February 4, 20215 yr Seems like I am the bearer of bad news today. Due to complications from Alzheimer's Disease, Schottenheimer has been moved to a hospice facility near his Charlotte North Carolina home. Marty is the last Browns coach to have sustained success, making it to the AFC Championship game two years in a row. But for John Elway, the Browns may have a Super Bowl win during his years and much success for a lot of their star players, perhaps some more in the Hall of Fame. Schottenheimer earned my respect when he was the coach at Cleveland. He and Bernie Kosar teamed up for some exciting wins. I have a warm spot in my heart for him and I hate this for him and his family. It must be noted, he coached in KC for 10 years, Washington 1 year, and 5 years in San Diego. He had 44 wins in 5 years with Cleveland. Praying for you coach! Article from Cleveland.com
February 4, 20215 yr Cancer sucks, but so does Alzheimer's. Prayers for Marty and his family through this difficult time.
February 5, 20215 yr Even though I was a Bengals fan, growing up in NE Ohio, it was hard to not to see the Browns on a regular basis. I had a lot of respect for what Marty was able to do during the short time he was at Cleveland. Prayers for him and his family.
February 9, 20215 yr I don't know why I thought he was older than 77. I was rooting for him in his last coaching stint at San Diego to win it all because he deserved a better fate for as good of a coach as he was.
February 9, 20215 yr Great coach who really deserved to have a title to his name by the end his career. Got a bad rap for being on the wrong end of too many playoff losses, due in part to kickers missing in the clutch and John Elway pulling in a miracle drive. That Chargers squad with Rivers, LT, and Gates was probably his best chance but they had some late mistakes against the Pats and Marty never coached another game in the NFL. RIP.
February 9, 20215 yr 33 minutes ago, DanvilleFan said: Great coach who really deserved to have a title to his name by the end his career. Got a bad rap for being on the wrong end of too many playoff losses, due in part to kickers missing in the clutch and John Elway pulling in a miracle drive. That Chargers squad with Rivers, LT, and Gates was probably his best chance but they had some late mistakes against the Pats and Marty never coached another game in the NFL. RIP. It was a bizarre ending, and admittingly I have not researched much about it. Was he not well respected, for whatever reason? Hard to deal with? He turned San Diego into arguably the best - despite the playoff results - team in the NFL, a 14-2 record, but never heard from again after his departure in 2005. Only 2 losing seasons in 21 years.
February 10, 20215 yr 4 hours ago, bugatti said: It was a bizarre ending, and admittingly I have not researched much about it. Was he not well respected, for whatever reason? Hard to deal with? He turned San Diego into arguably the best - despite the playoff results - team in the NFL, a 14-2 record, but never heard from again after his departure in 2005. Only 2 losing seasons in 21 years. I think Marty was respected, but the media roasted him mercilessly for coming up short in the playoffs. His problems with San Diego's owner/GM got him fired after that 14-2 season, but I think that the Chargers made a huge mistake there, especially since Marty's replacement was Norv Turner.
February 11, 20215 yr Author Marty's "coaching tree" includes four who won Super Bowls: Bruce Arians (this year with Tampa Bay), Bill Cowher (Pittsburgh), Tony Dungy (Colts), and Mike McCarthy (Packers). I think it likely that Marty would have had one at Cleveland had Modell gotten out of the way. Modell wanted to fire some of his assistants and Marty ended up resigning in 1988. Modell and Marty disagreed over the direction of the offense. Another pivotal move interfered with Schottenheimer getting to the Super Bowl. Lindy Infante came to the Browns as Offensive Coordinator in 1986. He teamed up with Bernie Kosar, Ozzie Newsome, RBs Kevin Mack and Ernest Byner to effect a potent offensive attack to go along with Schottenheimer's defensive prowess. In 1987 the Browns had the second highest scoring offense in the AFC. Had Schottenheimer, Infante, and Kosar been able to stay together... one can only dream. You can't blame Infante, the Packers came calling to make him their Head Coach in 1988. Schottenheimer's .613 winning percentage is good for 6th place among coaches with 20+ seasons in the league. He only had two losing seasons in 21 years. Tony Dungy and Bill Cowher, two of his assistants, had fewer head coaching wins than Marty but each have a Super Bowl win. They are also in the Hall of Fame and Marty is not. Let's hope the HOF's Senior Committee rectifies this error in 2022 (we'll also put in a good word for LB Clay Matthews Sr.).
February 11, 20215 yr Had a discussion with a former classmate of mine (who's a Steelers fan), on whether Marty was HOF material. I said yes, he said no. He, obviously fell back onto the postseason record. But, I think the 200 regular season wins need some context. Here are the records before, during and after Marty for each of the four teams he coached. Browns: 19-30 (B), 44-27 (D), 25-38 (A) Kansas City: 65-86 (B), 101-58-1 (D), 75-85 (A) Washington: 8-8 (B), 8-8 (D), 7-9 (A) San Diego: 23-57 (B), 47-33 (D), 49-31 (A) That works out to 115-181 (B), 200-126-1 (D), 156-163 (A). Or those squads with Marty, were +73 W, while the teams before and after him, were -73. That's a pretty big difference, in my opinion. Kansas City had 2 winning seasons in the 10 years before he arrived. During his 10 years there, he had 9. This was not a guy who inherited a well-built team already, like a George Siefert or Barry Switzer and could reap the instant glory of winning a Super Bowl. He built his teams. Granted he fell short in many postseason appearances. But, I firmly believe that had he been able to stay at Cleveland or San Diego as long as he had with KC, those numbers would be different.
February 12, 20215 yr 12 hours ago, oldgrappler said: Great analysis, @CincySportsFan Can't believe I just defended a Cleveland coach. lol If I start defending the Steelers, somebody please disable my account, because I'll have been hacked. ?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.