"Survivor" removed from CBS Fall schedule

Was thinking about this the other day. I have no idea how television production is done but you have to think most fall shows weren’t finished taping when the coronavirus shut things down. Looks like a lot of reruns (not to mention delayed movies) for the fall season.

For survivor they film two seasons back to back in the summer. One airs in the fall, one airs in the spring. I would imagine this means no survivor until next fall. They very well could film a season this fall or winter and show it in the spring, but it would be very different from how they usually operate. In all reality it could be done. Test and quarantine the survivors and all production crew for 14 days before production starts. From then on there is basically no risk of Covid for obvious reasons. 

16 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

For survivor they film two seasons back to back in the summer. One airs in the fall, one airs in the spring. I would imagine this means no survivor until next fall. They very well could film a season this fall or winter and show it in the spring, but it would be very different from how they usually operate. In all reality it could be done. Test and quarantine the survivors and all production crew for 14 days before production starts. From then on there is basically no risk of Covid for obvious reasons. 

I originally thought the same as you, definitely doable.  

But, with the 14 days of quarantining them, all the pre-production, the 39 days, plus however many days before returning to their homes, you are now probably at 2 months or longer that you are asking these people to be away from their homes during some crazy times.  What if a family member got COVID-19 during all that?  That unknown and uncertainty would sure make it tough to be gone without communication that long.

1 hour ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I originally thought the same as you, definitely doable.  

But, with the 14 days of quarantining them, all the pre-production, the 39 days, plus however many days before returning to their homes, you are now probably at 2 months or longer that you are asking these people to be away from their homes during some crazy times.  What if a family member got COVID-19 during all that?  That unknown and uncertainty would sure make it tough to be gone without communication that long.

Totally agreed. On the surface level it’s definitely doable, but there are still risks involved even if the risk for those actually on site is zero. My hope would be that by October/ November we’ve reached a point where they would feel comfortable filming but I’m not sure anyone really knows. My best guess is that they’re already working on a plan like that. They already have the casts for 41 and 42 basically on standby whenever they do decide to start filming again. Once they do decide to start filming I would imagine it would be a really quick process to get things kicked off since they’ve filmed in the same location for years now. But who really knows right now. I think I’m going to take the same strategy as you and watch one episode a week during the fall just to feel like I’m still watching survivor. Trying to decide on a season is going to be tough though. I want to rewatch a great season but I’ve rewatched all of the really great seasons (Pearl Islands, Micro, Tocantins, HvV, and Cagayan) several times already. Let me know what season you decide and maybe we can get a BGP discussion this fall for a season we all rewatch. Would be cool to get a couple fans in here who haven’t seen the season before just to get their opinions on what’s going on with some of us already knowing what happens. 

5 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

So did they actually stop filming a season that was already underway?

They were getting ready to start filming in March.  The crew was in place getting ready, but I don't think the competitors had actually arrived.  In April, the filming was officially canceled and the crew sent home.

Looks like the Amazing Race will be airing in Survivors place.  They've had this season in the can now for almost two years, and it was originally supposed to premier right after this last season of Survivor.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GrantNKY said:

Totally agreed. On the surface level it’s definitely doable, but there are still risks involved even if the risk for those actually on site is zero. My hope would be that by October/ November we’ve reached a point where they would feel comfortable filming but I’m not sure anyone really knows. My best guess is that they’re already working on a plan like that. They already have the casts for 41 and 42 basically on standby whenever they do decide to start filming again. Once they do decide to start filming I would imagine it would be a really quick process to get things kicked off since they’ve filmed in the same location for years now. But who really knows right now. I think I’m going to take the same strategy as you and watch one episode a week during the fall just to feel like I’m still watching survivor. Trying to decide on a season is going to be tough though. I want to rewatch a great season but I’ve rewatched all of the really great seasons (Pearl Islands, Micro, Tocantins, HvV, and Cagayan) several times already. Let me know what season you decide and maybe we can get a BGP discussion this fall for a season we all rewatch. Would be cool to get a couple fans in here who haven’t seen the season before just to get their opinions on what’s going on with some of us already knowing what happens. 

I just rewatched them all from November 2018 - April 2019.  I'm not sure what we are going to go with, but I'll definitely let you know!

• Like 1