Jump to content
Colonels_Wear_Blue

W.E.B. DuBois Academy (New School/Football Program)

Recommended Posts

DuBois Academy is a JCPS magnet school that was created in the 2018-19 school year. It began as a middle school, and is adding 1 high school grade level per year for the next four years, beginning with 9th grade next year and finishing its expansion in the 2024-25 school year, at which time DuBois will be a magnet school serving grades 6-12. The school itself is located on E. Indian Trail between Poplar Level Road and Preston Highway, roughly a mile and half from Male High School.

According to the school's website:

"The DuBois Academy is open to all male students and our innovative learning environment will offer an Afrocentric and multicultural curriculum that is both rigorous and engaging."

"The core tenets emphasize literacy, numeracy, social sciences, technology usage, and speaking a foreign language. In addition, we show P.R.I.D.E. by focusing on leadership attributes, such as perseverance, resilience, initiative, discipline and empathy."


From the job listing on the UK Listserv:

"At the middle school level, we are looking for a head coach, coordinators, and volunteers. At the high school level, we are looking for coordinators and position coaches on both sides of the ball. Paid and volunteer positions are available at both levels. 

If you are interested in coaching and teaching at W.E.B. DuBois Academy, please send your resume to head coach Jake Williams (jacob.williams@jefferson.kyschools.us)."

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the former Liberty High School, and before that Bruce Middle, which I attended?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The school's website says the middle school, grades 6-8, has an enrollment of 450 students. If they stick with that enrollment, 150 students per grade level, that will have the high school at an enrollment of 600. And since it's an all-male school, that should put them comfortably in 5A football.

I'm not sure where the football team will play. They're located in the building that used to house Liberty High School, a JCPS alternative high school that has moved. The campus does not have a football stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NLTanker1 said:

Is this the former Liberty High School, and before that Bruce Middle, which I attended?

Yes it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

From the job listing on the UK Listserv:

"At the middle school level, we are looking for a head coach, coordinators, and volunteers. At the high school level, we are looking for coordinators and position coaches on both sides of the ball. Paid and volunteer positions are available at both levels. 

If you are interested in coaching and teaching at W.E.B. DuBois Academy, please send your resume to head coach Jake Williams (jacob.williams@jefferson.kyschools.us)."

So they are looking for a middle school head coach, coordinators and assistants, and at the high school level they only are looking for coordinators and assistants. Jake Williams is listed as "head coach", which I'm assuming means head coach of the forthcoming high school program.

Does anyone have any info on Jake Williams' coaching background? I'm not familiar with the name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, the school is grades 6-12. Obviously from the solicitation for coaches, they're planning on having both a middle school program and a high school program, but I'm assuming that means they will be able to play middle schoolers up at the high school level if they see fit? The only other 6-12 school in JCPS that I can think of offhand is Moore, but I have no idea whether or not they ever play middle schoolers up...or if JCPS allows for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think with that concept they could be good football program in future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can’t play MS kids on the same field as a JR. Football has different restrictions than most sports. 
 

This is what I think the plan is. Start with a MS team. Then move up to freshman. Now some districts won’t let MS kids play freshman football. Then start playing JV and maybe four years play varsity for the first time. Now their first year or so of varsity might not be district play. I believe LCA followed a similar model. 
 

The setup for the school sounds like it has the potential to be a very good set up. I’d love to hear more about their current HC. This is one of those jobs that if people would of known about it could of gotten some very good applicants. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, barrel said:

You can’t play MS kids on the same field as a JR. Football has different restrictions than most sports. 
 

This is what I think the plan is. Start with a MS team. Then move up to freshman. Now some districts won’t let MS kids play freshman football. Then start playing JV and maybe four years play varsity for the first time. Now their first year or so of varsity might not be district play. I believe LCA followed a similar model. 
 

The setup for the school sounds like it has the potential to be a very good set up. I’d love to hear more about their current HC. This is one of those jobs that if people would of known about it could of gotten some very good applicants. 

Should have been a little more specific with my wording, but yes, I was referring to playing middle school kids up on freshman and froshmore teams, as Beechwood does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is interesting. That building is not very big in comparison to other high schools in the area. If they are going to be 6-12, they'll almost certainly be 1A. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NLTanker1 said:

This is interesting. That building is not very big in comparison to other high schools in the area. If they are going to be 6-12, they'll almost certainly be 1A. 

If that is the case then the job would of been very appealing. The ability to pull players from across JCPS and play in a small class. Get to build everything from the ground up. Have players potentially in the same system for 5-6 years with pretty much these staff.  Then add JCPS pay on top of that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NLTanker1 said:

This is interesting. That building is not very big in comparison to other high schools in the area. If they are going to be 6-12, they'll almost certainly be 1A. 

They already have 450 boys at the middle school for grades 6-8. Once they all get to high school that puts them in 4A with just those 3 grades. Add one more grade that will put them close to 600 boys and they will be a 5A school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WestDanville said:

They already have 450 boys at the middle school for grades 6-8. Once they all get to high school that puts them in 4A with just those 3 grades. Add one more grade that will put them close to 600 boys and they will be a 5A school. 

I just can't picture that many kids in such a small building. I went to school there for 3 years when it was only 6, 7, and 8th grade. Its just not big enough to support anything bigger than 1A, maybe 2A, with 7 classes in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NLTanker1 said:

I just can't picture that many kids in such a small building. I went to school there for 3 years when it was only 6, 7, and 8th grade. Its just not big enough to support anything bigger than 1A, maybe 2A, with 7 classes in there.

Just going off of the numbers that the school has posted as far as enrollment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the mascot going to be? Please don't say Tigers, Wildcats, Eagles or any of the now muted through overuse mascots.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.