4. Julia Hunt
  5. Quinn Eubank
  6. Sammy Berman
  7. Austin Johnson
  8. Marissa Green
  9. Logan Palmer
  10. Juliet Strange 
  • Like 1

3-6 will be changing a lot throughout the year I think depending on who stays healthy and how well the younger, newer players do.
And no Noelle Hubert (NDA) or Sarah Baker (Ryle). Ok. Good enough for every team on this list to change their defense and the way they play based on them, but not good enough to make the list. Ok. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How I see it

Cooper - clear cut favorite.  A lot of talent here led by Lind and Kay Freihofer with lots of good talent around them.
Ryle - Holtman, Eubanks, Baker is as strong as any 3 but depth is still an issue.  This team could win state or lose in district.  
NDA - lost a lot but the system is strong with a lot of players ready to step up.  Best coached team in the region 
Next tier
Holy Cross - on paper some good additions but a lot of questions to compete in the tier above them. 
Dixie - If Berman can lead them and they can get good productions from young players like Fresh Pelphrey and Soph Buddenberg, then they could be a problem by February.  
Conner - very dependent on one star player, but if anyone can do it Anna Hamilton can. 
Then the next tier
Highlands
Cru
NCC
Beechwood

Players
Lind, Hamilton, Holtman, Eubanks, Hubert, Berman, Freihoffer, Hunt, Baker, Green, Palmer, Johnson

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CVG said:
How I see it

Cooper - clear cut favorite.  A lot of talent here led by Lind and Kay Freihofer with lots of good talent around them.
Ryle - Holtman, Eubanks, Baker is as strong as any 3 but depth is still an issue.  This team could win state or lose in district.  
NDA - lost a lot but the system is strong with a lot of players ready to step up.  Best coached team in the region 
Next tier
Holy Cross - on paper some good additions but a lot of questions to compete in the tier above them. 
Dixie - If Berman can lead them and they can get good productions from young players like Fresh Pelphrey and Soph Buddenberg, then they could be a problem by February.  
Conner - very dependent on one star player, but if anyone can do it Anna Hamilton can. 
Then the next tier
Highlands
Cru
NCC
Beechwood

Players
Lind, Hamilton, Holtman, Eubanks, Hubert, Berman, Freihoffer, Hunt, Baker, Green, Palmer, Johnson

This is also how I would rank the teams. The first and second tier will have some good, close games. There’s a larger gap between the second and third tier. I also think some younger players this year may break into the middle of the list of girls once they get a chance to show us what they can do. Maybe Lawrie and Gibson (NDA), Noel and Liz Freihofer (cooper), Buddenberg (Dixie), Eaglin (NCC), Unkraut (St Henry) and Wimzie (Holy Cross). Should be a fun year!

• Like 3

On 10/22/2022 at 8:10 AM, bballfan7 said:

This is also how I would rank the teams. The first and second tier will have some good, close games. There’s a larger gap between the second and third tier. I also think some younger players this year may break into the middle of the list of girls once they get a chance to show us what they can do. Maybe Lawrie and Gibson (NDA), Noel and Liz Freihofer (cooper), Buddenberg (Dixie), Eaglin (NCC), Unkraut (St Henry) and Wimzie (Holy Cross). Should be a fun year!

I am fairly certain that Buddenberg suffered the all too common knee injury during the AAU season and is likely out for the season, big loss. NDA gets Collins (Junior) back from a knee injury, that is a nice addition. The three teams from the 33rd are the class of the region, IMO, and Julia Hunt at HC will give everyone fits again this year.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 8:10 AM, bballfan7 said:

I believe Maya Wimzie tore her ACL this summer, not sure she will play at all this year.

On 10/21/2022 at 10:57 PM, bballfan7 said:

And no Noelle Hubert (NDA) or Sarah Baker (Ryle). Ok. Good enough for every team on this list to change their defense and the way they play based on them, but not good enough to make the list. Ok. 

I think this is an interesting question, and certainly a good topic.  In Sarah's case, she is incredibly talented, but she plays with a ball-dominant wing, and two other outstanding all-around players, so her touches aren't nearly what they could / should be.  Those Cats' Pause voters / writers are probably knee-deep in box scores and stats from 16 regions, and Sarah isn't going to pop there, but if you watch them game-in and game-out, you know the value she brings and the talent she has.  She would have undoubtedly better stats if she played with more pass-first players who could make entry passes and capitalize on her terrific back-to-the-basket game, but that isn't the case.

In Noelle's case, I'm on record as being a HUGE fan, but it will be interesting to see how her season unfolds as the #1 option for NDA and not the 3rd or 4th (or 5th).  Early in her career she was a spot-up shooter, she has added the ability to go by you if you overplay the three-ball, but can she create shots for herself and her teammates when she is the focal point?  That will be interesting to watch.  Can she take advantage of her tremendous length to do work in the mid-range game and shoot over smaller wings?  Can they get her matched up on bigs through switches and let her capitalize on her ball skills?  Will be really interesting to watch this year, and I agree with someone else that said Kes & Co. are the best staff in NKY (and among the best in KY), so I'm sure they'll figure it out in no time.  

