Ashland at Russell Predictions/Updates

Tomcats vs. Red Devils  

20 members have voted

1. 1. The winner will be...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/05/2021 at 11:00 PM

783315983_download(2).thumb.jpeg.0ccfd2253dd1052d9b630c344d26e061.jpeg

With cold expected on Friday, old rivals meet to generate their own heat

Records: Ashland (6-4), Russell (6-4)

BGP Ranking: Ashland (#8 in 3A), Russell (unranked in 3A)

Series History: Ashland leads 45-23 all-time

Table Setter: Following several years of Tomcat tyranny, the Ashland/Russell rivalry is back in business. Ashland's reclassification to 3A and the subsequent battles that have unfolded - regular season games in 2019 and this year, as well as last year's 10-7 playoff at Putnam Stadium - have stoked the flames beneath what was once the most anticipated game in NEKY for years. 

The fire was raging on October 15th, as Russell edged Ashland on a field goal in the waning moments of a 17-14 thriller at Henry R. Evans Stadium. Kicker Nathan Totten and receiver Carson Patrick were the stars of the night for the victorious Red Devils. Patrick got free in the Ashland secondary for 177 yards and both Russell touchdowns. Vinnie Palladino and Aris Pittman constituted most of Ashland's offensive output, combining for 169 yards running and receiving, as well as both Tomcat scores. Ashland's top two linemen went down that night in Russell. One is done for the season and the other's availability this week is the biggest question mark hanging over this game.

Neither program is accustomed to being one and done in the playoffs, which should add a hint of desperation to what already looks like one of the state's marquee first round games.

• Thanks 1

If Jones can go and be effective it’ll be a big boost to Ashland’s defense. I don’t know what his injury was in the Russell game but with 5 or 6 minutes to go in the game he was playing hurt. If Ashland can get the offensive line working better it should be a coin flip on who wins but if Ashland can’t run their defense is going to be wore out by the 4th quarter. 

On 11/1/2021 at 6:37 PM, tomcat1984 said:

If Jones can go and be effective it’ll be a big boost to Ashland’s defense. I don’t know what his injury was in the Russell game but with 5 or 6 minutes to go in the game he was playing hurt. If Ashland can get the offensive line working better it should be a coin flip on who wins but if Ashland can’t run their defense is going to be wore out by the 4th quarter. 

I'm looking for another low scoring game that could heavily involve special teams. I don't know that either offense is good enough to move the ball up and down the field for a shootout.

Both teams are down from last year, but they match up well for a competitive game, which is a win for anyone watching.

On 11/1/2021 at 8:32 PM, Nuke LaLoosh said:

This is the game I would love to see this week, but my crew doesn't want to make the 3+ hour drive.  I'm going with Russell, but I really think it could go either way.  Good luck to both teams!

If you don't make it out for a game this Friday, this one should be live streamed. Once a link is available, I'll post it in here.