Jasper is developing on a national stage

colonel-fan

Nice article on Derrick Jasper from the San Luis Obispo Tribune.

Jasper is developing on a national stage

Her son is away at college, some 2,000 miles away, and Sue Jasper feels like he’s playing right here at home.

That’s because Derrick Jasper is on TV almost once a week for Kentucky.

The Wildcats play 11 nationally televised men’s basketball games this season and could be playing a few more in March if they keep playing like this.

On Tuesday, Jasper and the Wildcats won their 11th straight since the former Paso Robles High basketball star was inserted into the starting lineup, beating South Carolina 87-49 in primetime on ESPN.

The 6-foot-6, 213-pound freshman point guard had three points, five rebounds and three assists in the victory and remains unbeaten as a college starter.

"It’s been so exciting, watching him play every week," Sue Jasper said. "We get everyone together at my parents’ house or over at our place for every game. We really get worked up about it.

"He just keeps amazing me. The first few games were tough, but he’s really focused and playing great in front of some huge crowds."

There were 13,809 fans Tuesday in Columbia, S.C. More than 21,000 at North Carolina on Dec. 2. And 24,253 a week later when Sue Jasper watched her son play for the first time in person at Rupp Arena in Lexington where Kentucky beat Indiana on Dec. 9.

Quite a spotlight for an 18-year-old freshman who is one year removed from playing in front of a few hundred fans in high school.

"It’s been everything I expected and more," Derrick Jasper said in a phone interview prior to Tuesday’s game. "It gets pretty crazy because every one of the fans is into it. It was a little nerve-racking at first, but I’ve adjusted to all that."

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like for him to show a little emotion every now and then. Other than that I am very very pleased with him.

I like a PG that is cool, calm & collected. The emotion should come from the big guys down low, IMO.

Now if we can just get him to develop a jump shot. :D