2023 Dixie Heights Colonels

On 7/22/2023 at 8:07 AM, MaddenCurse44 said:

Just read Trey Barnette transfered to Lakota  West that does hurt.

I think most in the Dixie circle would tell you that it was addition by subtraction. If memory serves, he was the kid fighting his teammates on the sideline. Then to get a better WR in his place was a good bit of luck.

• Like 2

Talked to my son when they got back from the scrimmage. All he would say is that it went well and everyone was healthy. A couple players have posted some highlights in the last couple days. They have almost exclusively 7v7’d and done scrimmages with Ohio teams and done well from what I have heard and seen. Overheard one parent saying he (Burke) finally listened to us and is playing kids both ways. I respectfully disagreed and said, he has his first year under his belt and has a better idea of what he is working with now. I kind of like that not much is being said/known out there in Edgewood right now. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Finkle Ray said:

Talked to my son when they got back from the scrimmage. All he would say is that it went well and everyone was healthy. A couple players have posted some highlights in the last couple days. They have almost exclusively 7v7’d and done scrimmages with Ohio teams and done well from what I have heard and seen. Overheard one parent saying he (Burke) finally listened to us and is playing kids both ways. I respectfully disagreed and said, he has his first year under his belt and has a better idea of what he is working with now. I kind of like that not much is being said/known out there in Edgewood right now. 

I'm with you.  I HIGHLY doubt he switched things up due to the parents.  I think he tried something last year that he thought gave that team the best chance to win some games.  An offensive style that NKY hasn't seen in a while, if ever.  With a year under his belt, a full coaching staff, and seasoned players, I look for improvements on both sides of the ball along with a change in styles.  The kids seem to respond to him.  For the first time in years, he has an actual freshman team.  I think the future is good for Dixie.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

This team is a few plays away from 3-0. As they sit at 1-2 with losses to Simon Kenton and Beechwood. The red Colonels take on the blue Colonels this week before going into the bye week, then into district play. 

They have shown a dominant run game back to back weeks with 95 rushing attempts for 694 Yds. 74 of those attempts are split between Gregg ( 240 Yds 3TDs) and Anderson (368 Yds 5TDs). 

Dixie’s leading receiver in yards is currently Beach with 112yds on 4 receptions. Followed up by Mwamba with 101yds 1TD on 5 receptions and Kriger with 97yds 1TD on 5 receptions. Blank leads the team with 2 receiving TDs.

Defensively the Colonels are lead by Rice with 44 tackles and Dodds with 29. Rice has been lights out throughout the first 3 games. He has 44 total tackles, 27 Solo, 11 TFL, and 4 sacks. Dixie has a team defensively has 23.5 TFL and 13.5 Sacks (4 Rice and 4 Dodds) while snagging 6 interceptions. 

MY OPINION: This team will make run in Districts and the postseason. They have to make stops on 3rd and 4th down. I’d like to see a couple more passes across the middle of the field.