2020 Baseball Season - Are there any KHSAA updates?

I would have disagreed if I was on here last night. The KHSAA did make a stand.

Yep. During one of his pressers during the girls Sweet 16, Julian was asked about Spring sports and maybe baseball specifically. He said they had been consistent about this all along, and until the start of the state tournament it would be a local decision.

I was told KHSAA has sent out a memo stating any players playing “sand lot” games where an umpire is involved and payments being made, those players will not be eligible to return to school ball. Which is in direct response I understand to some venues offering places for kids to come play. Obviously making the venues/ballparks a few bucks I’m sure.

While I’m excited to hear they are at hopeful they will resume play this season, I really feel this is over stepping their bounds. If the KHSAA is in a dead period I would think kids should be eligible to do whatever their parents see fit.

Thoughts? Am I looking at this wrong?

Edited by JoeTuck33

I was told KHSAA has sent out a memo stating any players playing “sand lot” games where an umpire is involved and payments being made, those players will not be eligible to return to school ball. Which is in direct response I understand to some venues offering places for kids to come play. Obviously making the venues/ballparks a few bucks I’m sure.

While I’m excited to hear they are at hopeful they will resume play this season, I really feel this is over stepping their bounds. If the KHSAA is in a dead period I would think kids should be eligible to do whatever their parents see fit.

I am with the KHSAA on that one.

Defeats the purpose of having a dead period.

Any reason why you feel that way ? I’m not looking to argue, just looking to see if I’m missing something other than the obvious concerns of the virus. But in that case I’m of the side that says take precautions practice hygiene etc but the world hasn’t shut down. I just feel if that’s the only reason, the KHSAA isn’t the ones qualified to be making those decisions outside their games/teams/etc.

Any reason why you feel that way ? I’m not looking to argue, just looking to see if I’m missing something other than the obvious concerns of the virus. But in that case I’m of the side that says take precautions practice hygiene etc but the world hasn’t shut down. I just feel if that’s the only reason, the KHSAA isn’t the ones qualified to be making those decisions outside their games/teams/etc.

The purpose of the dead period is to keep this from spreading. If the players go and play on their own whether it be sandlot it travel ball then we might as well be playing. We don’t want contact so by doing the others is not stopping that.

The issues were all related around crowds. No different than what’s going on at any grocery store. I’m not saying stopping the KHSAA games was the wrong decision , I’m just saying telling them what to do in their free time is out of bounds IMO. If that’s the case any player who goes to the grocery, a gym, church, or around any other crowd shouldn’t play when they resume by this logic.

Ok, so a group of kids go play a baseball game at a local park? No umps, just playing ball. No difference in the activity if we’re just talking about concerns over spreading the virus. Once again, not mad at the decision, just not sure this should be a call made by the KHSSA.

Either way I’m happy there is still hope for a season for these kids. Although the 8 week recommendation from the CDC that can’t our today probably won’t help.

Ok, so a group of kids go play a baseball game at a local park? No umps, just playing ball. No difference in the activity if we’re just talking about concerns over spreading the virus. Once again, not mad at the decision, just not sure this should be a call made by the KHSSA.

Either way I’m happy there is still hope for a season for these kids. Although the 8 week recommendation from the CDC that can’t our today probably won’t help.

It is absolutely the KHSAA's call. Virus or not, it is not permissable for any player to play on another non school based team in an organized game while in the designated KHSAA season. It's no different than trying to play in an AAU basketball during the high school season. Outside of the given KHSAA season, you can do whatever you want. Now from what I understand, if a bunch of guys just show up at a park and play---no umps, no coaches, no school apparel, no fees to play, not on school fields, that would be ok. But unsupervised play like that could lead to injuries, and other problems, not to mention, not practicing social distancing that is being asked of everyone. There are plenty of ways to stay in shape, without jeopardizine your safety, health and eligibility.