April 3, 200719 yr Durant doesn't turn 19 until December. Again.... a pointless point. Unless you think Durant will win a championship I'm not sure what the arguement is about. Who has a better chance of winning rings like every other great center, and who will sell jerseys like every great swingman.
April 3, 200719 yr Durrant was a better college player, but if I had the #1 pick in the NBA draft, I'd take Greg Oden without hesitation. He'll be more of a force in the NBA... ...did you see how dominating he was last night? I wish he could have played the whole year at 100%.
April 3, 200719 yr I voted for Durant. He is the best player in the country. But, Oden will the number one draft pick. You can build your NBA franchise around him. Maybe the Grizzlies will get lucky and their ball will be pulled out first. Then Billy D and Oden could build a franchise. LOL
April 3, 200719 yr You guys are basing your view on Oden on one game....Remember Morris dominated Hansbrough....Durant put up unreal numbers against everyone, not just one game. The major difference is Durant has proven he can do it consistently, Oden has proved nothing in that regard.
April 3, 200719 yr You guys are basing your view on Oden on one game....Remember Morris dominated Hansbrough....Durant put up unreal numbers against everyone, not just one game. The major difference is Durant has proven he can do it consistently, Oden has proved nothing in that regard. :thumb:
April 3, 200719 yr You guys are basing your view on Oden on one game....Remember Morris dominated Hansbrough....Durant put up unreal numbers against everyone, not just one game. The major difference is Durant has proven he can do it consistently, Oden has proved nothing in that regard. I think Oden has shown a little more than one game...considering he missed the first month or so, and wasn't 100% until near the end of the season, if he was ever at full strength has to factor in somewhere. He showed steady improvement all season...he's the best pure big man in college basketball since Tim Duncan. His dominating performance last night was against probably the best front line in college basketball. Also, he was pretty dominant in the second half against G'town after being in foul trouble in the first. No way you can doubt his ability... There two different types of players. Both are great and will be in the NBA. I'd just rather have a guy who can dominate the paint like Oden, because there are only a handfull of guys like that in the NBA...he'll be a nightmare matchup for almost every team that plays against him because of that. Durrant is a bad matchup as well, but the fact that he likes to play on the perimeter makes him susceptible to off shooting nights, whereas Oden is going to be camped out down low. It's just an opinion and I don't think you can go wrong either way. But, when it comes to the NBA, I'd rather have Oden.
April 3, 200719 yr Do you really believe Oden is a fluke? Fluke? No. I'm just not sold he's going to be the next dominant C in the NBA. I need to see more effort and consistency before I jump on the bandwagon. With Durant that's not an issue IMO...
April 3, 200719 yr Fluke? No. I'm just not sold he's going to be the next dominant C. I need to see more effort and consistency before I jump on the bandwagon. With Durant that's not an issue IMO... I thought Oden was pretty consistent this year as he got healthier. The biggest thing he has to improve on, IMO, is staying out of foul trouble. Oden is also in a different position than Durant in that he has to rely on his teammates to feed him the ball...I think it takes some adjusting to get used to playing with a guy like that. It seems that nowadays players aren't accustomed to, nor good at, feeding the post, and dominating post players often suffer as a result. That won't be the case in the NBA...he will get the ball frequently. That's just my take...but, like I said, you can't go wrong with either guy. Durant was definitely the man in college, but at the next level, I'd rather have Oden.
April 3, 200719 yr You guys are basing your view on Oden on one game....Remember Morris dominated Hansbrough....Durant put up unreal numbers against everyone, not just one game. The major difference is Durant has proven he can do it consistently, Oden has proved nothing in that regard. Oden put up GREAT college numbers and most of the year used his opposite hand. It isn't based on one game at all. Not even close. However, the one game was the biggest of his life. There is something to said about big game players. There is also something to be said about dominating 2 lottery picks the way he dominated them along with a 275 foul hatchett man. What has Durant proved other than he can score and rebound at the college level? Oden proved he could score at the college game with his opposite hand. He also proved that NOBODY in college can even come close to guarding him (when he's on the court). PLEASE STOP PUTTING RANDOLPH POORUS IN THE DISCUSSION!!!!
