Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

I think that Mercer & Western....

Featured Replies

both have a great chance of breaking the state rushing record for a team. If they keep going at their current pace and if both reach the state finals, it's almost a lock. Here are theTop 25 Rushing Teams:

 

(ranked by yards per game)

School Gm Yds Per Gm

Mercer County 9 3818 424.2

Western 9 3811 423.4

Johnson Central 8 2654 331.8

Rockcastle County 9 2971 330.1

Heath 9 2849 316.6

East Jessamine 9 2846 316.2

Highlands 9 2829 314.3

Frankfort 9 2779 308.8

Belfry 9 2713 301.4

Russellville 9 2700 300.0

Lynn Camp 9 2659 295.4

Russell 9 2632 292.4

John Hardin 8 2337 292.1

Lincoln County 9 2584 287.1

North Bullitt 9 2489 276.6

Middlesboro 9 2486 276.2

Bardstown 9 2375 263.9

Metcalfe County 9 2338 259.8

Bethlehem 9 2334 259.3

Hopkinsville 8 2052 256.5

Danville 9 2267 251.9

Holmes 9 2266 251.8

Cumberland 9 2238 248.7

Calloway County 9 2234 248.2

Warren East 9 2211 245.7

Male 8 1962 245.3

Monroe County 9 2207 245.2

The record is 5671.

 

So if one of those two teams makes it to the finals, they would need about 1850 yards, give or take, over 5 games, or an average of 370 per game to break the record. They are averaging 380 now, so they definitely have a shot.

 

Here is the top ten according to KHSAA

 

RUSHING YARDS - Season (Min. 4,900)

School, Season, Year (G-Played)

5,671 Bryan Station, 1999 (15)

5,375 Danville, 1992 (15)

5,326 Lawrence County, 1999 (14)

5,302 Ashland Blazer, 1990 (15)

5,184 Lawrence County, 1998 (13)

5,004 Pikeville, 1989 (N/A)

4,983 Pikeville, 1987 (14)

4,926 George Rogers Clark, 1991 (15)

4,908 Danville, 1999 (15)

4,908 Danville, 1998 (15)

4,901 East Jessamine, 2000 (12)

 

 

Belfry's 2004 team is not listed, but I don't know exactly why. They rushed for a total of 5380 in 15 games, which would put them in 2nd place on this list.

I had totally forgot about Station in 99. I was kind of thinking that GRC from 91 might have held the record.

both have a great chance of breaking the state rushing record for a team. If they keep going at their current pace and if both reach the state finals, it's almost a lock.

 

Only one of them can make the state finals. They would meet in the third round if both win their district. Also the totals above don't include the last regular season game. I know Mercer had around 400 rushing yards against Spencer, so their 10 game total is a little over 4200. They would need a little less than 300 per game if they go to the state finals.

Only one of them can make the state finals. They would meet in the third round if both win their district. Also the totals above don't include the last regular season game. I know Mercer had around 400 rushing yards against Spencer, so their 10 game total is a little over 4200. They would need a little less than 300 per game if they go to the state finals.

 

If either can make it to the finals then it's highly possible that record will fall. I know Mercer has averaged over 400 all year with their low being 300 yards. Now, if they do adance the competition will get a whole lot tougher. But, only one can still be alive after the 3rd round if either still are.

I had totally forgot about Station in 99. I was kind of thinking that GRC from 91 might have held the record.

 

The 99 Bryan Station team was loaded with talent in the backfield. Current Carolina Panther Eric Shelton led the way, but they also had Greg Shidell and QB J.T. Haskins that were both very good runners. That team lost in overtime in the state title game to St. X in 99.

I haven't heard the story on the Western Washington Co. game. Can someone please tell me how Washington Co. won? I thought Larue had a shot at Western, and Washington Co. definitely had some athletes, but after Western handled Larue @ Larue, I never dreamed Washington Co. had a shot.

Something tells me field conditions may have had a hand in it ...

