Boyle County vs Corbin 8th Grade (KYMSFA Division II State Semi's)

charlesw88

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if there is any chance the middle school athletic associations would allow schools from other regions of the state play against each other. Would have loved to see how a few of the teams in Northern Kentucky stacked up to the teams mentioned in this forum. Moving forward I hope they talk about this. Logistically I know busses and costs may be an issue but I believe worth it.

Wonder if there is any chance the middle school athletic associations would allow schools from other regions of the state play against each other. Would have loved to see how a few of the teams in Northern Kentucky stacked up to the teams mentioned in this forum. Moving forward I hope they talk about this. Logistically I know busses and costs may be an issue but I believe worth it.

What teams are you talking about? Past the teams that play in the middle school conference that has the Kenton county schools and some others the other Northern Kentucky schools play in the tournament.

What teams are you talking about? Past the teams that play in the middle school conference that has the Kenton county schools and some others the other Northern Kentucky schools play in the tournament.

I'm not aware of any Northern Kentucky 8th grade teams that play any farther south than Pendleton County. So I guess my answer is any of the teams up here. My point was there were some really good #1 and #2 8th grade seeds up here that could have represented well anywhere in the state, and I would love to have seen it.

Ryle, and Highlands did this year. Cooper did last year. Cooper might have this year. If you consider Grant NKY they have in the past. Really none of the Kenton Co schools do because of the conference they play in.

I’m not knocking schools like Turkeyfoot or the like but the Johnson Cos and Corbins of the world are a completely different animal. The eastern Kentucky schools are no joke in anyway. The Bluegrass Conference which has Elkhorn and the Scott Co MS is pretty solid also.

I'm not aware of any Northern Kentucky 8th grade teams that play any farther south than Pendleton County. So I guess my answer is any of the teams up here. My point was there were some really good #1 and #2 8th grade seeds up here that could have represented well anywhere in the state, and I would love to have seen it.

Ryle, and Highlands did this year. Cooper did last year. Cooper might have this year. If you consider Grant NKY they have in the past. Really none of the Kenton Co schools do because of the conference they play in.

I’m not knocking schools like Turkeyfoot or the like but the Johnson Cos and Corbins of the world are a completely different animal. The eastern Kentucky schools are no joke in anyway. The Bluegrass Conference which has Elkhorn and the Scott Co MS is pretty solid also.

I believe some nky schools are not allowed to play from the Kenton County Rules, School board district etc...I have heard so many things on this topic and each one varies. Costs, buses, approval etc etc...

Maybe @rjs4470 can help with this...

I believe some nky schools are not allowed to play from the Kenton County Rules, School board district etc...I have heard so many things on this topic and each one varies. Costs, buses, approval etc etc...

Maybe @rjs4470 can help with this...

As far as I'm aware, the NKMSAA exists out of convenience(which isn't a bad thing). There are enough teams up in NKY that there really isn't a need to travel outside of the region. Obviously, transportation is a big issue, as some of the NKMSAA schools don't provide transportation (Kenton County Schools for example). Because the playoffs overlap, and the Middle School State association season is a few weeks longer, timing also becomes a problem. So in theory, a team could decide to play in the State league, but it would require them pulling out of the NKMSAA. It might not be so bad travelwise, with the Norseman League now up and running, although playoff travel would present a problem.

Teams have gone outside of the NKMSAA to pick up games here and there....Woodland was scheduled to play a game in Georgetown against Crawford Middle, in early August prior to the NKMSAA season, but the travel paperwork got hung up and didn't get completed due to administrative changes at the school (nobody's fault, just got lost in the shuffle). I know some teams have also played/Scrimmaged against the Union Raiders, Grant County and sometimes NKYFL teams when they still had a Senior Division.

As far as NKMSAA teams being competitive in the State....I'm sorry to say, for the most part, the answer would be no. There have been a few teams over the years that would have been competitive and done well--Campbell County in 2016 and 2011, last year's Woodland 8th grade team, and obviously, Cov Cath when they were in the league from 2009-2013. There isn't a team in NKY this year that would stand a chance against the really good State League schools. While the NKMSAA was more competitive this year than in years past (where one team pretty much dominated each division), that was more a reflection of the quality of the league being down as a whole, rather than all the teams being better. Don't get me wrong, I love the NKMSAA and the opportunities it provides, but for the most part, the top KYMSFA teams are on a different level. That being said, I'd love to see NKMSAA schools play outside of NKY, especially the larger and medium sized schools. Logistically though, I'm not sure how it would work out with scheduling, league dues, travel etc.

Edited by rjs4470

We (Corbin 8th grade) have been begging for games all year.We had a game scheduled with highlands and they cancelled.To the best of my knowledge coach called everyone trying to get games.Im sure coach would come to your place next year just to get some games

As far as NKMSAA teams being competitive in the State....I'm sorry to say, for the most part, the answer would be no. There have been a few teams over the years that would have been competitive and done well--Campbell County in 2016 and 2011, last year's Woodland 8th grade team, and obviously, Cov Cath when they were in the league from 2009-2013. There isn't a team in NKY this year that would stand a chance against the really good State League schools. While the NKMSAA was more competitive this year than in years past (where one team pretty much dominated each division), that was more a reflection of the quality of the league being down as a whole, rather than all the teams being better. Don't get me wrong, I love the NKMSAA and the opportunities it provides, but for the most part, the top KYMSFA teams are on a different level. That being said, I'd love to see NKMSAA schools play outside of NKY, especially the larger and medium sized schools. Logistically though, I'm not sure how it would work out with scheduling, league dues, travel etc.

I forgot Highlands, Ryle, Cooper, and Conner aren't part of the NKY association. The only team up here that I know dominated everyone was Holmes and to say that team wouldn't compete anywhere other than in NKY is a stretch. I'm not knocking Other Middle School Programs anywhere I'm just saying, in general, I would love to have seen how a couple of teams from up here stacked up.

I forgot Highlands, Ryle, Cooper, and Conner aren't part of the NKY association. The only team up here that I know dominated everyone was Holmes and to say that team wouldn't compete anywhere other than in NKY is a stretch. I'm not knocking Other Middle School Programs anywhere I'm just saying, in general, I would love to have seen how a couple of teams from up here stacked up.

I didn’t see Holmes play this year. And I haven’t seen any schools outside of NKY play this year. And to say the top NKY teams couldn’t compete, is probably a bit of a stretch on my part, and not completely fair. Week in, week out the top NKMSAA teams would probably compete during the regular season. To be clearer, I should have said they couldn’t compete with the top KYMSFA teams. I’ve seen some of those teams over the years, and to be perfectly frank, it wouldn’t be close. Like it or not, those teams are on a different level. Go check out a few semi final/finals games in Lexington this weekend and you’ll get it. Over the last 10 years, I’d say there’s only a few NKMSAA that could have competed for a state title in the KYMSFA.

Honestly, this topic should probably be a thread on its own.

Not to sidetrack the thread any more but NKY wise I think this is your litmus test. Can you compete or beat the Ryle program? If you can then you’ve got a chance to beat some of the teams in the playoffs. If you can’t then you might not make it out of the first round.