Cincinnati Bell Fioptic

OlDog75

Just got a letter from Cincy Bell regarding my fioptic services.  I states that my ONT (Optical Network Terminal) is outdated and in need of replacement (Have had NO trouble with any of my services of phone, cable and internet)  Letter indicates I must call them to set up a time for replacement or some of my services may not work correctly without the upgrade.  It goes on to say "with the upgrade, you will be eligible for future enhancements including faster internet speeds.  So I just called them to set up a time for ONT replacement and the guy proceeds to tell me my internet speed is not supported and I'll need to go to a different level, which now will cost me more per month.  Has anybody dealt with this yet?  Sure seems like a scam in order to increase my bill which I really cannot do right now.  Like I noted earlier in paragraph, we have not had any problem with our services.  Anybody any info with this?

5 hours ago, OlDog75 said:

Just got a letter from Cincy Bell regarding my fioptic services.  I states that my ONT (Optical Network Terminal) is outdated and in need of replacement (Have had NO trouble with any of my services of phone, cable and internet)  Letter indicates I must call them to set up a time for replacement or some of my services may not work correctly without the upgrade.  It goes on to say "with the upgrade, you will be eligible for future enhancements including faster internet speeds.  So I just called them to set up a time for ONT replacement and the guy proceeds to tell me my internet speed is not supported and I'll need to go to a different level, which now will cost me more per month.  Has anybody dealt with this yet?  Sure seems like a scam in order to increase my bill which I really cannot do right now.  Like I noted earlier in paragraph, we have not had any problem with our services.  Anybody any info with this?

I don't have Bell, but it just seems everyone wants to get in your wallet a little deeper. LOL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after the phone call with CinBell, nothing was accomplished.  I went out to their Florence office to discuss the issue face to face.  No upselling and the guy I talked to was very knowledgeable and accommodating.  My ONT (Optical Network Terminal) did need to be replaced and my internet did need to be updated (cost an extra 89 cents on my bill).  The CinBell installer was at the house from @ 2pm to 5pm.  Had to leave twice to "get  the correct part".  Everything seems to be working rather speedy now.  At least my bill (+89 cents) will not change until Oct 2021.  I know one thing, I will not talk to anyone over the phone affiliated with Cincinnati Bell, I'll make the trek out to Florence office when dealing with stuff like this.  My wife and I will be looking at alternatives to cable the next few months.  We're older and not as savvy regarding choices and the way the youngins' nowadays get TV programming.

1 minute ago, OlDog75 said:

Well, after the phone call with CinBell, nothing was accomplished.  I went out to their Florence office to discuss the issue face to face.  No upselling and the guy I talked to was very knowledgeable and accommodating.  My ONT (Optical Network Terminal) did need to be replaced and my internet did need to be updated (cost and extra 89 cents on my bill).  The CinBell installer was at the house from @ 2pm to 5pm.  Had to leave twice to "get  the correct part".  Everything seems to be working rather speedy now.  At least my bill (+89 cents) will not change until Oct 2021.  I know one thing, I will not talk to anyone over the phone affiliated with Cincinnati Bell, I'll make the trek out to Florence office when dealing with stuff like this.  My wife and I will be looking at alternatives to cable the next few months.  We're older and not as savvy regarding choices and the way the youngins' nowadays get TV programming.

Thanks for the update and I hear you on phone support...

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2020 at 1:18 PM, OlDog75 said:

Well, after the phone call with CinBell, nothing was accomplished.  I went out to their Florence office to discuss the issue face to face.  No upselling and the guy I talked to was very knowledgeable and accommodating.  My ONT (Optical Network Terminal) did need to be replaced and my internet did need to be updated (cost an extra 89 cents on my bill).  The CinBell installer was at the house from @ 2pm to 5pm.  Had to leave twice to "get  the correct part".  Everything seems to be working rather speedy now.  At least my bill (+89 cents) will not change until Oct 2021.  I know one thing, I will not talk to anyone over the phone affiliated with Cincinnati Bell, I'll make the trek out to Florence office when dealing with stuff like this.  My wife and I will be looking at alternatives to cable the next few months.  We're older and not as savvy regarding choices and the way the youngins' nowadays get TV programming.

I hear ya! My adult kids use Hulu and their bills are half of what ours is.  I am so familiar with my cable that I hesitate to change, despite the fact that we probably only watch 10 channels at the most.   Fear of change, a typical sign that I am getting old!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Beechwoodfan said:

I hear ya! My adult kids use Hulu and their bills are half of what ours is.  I am so familiar with my cable that I hesitate to change, despite the fact that we probably only watch 10 channels at the most.   Fear of change, a typical sign that I am getting old!

There was actually a study done awhile back that I read that said, no matter how many channels you have access to, most people only watch no more than 16.  I know I've got probably over 50 or 60 channels saved in my "favorites", but there are plenty that I'll check to see what's on, but rarely, if ever, actually watch anything.

• Like 1