Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2018 BluegrassPreps Boys Basketball Pre-Season Rankings Discussion

Featured Replies

I know plenty of coaches who don’t even coach the team during the scrimmage, you mentioned football players being absent and everyone plays in scrimmages. It’s always been hard for me to take scrimmage results seriously when kids who won’t play much at all in January/February are starting or playing a lot in the scrimmage.

 

Guess we watch different scrimmages. I was just stating what I've seen. Hate to hear some coaches don't even coach in them. That seems counterproductive to me. Oh well, good luck to all in the upcoming basketball season!

  • Replies 38
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess we watch different scrimmages. I was just stating what I've seen. Hate to hear some coaches don't even coach in them. That seems counterproductive to me. Oh well, good luck to all in the upcoming basketball season!

 

I’ve never seen a team not achieve season expectations because of what they did or didn’t do in a scrimmage.

 

No one has ever said, we’d have won region if we would have approached that scrimmage differently. Scrimmages break a month of monotony of practicing against the same people for a month. They really don’t mean much in the grand scheme of things.

I tend to disagree with you on the scrimmages mean nothing (except may be missing some football players) and with so many sites out there covering basketball now, you can know a lot about those scrimmages.

 

It some you can and some you can't as PP explained below. It depends on how the scrimmages are set up. If it is played like a regular game then I agree with you. If played like PP mentioned then I agree with him. I have seen them played both ways.

 

We scrimmaged Dunbar last night and won, but I don't know how the scrimmage was played. This weekend we play #2 ranked Trinity at Sheldon Clark in a classic. That game w

 

I know plenty of coaches who don’t even coach the team during the scrimmage, you mentioned football players being absent and everyone plays in scrimmages. It’s always been hard for me to take scrimmage results seriously when kids who won’t play much at all in January/February are starting or playing a lot in the scrimmage.

We scrimmaged Dunbar last night and won, but I don't know how the scrimmage was played. This weekend we play #2 ranked Trinity at Sheldon Clark in a classic. That game will be like a real game.

I tend to disagree with you on the scrimmages mean nothing (except may be missing some football players) and with so many sites out there covering basketball now, you can know a lot about those scrimmages.

 

It some you can and some you can't as PP explained below. It depends on how the scrimmages are set up. If it is played like a regular game then I agree with you. If played like PP mentioned then I agree with him. I have seen them played both ways.

 

 

 

I know plenty of coaches who don’t even coach the team during the scrimmage, you mentioned football players being absent and everyone plays in scrimmages. It’s always been hard for me to take scrimmage results seriously when kids who won’t play much at all in January/February are starting or playing a lot in the scrimmage.

We scrimmaged Dunbar last night and won, but I don't know how the scrimmage was played. This weekend we play #2 ranked Trinity at Sheldon Clark in a classic. That game will be like a real game.

Edited by gold sunrise

You're right the score means nothing, but the talent speaks for itself and Male is LOADED WITH TALENT. Like @Jackie moon stated kyky can only carry them so far, someone is going to have to help him pull the load. Ijs

It some you can and some you can't as PP explained below. It depends on how the scrimmages are set up. If it is played like a regular game then I agree with you. If played like PP mentioned then I agree with him. I have seen them played both ways.

 

 

 

 

We scrimmaged Dunbar last night and won, but I don't know how the scrimmage was played. This weekend we play #2 ranked Trinity at Sheldon Clark in a classic. That game will be like a real game.

 

It makes no difference of the format, a scrimmage is still a practice session. Some coaches just handle them differently. I watched GCR beat Scott Co. last year in the Zip Zone Classic, could GCR play with Scott County in March.

It makes no difference of the format, a scrimmage is still a practice session. Some coaches just handle them differently. I watched GCR beat Scott Co. last year in the Zip Zone Classic, could GCR play with Scott County in March.

 

Same thing I am saying it is they are handled different.

You're right the score means nothing, but the talent speaks for itself and Male is LOADED WITH TALENT. Like @Jackie moon stated kyky can only carry them so far, someone is going to have to help him pull the load. Ijs

 

You very well could be 100% correct. The only point I am trying to make is that basing preseason rankings off of scrimmage results leads to a hollow preseason ranking. Preseason rankings are based on hype, experience returning, coaching, pedigree with a hint of bias added for good measure. Show me a preseason ranking that doesn’t change drastically within a month and I’m trying to find the people who did the rankings to give me some Powerball numbers.

You're right the score means nothing, but the talent speaks for itself and Male is LOADED WITH TALENT. Like @Jackie moon stated kyky can only carry them so far, someone is going to have to help him pull the load. Ijs

 

You have to remember they are returning everyone from last year, who swept a very good Hopkinsville team, and defeated a very good Christian County team twice. They play a much tougher schedule this year than last, and while I think their ranking may be a little high, its not by much.

 

Male on the other hand, will be in the top 20 soon enough. One of the problems with preseason rankings is not knowing what any team really has, especially if a team lost talent from the year before. Nobody really knows who will step up and lead until the season begins. Teams that didn't lose a whole lot will be ranked higher in the preseason until things start shaking out. In Male's case, they are at best the 3rd best team in Region 7 right now, and will have to prove otherwise.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.