April 3, 200719 yr I think Oden has shown a little more than one game...considering he missed the first month or so, and wasn't 100% until near the end of the season, if he was ever at full strength has to factor in somewhere. He showed steady improvement all season...he's the best pure big man in college basketball since Tim Duncan. His dominating performance last night was against probably the best front line in college basketball. Also, he was pretty dominant in the second half against G'town after being in foul trouble in the first. No way you can doubt his ability... There two different types of players. Both are great and will be in the NBA. I'd just rather have a guy who can dominate the paint like Oden, because there are only a handfull of guys like that in the NBA...he'll be a nightmare matchup for almost every team that plays against him because of that. Durrant is a bad matchup as well, but the fact that he likes to play on the perimeter makes him susceptible to off shooting nights, whereas Oden is going to be camped out down low. It's just an opinion and I don't think you can go wrong either way. But, when it comes to the NBA, I'd rather have Oden. :thumb:
April 3, 200719 yr Here's what we know about Oden at this point. Again. 1. He CAN dominate, but doesn't do it consistently. 2. He fouls too much. 3. He lacks energy and effort at least half of the time. 4. He has ONE offensive move. 5. When he shines his teammates don't perform to their talent level. 6. When he sits they all get better. 7. Last night was the first time he played hard for a full game. It's funny but I'm now on the opposite side of the Oden/Conley debate as I was at this time last year. Conley is the better player of the two right now...
April 3, 200719 yr Fluke? No. I'm just not sold he's going to be the next dominant C in the NBA. I need to see more effort and consistency before I jump on the bandwagon. With Durant that's not an issue IMO... What did I miss? You posted games and the games you questioned he averaged a double double. He learned how to shoot left handed free throws fairly successfully. He outmuscled Horford and pushed him around like a little girl. Think he's been in the weight room? He needs to improve defensively and keep developing that hook, but other than that there is nothing wrong with his game. Questioning his effort and consistency is a flat joke based on what???? Oden used to pressure his teammates to come to shoot arounds at 6 in the morning before school. Everything I read about him says his work ethic is GREAT.....not good, but GREAT. BTW Oden is 7 feet tall 280 pounds and has a 33 inch vertical..... Name 1 guy int he NBA with that......
April 3, 200719 yr What did I miss? You posted games and the games you questioned he averaged a double double. He learned how to shoot left handed free throws fairly successfully. He outmuscled Horford and pushed him around like a little girl. Think he's been in the weight room? He needs to improve defensively and keep developing that hook, but other than that there is nothing wrong with his game. Questioning his effort and consistency is a flat joke based on what???? Oden used to pressure his teammates to come to shoot arounds at 6 in the morning before school. Everything I read about him says his work ethic is GREAT.....not good, but GREAT. BTW Oden is 7 feet tall 280 pounds and has a 33 inch vertical..... Name 1 guy int he NBA with that...... You fell in love over one game. A game his TEAM lost at that. I watched the entire body of work. I'll stick with my observations over your talking points...
April 3, 200719 yr Here's what we know about Oden at this point. Again. 1. He CAN dominate, but doesn't do it consistently. 2. He fouls too much. 3. He lacks energy and effort at least half of the time. 4. He has ONE offensive move. 5. When he shines his teammates don't perform to their talent level. 6. When he sits they all get better. 7. Last night was the first time he played hard for a full game. It's funny but I'm now on the opposite side of the Oden/Conley debate as I was at this time last year. Conley is the better player of the two right now... 1. College basketball doesn't dictate a center dominates. Zones and double teams and constant fouling control a lot. Also, guard play wins in college. It always has. Look at last nights game. Green, Humphrey, and Brewer were the differrence. 2. He won't with age and experience and more body control. Plus the touch fouls are called less in the NBA and you gfet 6 of them. 3. Sure looked like it last night.... or against GT..... really I think your making this up. 4. The spin move, hook shot (both hands) or the srop step..... Which one are you refering to. 5. You're right here.....HA Not even close. What does giving Harris open jumper after open jumper after open jumper have to do with anything negative? How is that his fault? 6. Again where are you getting this information? Do you think Pro's miss open jump shots? 7. That's a joke. He's 7 feet tall 280 pounds and you're the only person in the country saying he doesn't play hard. I also know Oden is a 7 foot true center who is humble, modest, VERY COMPETITIVE, has great hands, great athleticism, great agility, and all the upside in the world. I also know that true dominate centers win rings and T-Mac and KG don't even compete.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.