Year 28 is done: What is next and trying to do better

ChiefSmoke

11/10/2019 .... was the date on this blogpost.

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 7.51.34 PM.png

Our season ended this past Friday night in a loss to a very good CAL team. It was the first round of the playoffs. We defeated CAL in the regular season but were unable to do so in November. This finishes year 28 as a head coach... 4 at Paris HS, 19 at Mason County HS and now 5 at Mercer County HS.

I am very proud of the 2019 Titans. We played some very good football this season and improved substantially from where we have been the past 4 years. Our final record was 8-3. Our 3 losses were to Boyle County (4A #1), DeSales (3A #1 earlier in the season) & CAL (3A #1 at the beginning of the season). We were in a district with CAL & DeSales. Our district was called the "group of death." We were also a 3A Top Ten team this season.

I have never been a good loser and it is only getting worse. The next few weeks will be tough. A good friend who is the same way called today to check on me. He is a good guy, and about as crazy as I am. I really did appreciate the phone call.

So, to cope with no football while the season continues in Kentucky for the next four weeks, this is my plan:

1- Count my blessings.

2- Serve Others.

3- Work to become a better coach.

I am embarrassed at how bad my attitude is when the season is over. God blessed me with outstanding young men to coach this season. They worked their tails off and did a really good job. I've got a wonderful wife and family. My boys and I are looking forward to our annual Notre Dame trip. In December, John Combs is marrying Caroline who is an incredible young lady. The blessings are overwhelming. But, I will still feel like vomiting each afternoon when it is time to practice. On Friday nights with no game, it is especially tough. We will go out to eat as a family and pretend there is no football being played.

When my mind starts to go to dark places over the next few days, I will quickly try to refocus on the three things listed above.

In one of Tony Dungy's books, he said that he knew that at some point, God would allow him to be satisfied with the job he had done as a coach. I am still waiting for that day. I trust God and believe that day will come.

Why share this? Because I know there are coaches like me that feel the same way right now. If this can help them navigate the next few days, that would be great.

And, yes, Stephanie is a saint for putting up with me. :)

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 8.13.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 8.14.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 8.16.02 PM.png

Here are some pics from our Notre Dame trip the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Very cold but a great trip. No place like Notre Dame. My son on the right gets married a week from this coming Saturday. My son on the left was our back up QB and long snapper this past season.... no bad snaps! We will try to keep doing this trip every year. Hopefully some day it will include grandsons!

Here are some pics from our Notre Dame trip the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Very cold but a great trip. No place like Notre Dame. My son on the right gets married a week from this coming Saturday. My son on the left was our back up QB and long snapper this past season.... no bad snaps! We will try to keep doing this trip every year. Hopefully some day it will include grandsons!

I'm not a Notre Dame fan but a trip to South Bend is definitely on my bucket list of places to visit. Glad you guys get to make the trip.

I think maybe the hardest part of being a coach is knowing you will fail. Doesn’t matter if you get a ring at the end or not you’ll always look back and think about all the things you could/should of done better. You think about things you could of done and wonder why you didn’t.

I take the losses very hard as well coach. It seems to get harder every year to give that last post game talk. As coaches, we put so much time into preparing our team and caring for our players that it's a punch in the gut when it ends. Thank you for sharing your post with us, it is helpful knowing we all go through the same feelings together and there are brighter days ahead.

Had the opportunity to officiate for you when you were at Paris and Mason County and had some great conversations with you when we brought our basketball teams to the Fieldhouse. It was such a pleasure to do both. Men like you were why men like me kept doing what we did. Keep working at it, learning, enjoying, and being the role model you have been. Congratulations to your son! Notre Dame is a special experience for a true fan! And yes, you are correct....our wives and kids are special people for putting up with us lol. Merry Christmas!!