BluegrassPreps.com 8th Region Boys Basketball Preview

12 hours ago, ColonelMike said:

The result now is that only one of the Region 8 "A" schools isn't in the current 31st district - Williamstown.

Walton-Verona is with Williamstown in the 32nd district.

You think there's a possibility they'll move Henry (and likely Eminence) into the 29th eventually?  That'd give the 29th 5 teams, and the 31st would go down to 4 teams (Carroll, Gallatin, Owen and Trimble).

3 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

Walton-Verona is with Williamstown in the 32nd district.

You think there's a possibility they'll move Henry (and likely Eminence) into the 29th eventually?  That'd give the 29th 5 teams, and the 31st would go down to 4 teams (Carroll, Gallatin, Owen and Trimble).

That's right .....when I think of the 8th region A schools, I tend to forget about W-V still being considered an "A" school.   I keep thinking that they are part of the new 2A bit...   (even though I just watched them play Williamstown in the All-A at Carrollton!  LOL)  🙄

I don't think there's any chance at all of the Henry schools ending up in the 29th.   Just my opinion, but I personally think that's way down the list of possibilities, based upon my sources.  But you never know...

Oldham schools pushing back their start to the season.   Games 1/11 - 1/15 are all cancelled.

That includes the Oldham County - South Oldham boys district game, currently scheduled for 1/15.   That one will need to be made up as it is a district game.

No word on the Saturday 1/16 games yet.

2 hours ago, ColonelMike said:

Oldham schools pushing back their start to the season.   Games 1/11 - 1/15 are all cancelled.

That includes the Oldham County - South Oldham boys district game, currently scheduled for 1/15.   That one will need to be made up as it is a district game.

So, presumably, the thinking is, if the kids aren't back in school, as opposed to NTI, they shouldn't play games.  I see all these other games from around the state, including in adjacent counties.  Are the kids in those counties all physically back in school?  Or do those counties just have a different standard?

3 hours ago, ColonelMike said:

Sounds like they drank the JCPS Kool-Aid! 

2 hours ago, 8th Region Warrior said:

Shelby, Eminence, Henry, and Collins are 15 minutes apart, so that would be the district.  Who knows what runs through the KHSAA's brain.  This would make the most sense however if you guess right, you should play the lottery.

I’m 32nd district but never understood why when we go to the 30th we have to drive through Franklin (Franklin County, Frankfort, Western Hills and Frankfort Christian) to get there.  Always puzzled me  

11 minutes ago, blue4sure said:

I’m 32nd district but never understood why when we go to the 30th we have to drive through Franklin (Franklin County, Frankfort, Western Hills and Frankfort Christian) to get there.  Always puzzled me  

Well, you could go down I-71 and head thru New Castle and Eminence instead.  Might only take you an extra hour or so.  But you'd never leave the region.  🤪

In all seriousness, I understand what you're saying.  But, it's not like the region itself is completely unattached.  It's just that they are located more in a curved line that the most convenient roads don't follow.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mojocat said:

So, presumably, the thinking is, if the kids aren't back in school, as opposed to NTI, they shouldn't play games.  I see all these other games from around the state, including in adjacent counties.  Are the kids in those counties all physically back in school?  Or do those counties just have a different standard?

Oldham's COVID numbers have dramatically gone up.   And that's even with the prison and the nursing homes taken completely out of the equation.    I think we're going to see a lot more of this across the state.

Big games this week in the 8th:   There are other, significant, games this week, but these stand out to me, for varying reasons....

Monday, January 11th - 

Walton-Verona (3-0) at Woodford County (2-0) - Only five Eighth Region teams remain undefeated after only one week of play.   After Monday, that number will be down to four.

Tuesday, January 12th -

Williamstown (0-1) vs. Grant County (1-2) - Important early district game in the 32nd pecking order.   Williamstown needs a confidence booster after getting drummed by Walton-Verona in their opener.   Grant still trying to find new scorers and rebounders after massive graduation losses.

Trimble County (0-2) at Owen County (2-1) - Marcus Mumphrey's Raiders look for their first 31st District win after a good showing against Gallatin County in an opening day loss.   Owen already 2-0 against District rivals.

Friday, January 15th - 

Anderson County (0-2) vs. Collins (2-1) - A few years ago, this would have been a preview of the district championship.   Now, both teams trying to get an early leg up on the other district opponents in what is usually a very good game.

Woodford County (2-0) at Spencer County (3-0) - Both teams have two good challenges before this game, but this could very well be a battle of unbeatens come Friday.    Spencer playing well in Week One despite the absence of Conley.

Henry County (2-0) at Eminence (0-2) - On paper, this is all Wildcats.   But it's one of the great, historic rivalries in the 8th Region, played in one of the region's most compact gyms.    Even a few fans can make a LOT of noise.

Simon Kenton (1-1) vs. Grant County (1-2) - According to the preseason rankings, this is the district favorites against the #4 team.    If that's true, this game will show us, perhaps, how tight the 32nd will be this year.    Both teams really building around a couple of players, with lots of new question marks.

Saturday, January 16th - 

Walton-Verona (3-0) vs. Owen County (2-1) - Rematch of the 8th Region All-A finals, won by W-V by 26.    Two teams that have come out of the gate strong.   Chance for Owen to prove the margin wasn't indicative of the real difference between these two teams.

Oldham County schools in action this Saturday.

Oldham County vs. South Oldham  - this game will be live streamed beginning at 6:30 pm by Pegasus Sports Network at www.pegasussportsky.com

North Oldham vs. Trimble County 

That leaves just Carroll County out of action in the 8th.

CM