CFB playoffs

John Anthony

Don't understand Oklahoma at 6 but after the top 4, rankings really don't matter at this point. 

Committee is a joke though. Gary Barta says Ohio State got in based on eye test, yet Texas A&M and Oklahoma are 5/6 over UC because of resume. If they go off resume, Ohio State isn't in due to only playing 6 games.

I know it won't play out this way, but would like to see these NY6 match ups:

Cotton Bowl: Texas A&M v Oklahoma

Peach Bowl: Cincinnati v Georgia

Orange Bowl: North Carolina v Florida

Fiesta Bowl: Iowa State v Oregon

If the committee is looking at location of each team, those make the most sense. I know Orange Bowl is projected UNC v A&M due to conference tie in, but A&M v Oklahoma and UNC v Florida would be way more fun to watch, IMO.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Walter said:

Don't understand Oklahoma at 6 but after the top 4, rankings really don't matter at this point. 

Committee is a joke though. Gary Barta says Ohio State got in based on eye test, yet Texas A&M and Oklahoma are 5/6 over UC because of resume. If they go off resume, Ohio State isn't in due to only playing 6 games.

I agree, but no way Big Covid-19 Conference was being left out. Hopefully they use Big Covid-19 Conference officials in the Clemson/OSU game with Mike DeWine( or Andy Beshear) as replay official. Only fitting lol. I really think this pushes playoffs to eight teams and eliminates some of the made up ESPN bowls. It's all about $$$$s.

Just now, John Anthony said:

Little respect shown towards UC, but UC squeaked out the Tulsa game at home.  I’m guessing that let Oklahoma slide in?

Probably. I think weather and not playing for a month definitely affected UC though. 

Two fumbles inside their own 35 gave Tulsa 10 easy points. 

UC going for it inside Tulsa 10 instead of taking the easy 3 late in the game to put them up 10 was a bad call. (Fick said the same in his post game) Next possession, a bad snap on a FG attempt leads to a blocked kick. 

Is what it is, but that's 16 points right there that made the game closer than it should have. 

UC also had to play pretty much the entire game without starting safety James Wiggins and starting RB Gerrid Doaks, due to injuries. Both 1st team conference selections.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 9068 said:

I agree, but no way Big Covid-19 Conference was being left out. Hopefully they use Big Covid-19 Conference officials in the Clemson/OSU game with Mike DeWine( or Andy Beshear) as replay official. Only fitting lol. I really think this pushes playoffs to eight teams and eliminates some of the made up ESPN bowls. It's all about $$$$s.

I think Ohio State is one of the 4 best teams and should have been in regardless of games played.

My issue is the committee not coming out and using the same reasoning for why teams are ranked where they are. Different criteria was used for different teams to justify rankings. 

I definitely think the lack of confidence in the committee after these past few weeks will lead to expansion both in the conferences and playoffs by 2025. 

Let's be real here. Pac 12 and Big 12 are terrible. One or both of those conferences will continue to be left out which will lead to another round of expansion. Also have to consider how the B1G and SEC dominating TV revenue right now affects things coming up. That alone is enough reasoning to justify expanding the playoff for more opportunity to generate additional revenue.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

If Fickell beats Georgia just give him the Texas job right after the game, even if they haven’t fired Herman yet.

Fick (and more importantly, Amy) have zero interest in that job/move. Already been made public when the Illinois rumors started.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Walter said:

Fick (and more importantly, Amy) have zero interest in that job/move. Already been made public when the Illinois rumors started.

Illinois job is for has been coaches cashing a check, Texas though, they have a ton of money and plenty of catholic schools.  Texas, is gonna give Tom another year regardless.

13 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

Illinois job is for has been coaches cashing a check, Texas though, they have a ton of money and plenty of catholic schools.  Texas, is gonna give Tom another year regardless.

Did I hear Brett Bielema's name attached to the Illinois job possibly?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

Agree on your  reasoning ... But Fick is just a different type of dude and has shown that by continuing to turn down jobs that offer him way more money. His family is rooted in the midwest/Ohio, Amy loves the area and raising her kids here, and at $3.4 mil per year, Fick is the second highest paid G5 coach. (Dana Holgerson makes $3.8 thanks to Fettitta). Those reasons are enough for him to stay put at UC and continue to build until OSU or Notre Dame come open.

UC could have had Landon walk on with free tuition to gain an additional scholarship since dad is a UC employee. Amy wanted Landon on scholarship and everything paid for so he's on scholarship (and deserves it). As long as she's happy and her son is on UC's roster, I don't see Fick going anywhere.

At this point, I'm more worried about Freeman or Gino leaving for a HC opportunity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Vegas early line has Bama a 17.5 favorite and Clemson is a 6.5 favorite. I personally think that is a little high on the Clemson game I would have it around 3 to 3.5 myself.

OSU offense against the two best teams they have played this year, hasn’t looked as sharp. More importantly I should say is, Fields hasn’t looked as sharp. 

Clemson is going to score on OSU. However, OSU needs Fields to look much more sharp in this game. Than he has against the other two good teams they played this year. 

Early Prediction:

Clemson 33

Ohio State 20