Beechwood 48 Covington Holy Cross 0

theguru

2 minutes ago, Jason Bucklen said:

They need to go to 5 Classes! 

4 was just fine.  And I would like to see 4A be the top 16 teams, 1A be the bottom 16 teams, and 2A and 3A divide up the rests of the teams.  Those would be some real classes.  But, we are in the everybody gets a trophy age and it is what it is. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, theguru said:

Final.

I was told Holy Cross tried to use as much time as possible on offense and that the Beechwood starters only made it half way through the 2nd quarter. 

Too many teams get in the playoffs!

This Beechwood team is exceptionally good even for Beechwood.  The only non running clock games they have had this year were against larger teams. I think we counted 21 senior banners.  Not sure how many are true seniors and how many are fifth years but none the less that is a boatload for a 2a team.  Are too many teams in the playoffs maybe, probably, but this district has a three way tie for second.  None of the teams gave beechwood a game this year. It has nothing to do with too many teams.  Good luck to the Tigers.  I don’t think I saw any significant injuries for either team so that is the best outcome in a game like this. 

i can’t really say that HC used any more time on offense than usual.  They ran the ball as they do a lot and struggled with their passing which also has been happening a lot. 

Just now, rjal said:

This Beechwood team is exceptionally good even for Beechwood.  The only non running clock games they have had this year were against larger teams. I think we counted 21 senior banners.  Not sure how many are true seniors and how many are fifth years but none the less that is a boatload for a 2a team.  Are too many teams in the playoffs maybe, probably, but this district has a three way tie for second.  None of the teams gave beechwood a game this year. It has nothing to do with too many teams.  Good luck to the Tigers.  I don’t think I saw any significant injuries for either team so that is the best outcome in a game like this. 

No doubt Beechwood is above and beyond this year, even for Beechwood, but too many teams get in the playoffs and that is a part of this. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, theguru said:

No doubt Beechwood is above and beyond this year, even for Beechwood, but too many teams get in the playoffs and that is a part of this. 

Even if you only took the top two teams this game would’ve happened. The other team would’ve just been Lloyd because they won the tiebreaker. I doubt the final result would’ve been much different.

1 hour ago, theguru said:

Final.

I was told Holy Cross tried to use as much time as possible on offense and that the Beechwood starters only made it half way through the 2nd quarter. 

Too many teams get in the playoffs!

2020 4A semi finals Boyle County 55 Hopkinsville 0 .... too many team in the playoffs?

2020 6A semi finals Male 49 Dunbar 6 .... too many teams in playoffs?

2020 5A regional championship Bowling Green 55 North Bullitt 7 ... ?

2020 3A regional championship Belfry 42 Bell County 0

2020 3A regional championship Ashland 42 Fleming County 0

2020 2A semi finals Lexington Christian 48 Murray 13

2020 1A Championship game Paintsville 38 Kentucky Country Day 7

There are blowouts in every round including in the title games. There also were a lot of really good competitive games tonight in round 2. Saying there are too many teams because of a blowout score is not a valid argument when blowouts happen in every round. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rjal said:

Even if you only took the top two teams this game would’ve happened. The other team would’ve just been Lloyd because they won the tiebreaker. I doubt the final result would’ve been much different.

Back in the day we only took the top team from each district and there were four classes instead of six classes.  I stand by my too many teams in the playoff position as a part of this equation. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, theguru said:

Back in the day we only took the top team from each district and there were four classes instead of six classes.  I stand by my too many teams in the playoff position as a part of this equation. 

Back in the day is a horrible argument for anything. Back in the day we rode to town in a horse and buggy.

I ran the numbers in the other thread. Almost half of the games in round 1 last week were competitive games even with all teams in. If there was a way to eliminate the bottom 5 or so teams in each class, I would consider that.

The Holy Cross players were excited about winning a playoff game last week. Yes, they faced a real juggernaut this week but that win over the Juggernauts from Erlanger last week is a strong argument by itself for the current playoff system.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Back in the day is a horrible argument for anything. Back in the day we rode to town in a horse and buggy.

I ran the numbers in the other thread. Almost half of the games in round 1 last week were competitive games even with all teams in. If there was a way to eliminate the bottom 5 or so teams in each class, I would consider that.

The Holy Cross players were excited about winning a playoff game last week. Yes, they faced a real juggernaut this week but that win over the Juggernauts from Erlanger last week is a strong argument by itself for the current playoff system.

We walked up hill barefoot in snow 10 miles each way to school too, if you are going to go there VoR, please go all in. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1