Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Police Chase on my street

Featured Replies

About a year or so ago we had a similar chase down my street which is a cul-de-sac as well.  However this guy was able to go between two houses, down an embankment, around back of house, back up an embankment on the other side of same house, and was able to get by the police going back up our street.  It was like one of those Keystone Cop movies.  We couldn't believe it.  I'm pretty sure he was stopped a few streets away.  One of the craziest things I ever saw!

Absent an extreme threat to society, I am fundamentally opposed to any type of police chase. I believe the intent is good, but the risk is not worth it, especially when people are fleeing for minor level crimes. The end result is too often extreme injury (or death), many to innocent bystanders.

Years back I was crossing the Eggner's Ferry Bridge, which at the time was a narrow two lane roadway. I remember the conditions were icy. About 25% across the bridge, an SUV comes flying by... I'm guessing at 90+ mph. Scared the crap out of me. No clue how they avoided the other traffic, both coming and going. I gathered myself and took off again then at the same rate of speed two police squads come whizzing by, weaving between oncoming traffic. I proceed forward another 100 yards and another one comes racing by. So the threat for injury (or death) was immediately tripled in a matter of seconds. I carry on for another few miles and sure enough the speeding SUV had flipped into a ditch, which seems to be how many of these end. I suspect the driver was seriously injured. How the chase caravan didn't kill someone on the bridge is a miracle. Scenes like this are played out WAAAY too often. It is cool in movies, but in real life we are not meant to be chasing vehicles like this.

Future of police chases - drones?

Could drones be used to track vehicles to a spot where a safer stop/arrest can happen?

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

Future of police chases - drones?

Could drones be used to track vehicles to a spot where a safer stop/arrest can happen?

There is improving technology that allows for shooting a tracking device at a car which attaches itself to cars. Not sure on the practicality of it. But yes, a drone makes sense.

It's also about picking and choosing your battles. If a guy has a suspended license, do we need to be chasing him through downtown Cincinnati at 100 mph? Obviously there is some nuance to this where suspended license guy may be of a greater threat than at the time of his suspended license. But evaluating the threat vs. endangering multiple other lives to stop a "threat" is the fundamental question.

I think police chases are incredibly silly unless the person they are chasing has recently committed a violent crime. I understand you want to catch the bad guys, but a police chase because someone doesn’t stop for you is reckless at best. I’m pretty sure LMPD changed their policy on chases several years ago. 

5 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I think police chases are incredibly silly unless the person they are chasing has recently committed a violent crime. I understand you want to catch the bad guys, but a police chase because someone doesn’t stop for you is reckless at best. I’m pretty sure LMPD changed their policy on chases several years ago. 

I know my local department has not done them for over five years. Again, I'm sure there are some exceptions to the rule.

You know, if your car is stolen and a chase ensues, it never ends well for the car owner.  I always thought someone would invent a device that would immobilize a moving vehicle or completely slow it down to a stop without damage.  I mean, shoot fire, Dick Tracey's talking wrist watch came to be why couldn't something like a vehicle immobilizer be invented?  Isn't our military working on something like this?

4 hours ago, OlDog75 said:

You know, if your car is stolen and a chase ensues, it never ends well for the car owner.  I always thought someone would invent a device that would immobilize a moving vehicle or completely slow it down to a stop without damage.  I mean, shoot fire, Dick Tracey's talking wrist watch came to be why couldn't something like a vehicle immobilizer be invented?  Isn't our military working on something like this?

Some after market alarms have this capability. On my old car I could kill the engine from my remote start app. 

5 hours ago, OlDog75 said:

You know, if your car is stolen and a chase ensues, it never ends well for the car owner.  I always thought someone would invent a device that would immobilize a moving vehicle or completely slow it down to a stop without damage.  I mean, shoot fire, Dick Tracey's talking wrist watch came to be why couldn't something like a vehicle immobilizer be invented?  Isn't our military working on something like this?

In today's climate, that's probably not how you sell it to the public for police departments to have it. 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.