Exiting coaches

soccer03d

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 2:50 AM, ucndbengals said:

Also a New Coach at Ryle High School.

Correct.  He is the former coach at Scott.  I've heard nothing but positive things about the guy.  I imagine his #1 goal will be getting Summer Dennigan to play her senior year.

• 1 month later...

February 9, 2021

Dear Highlands Soccer Family,

I am emailing to let you know that I have stepped down as the head coach of the girls soccer program.  I am very thankful for the past three seasons coaching at Highlands.  It was not an easy decision, but I have accepted a position at the collegiate level.  I know the program will do great things!   

Thank you and Go Birds!

Alex Dean 

Region Champ all 3 years, State Runner Up 2018 & 2019.....

Big expectations to fill....

I know there were a lot of haters especially the people who were so loyal to Wiefering so these 3 years were pretty difficult to watch with a lot of bickering behind the scenes with people 2nd guessing Dean on what he was doing with players.

Can't argue with the success though....

I hope they do look really long and hard on a great replacement, the future is extremely bright with this girls team, especially this current Freshman class going to be Sophomore class.

15 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Region Champ all 3 years, State Runner Up 2018 & 2019.....

Big expectations to fill....

I know there were a lot of haters especially the people who were so loyal to Wiefering so these 3 years were pretty difficult to watch with a lot of bickering behind the scenes with people 2nd guessing Dean on what he was doing with players.

Can't argue with the success though....

I hope they do look really long and hard on a great replacement, the future is extremely bright with this girls team, especially this current Freshman class going to be Sophomore class.

You hit the nail on the head.  I won’t go into any further details, but hopefully the soccer parents are happy and they get what they rightfully deserve.  Just shows you that success means nothing to some parents that complain, complain and complain some more or write secret letters because they are not big enough to say it to someone’s face.

Good luck to Coach Dean on his new gig at the collegiate level.  I am sure he will have success there like he did at Highlands.

1 minute ago, Jack of all Trades said:

You hit the nail on the head.  I won’t go into any further details, but hopefully the soccer parents are happy and they get what they rightfully deserve.  Just shows you that success means nothing to some parents that complain, complain and complain some more or write secret letters because they are not big enough to say it to someone’s face.

Good luck to Coach Dean on his new gig at the collegiate level.  I am sure he will have success there like he did at Highlands.

Exactly, I was hoping he could hang on b/c the connections close to Wief pretty much were graduating with this current Senior class.  I was crossing my fingers if Alex was able to grin and bear it these last 3 years starting next year there weren't a lot of those Wief allies throwing daggers anymore.

Welp, now Bertaso has too pull another "yatzee" out of his hat and go hire another great coach to replace Dean.

At least this isn't a rebuild type of program.....the right coach will do extremely well!!!!

Good luck to Alex!

It seems like it wasn't necessarily the parents. The girls that were no longer "Wiefit girls" as you say had enough of the bullying, the body shaming and the toxic environment that he created. Many had decided to not return so there would not have been much of a soccer team next year if he stayed. 

30 minutes ago, soccer03d said:

It seems like it wasn't necessarily the parents. The girls that were no longer "Wiefit girls" as you say had enough of the bullying, the body shaming and the toxic environment that he created. Many had decided to not return so there would not have been much of a soccer team next year if he stayed. 

Some big accusations....sorry I didn't see that.  If true than wow.

Hope for the best for the Birds this upcoming season, should be a good one.

1 hour ago, soccer03d said:

Yeah why don’t you elaborate.  You think that toxic environment wasn’t there under the previous coach?  The problem was discipline was expected and enforced which some just did not like.  Maybe they can get some of the parents to coach and see how that goes.  

1 hour ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Yeah why don’t you elaborate.  You think that toxic environment wasn’t there under the previous coach?  The problem was discipline was expected and enforced which some just did not like.  Maybe they can get some of the parents to coach and see how that goes.  

Exactly!  I realize that coaching and instilling discipline sometimes can come across as bullying.....or in the game of soccer when running fast and having stamina is a vital characteristic and if a player can't run or is winded very quickly b/c maybe they are out of shape or overweight it can possibly come across as body shaming when the coach points out that you need to possibly eat healthier to lose weight which in turn could create a better playing body.....i can see how that possibly if said incorrectly could come across as body shaming....

I know when dealing with girl athletics I am sure its a very delicate balance between coming across how you want it vs coming across as someone not knowing the situation could possibly turn it into bullying or body shaming.

I just can say for myself we never experienced any of these attributes as you accuse Alex of having....maybe we were lucky.

GO BIRDS!!!!