of the group listed his is the most talented and ferocious player of the group. He's gritty and tough and he is going to give Lloyd a nightmare. Curious to see how EJ Walker steps up in this game. 

For Huntington Prep vs. Newport, I am not sure who they have that can stop Peterson. They don't have the size to match up against him, so I am assuming they will be doubling him most of the game. This will be a fun one to watch. 

Cov Cath vs. La Lumiere will also be fun one to watch. They have a big line  up at 6'-11", 6'-7", 6'-6", 6'-5", and so on. Caleb Miller is going to have his work cut out for him, and given Cov Cath's size I am not sure how they will figure out ways to match up against them. The colonels are definitely playing a zone. 

Here are my predictions below:

• IMG Academy vs. Elder HS - 12/15 - 7pm    - IMG Academy by 20+
  • Newport HS vs. Huntington Prep - 12/15 - 9pm    - Huntington Prep by 10+ - Will be a good game     
  • Harlan Co. HS vs. DeSales HS - 12/16 - 5pm     - DeSales HS by 5+
  • IMG Academy vs. Lloyd Mem. HS - 12/16 - 7:30pm  - IMG Academy by 20+
  • Kings HS vs. DeSales HS - 12/17 - 12pm    - Kings HS in a close one by 3+    
  • Cooper HS vs. Legacy Charter - 12/17 - 2:30pm   - Cooper HS by 5+     
  • Centerville HS vs. Moravian Prep - 12/17 - 5pm  - Moravian Prep went 31-4 against good teams - Moravian Prep by 15+
  • Cov Cath HS vs. La Lumiere - 12/17 - 7:30pm - La Lumiere in a good game by 6+ - If Cov Cath has a chance Caden Miller would need to be lights out. 

image.thumb.png.41c0c84db1bea228e66037f128476c65.png

• Thanks 1

Great write up! According to Jordan Griffin who is doing a big part in running this event, it will not be IMG’s top team that is in the event it is their 2nd team that still has 7 D1 guys. Their top team had already committed to a different event at the same time. He said all of these things per his Facebook.

What will the capacity / attendance be for these games?  I've only been to Griffin for AAU and youth league games, on those three (I think) courts on the lower left as you walk in the front door, and there is very little seating at each court.  Are they changing the lay-out for these?  Any info is appreciated.

La Lumiere is loaded, Jerry Easter II is solid.

Jalen Haralson- 11th ranked player in 2025 class (ESPN)

Ace Buckner - Signed to Clemson, Class of 2024

Steven Solano - multiple power 5 D1 offers

I would say La Lumiere wins by 20+ IMO

@The Double Deuce I wondered the same. I know they had an event in 2019 at NKU…maybe scheduling conflicts. 

Also could be scheduling conflicts at Thomas More but would be curious to know the numbers capacity wise of Thomas More and Griffin Elite. 

Regardless…sounds like it’s going to be a great event! Can’t wait to attend. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

What will the capacity / attendance be for these games?  I've only been to Griffin for AAU and youth league games, on those three (I think) courts on the lower left as you walk in the front door, and there is very little seating at each court.  Are they changing the lay-out for these?  Any info is appreciated.

According to the schedule it seems as if all the games will be on 1 court. With that being said, I would expect them to change the layout for the event. 

• Thanks 1

Cov Cath hasn't lost by 20+ in the last 5 years that I can remember. They have played some tough teams in KY, IN, and Florida. It's going to be a tough game and you would think by looking at their roster we lose by 20, but we have some seasoned players and the Colonels are gritty as heck and well coached. I'm sticking to 6+.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 8:22 AM, LouHSJunkie said:

I was interested in this event until I seen they were charging per game and clearing gym after each one which is crazy and not how any other classic is done anywhere. So if you want to watch 4 games you must buy 4 separate tickets. No thanks 

You took the words out of my mouth here for sure

• Like 1