BluegrassPreps Class 5A Football Rankings (10/12) - Discussion

TheDeuce

Class 5A

The revolving door of #1's continues with Frederick Douglass returning to the top of the heap for the first time since the pre-season poll. The Broncos leapfrogged Covington Catholic after burying 2A #2 LCA in an avalanche of Division 1 talent and turnovers. Speaking of D1 talent, top prospect Gavin Wimsatt rescued Owensboro from OCath's clutches with a commanding second half performance against the Aces. The Red Devils escaped the flag fest unscathed and hold steady at #5 in the BGP poll, although they check in at #1 in the season's first RPI rankings. 

Bowling Green's offense is still only scratching the surface of its potential, but the playbook was expanded to great effect in the second half against McCracken County. A 0-6 halftime deficit gave way to an eventual 28-6 fourth quarter lead behind the running of Javy Bunton, who scored all four of BG’s touchdowns. If the Purples can pull their offense level with their defense, this becomes a scary football team.

Highlands returns to the Top Ten after smoking Boone County. The Birds roll into CovCath week with a full head of steam, looking more and more like a team capable of ending a five game losing streak to the Colonels. North Bullitt ended a significant losing streak of its own last Friday and made one of the loudest statements of Week 5 in the process. The Eagles blanked South Oldham to end a ten game skid to the Dragons and insert themselves as district favorites. But usurping the crown from South Oldham means winning again in November, something that's been easier said than done for district opponents over the last several years.

1. Frederick Douglass at Great Crossing

2. Covington Catholic vs. #10 Highlands 

3. South Warren vs. Greenwood 

4. Bowling Green at Christian County 

5. Owensboro vs. Graves County 

6. Scott County at Montgomery County 

7. North Bullitt at Jeffersontown 

8. Southwestern vs. South Laurel 

9. Pulaski County at East Jessamine 

10. Highlands at #2 Covington Catholic 

• Like 1

Looks accurate and agree with Freddy D being the legit #1 even with the opening season loss. The # 2 spot could be toss up between CCH, SW, and BG. I know SW barely beat BG. Highlands will give CCH a game this Friday so we should know more about CCH. It all will play itself out. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bluecolonels95 said:

Looks accurate and agree with Freddy D being the legit #1 even with the opening season loss. The # 2 spot could be toss up between CCH, SW, and BG. I know SW barely beat BG. Highlands will give CCH a game this Friday so we should know more about CCH. It all will play itself out. 

Agree and based on what I have been reading in the below thread maybe CovCath should be lower than #2:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, theguru said:

Agree and based on what I have been reading in the below thread maybe CovCath should be lower than #2:

Doubt you will get much straight talk in that thread. CovCath fans don't want to give locker room material. Highlands fans worried a win or close loss means they may not be able to run Weinrich out of town at the end of the season.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

Doubt you will get much straight talk in that thread. CovCath fans don't want to give locker room material. Highlands fans worried a win or close loss means they may not be able to run Weinrich out of town at the end of the season.

If Weinrich is gone at the end of the year the best place to look for the reason why will be in the mirror.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

That is exactly what I was thinking.  CCH fans are sandbagging and most Highlands fans want Weinrich out and when you add that combination up straight talk goes out the window.

On 10/12/2020 at 3:41 PM, theguru said:

That is exactly what I was thinking.  CCH fans are sandbagging and most Highlands fans want Weinrich out and when you add that combination up straight talk goes out the window.

I think Cov Cath fans are not sandbagging. Cov Cath came out of Dixie and Beechwood lucky to have Ws. There isn't a burly NFL guy on both sides of the ball, and they notice it. Still obviously a very good team with great coaching but they are not your 2016-2019 Colonels so far. They should beat Highlands but it's a rivalry game and the gap is closer than has been in 5 years.

• Like 1