Schiano tells Miami he's not leaving Rutgers.

woodsrider

Right not the Miami job does seem to be the snakepit, but also, you have to remember that when it is good down there it is really good.

It has never been a top job. Top performing program? yes. Top program? no way. They play in a dump. The facilities are run down. the school is tiny compared to the other in-state powers. They never sell out. They have wore traveling fans in major college football. The coaches aren't paid in the top twenty of coaches. Urban Meyer is getting all the in state kids that he wants. Its not a great job, never was. It is however better than Rutgers.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has never been a top job. Top performing program? yes. Top program? no way. They play in a dump. The facilities are run down. the school is tiny compared to the other in-state powers. They never sell out. They have wore traveling fans in major college football. The coaches aren't paid in the top twenty of coaches. Urban Meyer is getting all the in state kids that he wants. Its not a great job, never was. It is however better than Rutgers.

Dead on too how I feel except I don't know that it was never a good job. I also think Rutgers is a better job right now. That area is starving for football while Miami could care less about any sports excpet maybe the Heat.

I think he is holding out for bigger better things.

I will agree from a facilities stand point but they get all the recruits they want. You don't win 5 national titles being just a to performing porgram.

I will agree from a facilities stand point but they get all the recruits they want. You don't win 5 national titles being just a to performing porgram.

I'm telling you, those days are over. Look at all the guys they lost out on recently.

With teams like South Florida etc picking up there it will hurt them some too. There are so many athletes in Florida that they can fill almost all rosters in the top 20 programs.

If you look at Miami they have won a lot of BIG games with a lot of BIG thugs and trouble makers. I think Coker was a good guy that rolled the dice like all coaches there. When the problem players stay out of trouble and play they are hard to beat but it's only a matter of time before you get burnt when you play with fire!

I'm telling you, those days are over. Look at all the guys they lost out on recently.

Actually they are not over. The recruiting class rankings since 02:

02 - #8

03 - #5

04 - #4

05 - #7

06 - #14

07 - So far they are only ranked #33 but they only have 9 commits

I don't doubt Meyer isn't helping their recruiting but to think they are done and are not still a top program in the country is silly.

With teams like South Florida etc picking up there it will hurt them some too. There are so many athletes in Florida that they can fill almost all rosters in the top 20 programs.

If you look at Miami they have won a lot of BIG games with a lot of BIG thugs and trouble makers. I think Coker was a good guy that rolled the dice like all coaches there. When the problem players stay out of trouble and play they are hard to beat but it's only a matter of time before you get burnt when you play with fire!

I would agree with that at one time they had a problem with their players being thugs. But if you look at the program when Davis took over he cleaned it up. I am not saying they didn't have some issue but it wasn't like it was back in the early-mid 90's. This year as gone back to some of that and that is why Coker is out.

02 - #8

03 - #5

04 - #4

05 - #7

06 - #14

I don't doubt Meyer isn't helping their recruiting but to think they are done and are not still a top program in the country is silly.

It won't crack the Top 25 this year...and with the facilities lack of money, etc...we might see "The U" drop back into mediocrity.

02 - #8

03 - #5

04 - #4

05 - #7

06 - #14

Once again, I don't question their performance in the past. I do question if its a top program for the reasons I've stated. When they had to dot the Is and cross the Ts during Davis' time they really didn't excell. Coker comes in and relaxes the rules, the play geys better but at a price. It all caved in this year. i don't think it will be like turning on a switch anymore. In fact, look for them to have a tough time filling the job after dumping Coker with the record he rang up. The program is in decline. Based on the facilities and lack of real history it was always on borrowed time in my opinion.

Once again, I don't question their performance in the past. I do question if its a top program for the reasons I've stated. When they had to dot the Is and cross the Ts during Davis' time they really didn't excell. Coker comes in and relaxes the rules, the play geys better but at a price. It all caved in this year. i don't think it will be like turning on a switch anymore. In fact, look for them to have a tough time filling the job after dumping Coker with the record he rang up. The program is in decline. Based on the facilities and lack of real history it was always on borrowed time in my opinion.

The school president has sent out fillers to the alumni about donating money to renovate the stadium and to upgrade the football infrastructure. She did that the day that Coker was told he was gone. There is alot of big money in the NFL with strong ties to Miami and I think those alums will donate big to the school in order to get things back to where they were.

Davis is the one that brought them back. He built one of the best if not the best single college team ever. The 01 Hurricanes were loaded with talent. I believe just about every start from thier title team went pro eventually. Coker did what he did with the Davis remains. He was still able to bring in a some good recruits but he just doesn't know how to run a program.

And a again, you guys can talk about facilities all you want but 5 NT speaks alot loader.

Schiano made a wise decision to stay at Rutgers for now. That can change very sudden. He has the support of the Admin. and things are on the upswing. It seems that it is a good fit for him at it present state. They have come a long way from where they were. If he has more of the success he experienced this season he will have many offers in the future.