  • Author
The record is 5671.

 

So if one of those two teams makes it to the finals, they would need about 1850 yards, give or take, over 5 games, or an average of 370 per game to break the record. They are averaging 380 now, so they definitely have a shot.

 

Here is the top ten according to KHSAA

 

RUSHING YARDS - Season (Min. 4,900)

School, Season, Year (G-Played)

5,671 Bryan Station, 1999 (15)

5,375 Danville, 1992 (15)

5,326 Lawrence County, 1999 (14)

5,302 Ashland Blazer, 1990 (15)

5,184 Lawrence County, 1998 (13)

5,004 Pikeville, 1989 (N/A)

4,983 Pikeville, 1987 (14)

4,926 George Rogers Clark, 1991 (15)

4,908 Danville, 1999 (15)

4,908 Danville, 1998 (15)

4,901 East Jessamine, 2000 (12)

 

 

Belfry's 2004 team is not listed, but I don't know exactly why. They rushed for a total of 5380 in 15 games, which would put them in 2nd place on this list.

 

Also, I think Doug Howard ran for approximately 5400 yards & 90 TDs, both would put him in the current record books, but the stats have never been turned in.

 

I sure would like to see those records brought to the KHSAA's attention.

  • Author
If either can make it to the finals then it's highly possible that record will fall. I know Mercer has averaged over 400 all year with their low being 300 yards. Now, if they do adance the competition will get a whole lot tougher. But, only one can still be alive after the 3rd round if either still are.

 

You're right, that totally slipped my mind.

 

So, one of the two have a good chance at breaking the record.:D

I haven't heard the story on the Western Washington Co. game. Can someone please tell me how Washington Co. won? I thought Larue had a shot at Western, and Washington Co. definitely had some athletes, but after Western handled Larue @ Larue, I never dreamed Washington Co. had a shot.

 

15 fumbles or bobbled snaps by Western. 5 were lost to Washington Co. One set up the winning score. Western also fumbled the ball at the end and threw pick inside the 10 the drive before. The last fumble ended the possible game winning score for Western. Just wasn't Western's night and Washington hung around and pulled out a great win for them. :thumb:

Also, I think Doug Howard ran for approximately 5400 yards & 90 TDs, both would put him in the current record books, but the stats have never been turned in.

I sure would like to see those records brought to the KHSAA's attention.

 

That may be the case with the individual stats, and I agree with you.

 

But the team rushing stats are a matter of record and I got them from the KHSAA website for 2004. They should be part of the record books.

 

I wonder how many individual stats are floating around out there that would be part of the all time records, but for one reason or another have never been turned in to the KHSAA.

  • Author
That may be the case with the individual stats, and I agree with you.

 

But the team rushing stats are a matter of record and I got them from the KHSAA website for 2004. They should be part of the record books.

 

I wonder how many individual stats are floating around out there that would be part of the all time records, but for one reason or another have never been turned in to the KHSAA.

 

Most definitely...I can't help but be very proud of that fact and I'd like to see that particular record placed up their alongside those other great teams.

The 99 Bryan Station team was loaded with talent in the backfield. Current Carolina Panther Eric Shelton led the way, but they also had Greg Shidell and QB J.T. Haskins that were both very good runners. That team lost in overtime in the state title game to St. X in 99.

No doubt. I just hadn't thought about that team. I watched the finals that year. Loaded isn't the word.

15 fumbles or bobbled snaps by Western. 5 were lost to Washington Co. One set up the winning score. Western also fumbled the ball at the end and threw pick inside the 10 the drive before. The last fumble ended the possible game winning score for Western. Just wasn't Western's night and Washington hung around and pulled out a great win for them. :thumb:

15? 5 lost? I don't know about everyone else but as a coach if I have 7-8 fumbles/botches then I am finding some way to correct the problem whether it be a new center, whether it be a different snap style, whether it be throwing a clean ball to the field every play, giving everyone a towell...the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.