Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Class 4A Region Final: Ashland at Johnson Central

Who gets the W? 31 members have voted

  1. 1. Who gets the W?

    • Ashland
      6%
    • Johnson Central
      93%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

These two fierce rivals are squaring off with a regional championship on the line for the third year in a row. Johnson Central (11-1) is seeking its fourth straight trip to the semifinals, while Ashland (11-1) is hoping to practice on Thanksgiving for the first time since 1990.

 

Jim Matney’s boys have mostly dominated the Tomcats since he arrived in Paintsville back in 2004, going 13-3 against Ashland during that time. Most years, they've overwhelmed the Tomcats with a relentless rushing attack behind a powerful offensive line. Such was the case on October 19th, when JC attempted not a single pass and rushed for 400 yards to beat Ashland 47-24.

 

With great speed and athletes like Braxton Ratliff, Keontae Pittman, Blake Hester, and Cade Brandt, Ashland has the personnel to put points on the board. But the question remains the same… Can Ashland slow down JC's running game and come up with enough stops/turnovers to put themselves in position to win?

I just can't see Ashland winning this game. I hope I'm wrong, but I figure this game will be much like the first one.

 

Johnson Central 42

 

Ashland 21

This is kind of on topic. Growing up I heard and read about a lot of schools. I graduated high school in 2000. I certainly heard of Paintsville (basketball) and Ashland. I never heard of Johnson Central until about 10 years ago. Can I get a quick history lesson on the football team? Thanks

  • Author
This is kind of on topic. Growing up I heard and read about a lot of schools. I graduated high school in 2000. I certainly heard of Paintsville (basketball) and Ashland. I never heard of Johnson Central until about 10 years ago. Can I get a quick history lesson on the football team? Thanks

 

Johnson Central High School is the result of a consolidation of the Van Lear, Meade Memorial, Oil Springs, and Flat Gap school districts in the late 60’s. First season with a football team was 1970. From the early days of the football program through the early 2000’s, they had more losing seasons than winning seasons. Outside of a few notable years under Ed Vanhoose in the late 70’s and Bill Musick in the late 90’s through the early 00’s, there wasn't a ton of football history to speak of. Fortunately for JC, Sheldon Clark coach Jim Matney saw something about the potential there that he liked. He came to JC from Sheldon Clark in 2004 after a successful two decade run there. Prior to Matney's arrival, JC had fallen on hard times on the football field, going just 5-25 during the three years before he took over. They won seven games in his first year, and the rest is history.

 

He immediately elevated a bad program to a good one, and in recent years, a good program to a great one.

In recent history for the most part, the rematch between this teams has either been much closer than the initial matchup, or the other team would win. I think there was one exception back in 2016 where JC demolished Ashland in the playoffs.

 

I expect this game to be a little closer than the first, but unless JC turns the ball over on multiple occasions, I believe they will be the victors. To bad I have to miss this one! Good luck Eagles!

 

Johnson Central 36

Ashland 24

Here's yet another comparison / connection that Ashland and Raceland has between the schools, we both have district, region rivals in Paintsville and this season, have to beat a Paintsville / JC teams at their place.

I would Love to see Ashland win this one. Considering that the game is in Paintsville and the result of the first one, JC is the smart pic. I have been called a lot of things in my time on bgp but smart has never been one of them :D…..

 

Ashland wins this one by 6.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.