57 minutes ago, The Double Deuce said:

I believe Maya Wimzie tore her ACL this summer, not sure she will play at all this year.

Wimzie should be back at some point.  She is doing some running now but not sure when cutting and contact will happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rjal said:

Wimzie should be back at some point.  She is doing some running now but not sure when cutting and contact will happen.

Good to hear!!  HC got bit by a tough run lately, right, they had another ACL from a rotational player and then a top 6 kid just got hurt badly in soccer and will miss a lot / all of the season?  I HATE that for these young ladies.  The worst part of sports are these freaking injuries and it just breaks my heart for the kids that work so hard, like the Berger kid at Beechwood...it just SUCKS!

On 10/23/2022 at 2:22 PM, Legacy26 said:

I am fairly certain that Buddenberg suffered the all too common knee injury during the AAU season and is likely out for the season, big loss. NDA gets Collins (Junior) back from a knee injury, that is a nice addition. The three teams from the 33rd are the class of the region, IMO, and Julia Hunt at HC will give everyone fits again this year.

I had heard it was her meniscus and that she's back at it. I hope it was her meniscus and not her ACL. 

6 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

Good to hear!!  HC got bit by a tough run lately, right, they had another ACL from a rotational player and then a top 6 kid just got hurt badly in soccer and will miss a lot / all of the season?  I HATE that for these young ladies.  The worst part of sports are these freaking injuries and it just breaks my heart for the kids that work so hard, like the Berger kid at Beechwood...it just SUCKS!

Yeah injuries suck.  The soccer player was the last week of the season in a makeup game.  Ugh.  What bad luck.  Torn hamstring.  I am not sure if surgery will be required.

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2022 at 8:46 PM, The Double Deuce said:

I think I'd slide HC down to 6th and move NDA and Dixie up 1.  At least to start with.  

The gap from the Top 6 and everyone else is WIDE.   

We can certainly revisit this in February but if there are 5 better teams than Holy Cross girls this year in the 9th region I'll come back on here and say how wrong I was. I can make an argument with what they have coming back, along with the additions that they could be #2 or more likely #3 behind Cooper and probably Ryle. I'll take them over Conner, ND and Dixie heading into the season. Can't wait for the start of the season...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Courier Journal's Top 25 State Rankings -

Team                                            Region                 2021-22 record

1. Sacred Heart (64)                      7th                       36-3

Sweet 16 three-peat? Valkyries were last to do it in 2002-04

2. George Rogers Clark (1)           10th                      31-3

Sisters Brianna Byars (Cincinnati signee), Ciara Byars lead way

3. Mercy                                           6th                        23-9

Can Leah Macy get Jaguars back on top of Sixth Region?

4. Cooper                                        9th                       25-10

Lehigh signee Whitney Lind leads 2022 Sweet 16 semifinalist

5. McCracken County                   1st                       31-2

Murray State signee Destiny Thomas a Miss Basketball dark horse

6. Bowling Green                           4th                       29-8

Two D1 signees lead – Meadow Tisdale (NKU), Saniyah Shelton (EKU)

7. Southwestern                            12th                    27-8

Kinsley Molden, Ayden Smiddy back for 2022 Sweet 16 semifinalist

8. Manual                                       7th                       22-7

Buffalo signee JaKayla Thompson one of state’s top guards

9. Meade County                          3rd                        29-7

Sophomore Peyton Bradley hit 116 3-pointers last season

10. Pikeville (1)                              15th                     31-3

Panthers seek fifth straight Sweet 16 trip behind Trinity Rowe

11. Ryle                                           9th                     21-10

Cincinnati signee Abby Holtman, junior Quinn Eubank lead Raiders

12. Franklin County                       11th                    28-8

Flyers seek fourth straight Sweet 16 trip behind Jazmin Chambers

13. Bullitt East                                6th                     33-5

2022 Sweet 16 runner-up rebuilding after three straight Sweet 16s

14. Henderson County                 2nd                      24-5

Colonels seek fifth straight Sweet 16 trip behind Jarie Thomas

15. Mercer County                        12th                     24-8

Buffalo signee Timberlynn Yeast one of state’s top scorers

16. Anderson County                    8th                       30-5

Bearcats rebuilding behind stellar sophomore Lainey Johnson

17. Christian Academy                 7th                       22-10

New coach Byron Wilkins will lead on junior Mariah Knight

18. Bethlehem                               5th                       23-8

Carlie Thurmond, Emma Filiatreau give Banshees solid 1-2 punch

19. Boyd County                            16th                     21-12

Lions must overcome ACL injury to top player Audrey Biggs

20. Corbin                                       13th                     25-7

Kallie Housley looks to lead Redhounds back to Rupp Arena

21. Notre Dame                             9th                       23-4

Pandas hit hard by graduation but do return Noelle Hubert

22. Russell                                      16th                     26-6

Red Devils have one of state’s top juniors in Shaelyn Steele

23. Central                                      7th                       18-13

Destiny Jones, Amaya Asher give Yellow Jackets two solid scorers

24. Male                                          7th                       21-6

MaKiya West leads Bulldogs squad that plays scrappy defense

25. Covington Holy Cross             9th                       19-14

Indians return several top players, led by junior Julia Hunt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2