Owensboro vs. Apollo Predictions/Updates

Brown

Apollo (6A) rolls in 1-0 after beating cross-town rival Owensboro Catholic (2A) 44-27.  John Edge, the 3rd year coach of the Eagles, has beat his former team (Catholic) twice in a row.  He has instituted the Tony Franklin Offense at Apollo this season.  Owensboro is coming off a loss to 2nd ranked St. X 51-38, where Gavin Wimsatt showed off his skills very nicely.  Owensboro has to pick up the pieces at defense, especially at the 2 MLB positions.  Last 3 meetings:

2018 40-0 Owensboro

2019 46-0 Owensboro

2020 50-13 Owensboro

Apollo's last win came in 2017 with a hail mary pass on 4th down I believe to win at home 31-28.  That Owensboro team was in a significant rebuild and was 4-7 on the year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brown said:

Apollo (6A) rolls in 1-0 after beating cross-town rival Owensboro Catholic (2A) 44-27.  John Edge, the 3rd year coach of the Eagles, has beat his former team (Catholic) twice in a row.  He has instituted the Tony Franklin Offense at Apollo this season.  Owensboro is coming off a loss to 2nd ranked St. X 51-38, where Gavin Wimsatt showed off his skills very nicely.  Owensboro has to pick up the pieces at defense, especially at the 2 MLB positions.  Last 3 meetings:

2018 40-0 Owensboro

2019 46-0 Owensboro

2020 50-13 Owensboro

Apollo's last win came in 2017 with a hail mary pass on 4th down I believe to win at home 31-28.  That Owensboro team was in a significant rebuild and was 4-7 on the year.

This is a matter of details, but it is actually Coach Edge’s second year at AHS.

Aside from that:

Apollo was much cleaner in their game against Catholic than I’ve seen in my 7 years at the school. I don’t know what the final penalty count was, but they didn’t do anything to beat themselves. In the last 3-4 years it’s seemed like even in victory, Apollo would always have one quarter or half that was disastrous. There was a stretch in the second where OCath had Apollo reeling, but they never completely broke. 

Owensboro is an excellent football program, but I do not believe this game is as much of a wash as it has been in the last 3 years. 

• Like 3

@wrn1979I though it was his 2nd, but Khsaa had him listed the last 3 counting this year.  Great Coach.  Is the spread offense the best way to play Owensboro?  I would think Edge uses as much clock as possible to limit Wimsatt’s chances. I was impressed with Apollo last year- 2 great linemen blocking for Hogg & Lovinsky.  I understand the new QB is very good as well.   I’ve heard the Catholic faithful say they list their QB and Mundy or it could have been a different story.  I’ll just say 44 points vs Catholic is stout.  I look forward to the game.

• Like 1

@Brown

Edge came on board at the end of 2020. We had new head football and head boys basketball coaches last year in a year when establishing new programs would have been super difficult. 

It’s not my place to question/comment on the game plans of teams for which I’m not responsible. I would not want them to do that to me. However, I believe Apollo has been in a state of steady improvement since Edge was hired. We might not topple the mountain that is OHS this year, but I do not believe it is out of the realm of possibilities in the near future. 

22 minutes ago, wrn1979 said:

@Brown

Edge came on board at the end of 2020. We had new head football and head boys basketball coaches last year in a year when establishing new programs would have been super difficult. 

It’s not my place to question/comment on the game plans of teams for which I’m not responsible. I would not want them to do that to me. However, I believe Apollo has been in a state of steady improvement since Edge was hired. We might not topple the mountain that is OHS this year, but I do not believe it is out of the realm of possibilities in the near future. 

I’ve heard Owensboro is dropping Apollo after this year - just the word in the OHS circle.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brown said:

I’ve heard Owensboro is dropping Apollo after this year - just the word in the OHS circle.

I honestly wouldn’t blame either team for letting the game drop at this point. I like to see a variety of teams on the schedule, and with a 5-team district for Apollo that takes up a lot of games. Then add O’Cath and OHS to the mix and there’s just not a lot of room left. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Brown said:

11 hours ago, wrn1979 said:

I honestly wouldn’t blame either team for letting the game drop at this point. I like to see a variety of teams on the schedule, and with a 5-team district for Apollo that takes up a lot of games. Then add O’Cath and OHS to the mix and there’s just not a lot of room left. 

This is an interesting discussion.  I want to first say that I got to go to Apollo's new field last season and it was awesome!  New turf and all the nice facilities.  Very impressed with it's layout and the entrance façade too!  We've been speaking about the O schedule for awhile.  Dropping Apollo for awhile makes sense for both teams and allows them to focus on what's best for each programs future and next steps.  Good job!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Purple88 said:

This is an interesting discussion.  I want to first say that I got to go to Apollo's new field last season and it was awesome!  New turf and all the nice facilities.  Very impressed with it's layout and the entrance façade too!  We've been speaking about the O schedule for awhile.  Dropping Apollo for awhile makes sense for both teams and allows them to focus on what's best for each programs future and next steps.  Good job!

I remember my senior year of high school, our football coach (different school, I haven't lived here that long) said, "it takes about 10 years to build a strong football program." Coach Edge may have only been here for two years, but a lot has been going into the foundation of the program for the past seven years. The strength and conditioning coach came along about the same time I did. He's done a great job building up the training facilities and training program. The new stadium, fieldhouse, etc are definitely top notch. Bringing Edge back across the river was a big step. I'm also seeing it bleed over into other sports. 

I'm not sure what happened to Apollo athletics in the time between when I was in high school and when I moved to this area. I remember back in the day, we would make the 3-hour journey to Owensboro and it didn't matter if we were playing Apollo or Daviess Co we just knew we were coming for our requisite butt-whipping. 

• Haha 1

Edge is top notch - forward thinking way before others were.  That district better watch out (Hendo, McCracken, Marshall, Daviess).  That's a real solid 6A district and who knows who will win it.  I think Owensboro is taking nothing for granted - Apollo looked really good on the highlights I saw - love the QB.

5 minutes ago, Brown said:

Edge is top notch - forward thinking way before others were.  That district better watch out (Hendo, McCracken, Marshall, Daviess).  That's a real solid 6A district and who knows who will win it.  I think Owensboro is taking nothing for granted - Apollo looked really good on the highlights I saw - love the QB.

I'd say it won't be long before the new Merged Christian County is in this district too.

• Like 1