Georgia Tech 74 Duke 63

Dfenz

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing about this is that Duke hasn't played any of the top echelon(sp?) ACC teams yet. They still have North Carolina, Boston College, Maryland, Virginia, and Clemson (I can't believe this). Not to mention their yearly meltdown to the Seminoles.

I see anywhere from 6-9 conference losses for the Devils....No matter, they'll still be a top 25 team.

The thing about this is that Duke hasn't played any of the top echelon(sp?) ACC teams yet. They still have North Carolina, Boston College, Maryland, Virginia, and Clemson (I can't believe this). Not to mention their yearly meltdown to the Seminoles.

I see anywhere from 6-9 conference losses for the Devils....No matter, they'll still be a top 25 team.

There's a good reason Clemson is undefeated right now, have you looked at their schedule?

Winless ACC start confirms Duke is missing the point

ATLANTA -- Mike Krzyzewski knows he is coaching a different Duke basketball team. It is among the youngest he has assembled during his 27 seasons with the Blue Devils, with four freshmen, four sophomores and one junior in the nine-man rotation.

But Duke's inexperience isn't the only reason it isn't winning as frequently or as easily this season. Sophomore Greg Paulus is struggling in his second season as the team's starting point guard. While Paulus has been hampered by a broken foot, illness and a damaged middle finger during the first two months of the season, injuries might not be the only reason he isn't playing well.

Frankly, Paulus might not be good enough.

Paulus, who started all but three games as a freshman and 12 of the first 15 this season, was benched before Wednesday night's game against Georgia Tech at Alexander Memorial Coliseum.

Krzyzewski also benched sophomore forward David McClure, and started freshmen Gerald Henderson and Lance Thomas. But the lineup changes made little difference in No. 11 Duke's 74-63 loss to the Yellow Jackets in front of a sold-out crowd of 9,191.

That combination starts with Paulus, whose reputation is one of a gritty, tough player and solid floor leader. But Paulus, a 6-foot-1 native of Syracuse, N.Y., is limited defensively because he lacks quickness and is at best a streaky shooter.

Paulus struggled again against Georgia Tech, scoring six points (four in the final 28.4 seconds after the Yellow Jackets went ahead 69-59) on 2-for-7 shooting with three assists (two in the final 1:38), no rebounds and three turnovers in 29 minutes.

Duke made only 4-of-20 attempts from behind the arc and committed 17 turnovers. Sophomore Josh McRoberts, an All-ACC freshman selection last season, had problems defending Tech center Ra'Sean Dickey, who scored his team's first 10 points and finished with 21 points on 6-for-8 shooting. And Morrow finished with 19 points and made three 3-pointers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=2727186&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab6pos2

Ahhhh, I feel so bad for the Duke boys. I may have trouble sleeping tonight.:D

Couple that with a UCONN loss and the Cats playing better I had a terrible nights sleep also. Now I have two teams to hate since Calhoun ran his mouth.