November 2, 200619 yr Kerry is an idiot. And not even the loveable kind, the despicable kind. I hope the Dems have to keep making excuses for him for the next 50 years. Every time I see his face, or hear his words, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I on the other hand hope that the Dems come up with a candidate that I would not be afeared of winning the presidency. Every time I hear Kerry speak, I shudder at the thought that he was close to becoming president.
November 2, 200619 yr I on the other hand hope that the Dems come up with a candidate that I would not be afeared of winning the presidency. Every time I hear Kerry speak, I shudder at the thought that he was close to becoming president. I agree.
November 2, 200619 yr Truth be told - I didn't vote for Bush. You got me.Was there ever any doubt? You underestimate me. I don't trust everything I hear in the media either. This is a personal attack from you, and you don't normally do that. Let's both agree to rise above that.Umm, check your last comment. You may wish to view Kerry's comments as you see fit. Just as I may choose to see the righteous indignation of you or Bush as a transparent play to make others think that patriotism is the exclusive property of the party of "Family Values".You really don't know me at all. Fact is, I view Kerry's comments for what they truly are, you just don't want to see the facts for what they really are. Too painful I suppose. Still struggling with digesting what you read? You might notice that my fourth point began with the two words "I guess ...". Feel free to come up with your own witticisms. It appears that mine might be over your head....Apparently the shoe is on the other foot my friend. Think hard about it, you may get it.
November 2, 200619 yr Correct me if I'm wrong. As I see it, were not trying to force Iraq to have "our" form of government, were trying to allow them to form their own. [/Quote] They had their own form of government. It wasn't pretty, and it wasn't friendly to us, but it was their government. They lived with it. There is no doubt that our intentions (in terms of giving them a democratic form of government) were (are) good. We truly believe that our system of government is better than theirs. Regardless of our intentions, we have misjudged how we would be perceived by a significant portion of their populace. Whether we like it or not, there are enough Iraqis that prefer things the way they were. Concommitantly, those Iraqis that would prefer to live in a democracy are not "stepping up to the plate". One important thing to remember about this entire affair - a democratic style of government does NOT necessarily equate to an open society (which is quite possibly America's greatest strength). It is my belief that gone unattended, Iraq will become a bigger hotbed for terrorist to gain strength and succeed in killing thousands of innocent americans. It is my belief that if we leave too soon, we will have to return in a few years and then is when it could get very ugly. The solution is not as simple as some make it look. I'm glad You or I are not the ones that have to come up with an answer.[/Quote] I agree that the solution is not simple. I don't think it matters one iota where the next hotbed is. As a country, we do not have the resources or the will to eliminate every government in the world that can (or does) harbor terrorism. To be honest with you, I don't believe that there is a good answer to the situation in Iraq. I think that ultimately, this entire thing will end in a manner very similar to Vietnam. Americans will slowly but inevitably grow tired of watching our soldiers die or be maimed, and the cost of the war (in terms of dollars) will become such a political liability that no one from either party will want to touch it. I take back the "fool" comment, that was stupid on my part. [/Quote] Not to worry, Skinpig. I've read enough of your posts, that I know that we aren't on the same side of a lot of issues. I also know (from reading many of your posts) that you are not the type of person that routinely takes personal shots at others. I wish that I could say the same about myself, but it isn't really true. I tend to let stuff get to me, when I would be better off just walking away. You need not apologize to me for stating your position on this (or any other) issue. If anyone owes an apology in this thread, it is probably me. I just can't agree with a timetable on such an issue when nobody knows what tommorow brings during war, much less 18 months from now, even if you have a clear plan. It's my opinion that when these politicians claim they have a withdrawal plan, it's nothing other than politics. You are welcome to disagree. Make no mistake, Skinpig. You're opinion is every bit as valid as mine, or anyone else's. Issues such as war are far too important not to have disagreements over. Let me apologize for my comments earlier in this thread. Like you, I have strong beliefs. I don't apologize for them, but I do apologize for the tone in which I expressed them. Mea culpa. Frances
November 2, 200619 yr ...You really don't know me at all. Fact is, I view Kerry's comments for what they truly are, you just don't want to see the facts for what they really are. Too painful I suppose.[/Quote] You are in the minority. If you choose to be offended, so be it. Apparently the shoe is on the other foot my friend. Think hard about it, you may get it. You aren't related to "Shoeless" Joe Jackson, are you? Frances
November 2, 200619 yr Kerry comments were dumb and stupid, joke or not, the timing was bad, and needs to and should apologies for his comments. He needs to take responsibility for actions, but not doing so, he puts himself on the same level as President Bush. You know when things are rough for Republicans when the President publicly responses to these types of comments. John Kerry hurts the Dems with comments, and kills his chances, if he ever thought he had any of becoming the President in 08.
November 2, 200619 yr Kerry comments were dumb and stupid, joke or not, the timing was bad, and needs to and should apologies for his comments. He needs to take responsibility for actions, but not doing so, he puts himself on the same level as President Bush. You know when things are rough for Republicans when the President publicly responses to these types of comments. John Kerry hurts the Dems with comments, and kills his chances, if he ever thought he had any of becoming the President in 08. I agree with all of that, LC99. I just read an article (linked to the Drudge site) that says that Kerry has now apologized to the men and women of the armed services. Do you think he's feeling any pressure? Frances
November 2, 200619 yr Author Kerry comments were dumb and stupid, joke or not, the timing was bad, and needs to and should apologies for his comments. He needs to take responsibility for actions, but not doing so, he puts himself on the same level as President Bush. You know when things are rough for Republicans when the President publicly responses to these types of comments. John Kerry hurts the Dems with comments, and kills his chances, if he ever thought he had any of becoming the President in 08.The President is the Commander-in-Chief of the troops that a sitting US Senator insulted. It was perfectly appropriate for him to respond to the remarks. I understand that Kerry has finally apologized but in the same breath demanded that Bush apologize to Americans for Iraq. Democratic candidates are running from Kerry like a scalded dog. If Democrats narrowly miss regaining control of the House, who do you think many of the party's elite will blame?
November 2, 200619 yr The President is the Commander-in-Chief of the troops that a sitting US Senator insulted. It was perfectly appropriate for him to respond to the remarks. I understand that Kerry has finally apologized but in the same breath demanded that Bush apologize to Americans for Iraq. Democratic candidates are running from Kerry like a scalded dog. If Democrats narrowly miss regaining control of the House, who do you think many of the party's elite will blame? And you don't see many Republicans running for help from 30+% approval rating President either. And when a sitting Senator makes stupid comments, like that, no respond with words is more appropriate.
November 2, 200619 yr And you don't see many Republicans running for help from 30+% approval ratinging President either. You know, I hadn't thought about it this way, but for some people, their vote in this election could hinge on who has the lower approval rating - Bush or Kerry. Tough choice. Frances
November 2, 200619 yr Author And you don't see many Republicans running for help from 30+% approval ratinging President either.With Kerry's help, those approval ratings will probably climb a little. Bush has been campaigning for a few Congressional candidates. My understaning is that Democratic leaders have "requested" that Kerry keep quiet and stay away from their candidates for the next six days. As Hillary Clinton said, Americans do not want to see a rerun of the 2004 campaign. Republicans would love to see Kerry taking a more active role in as many campaigns as possible.
November 2, 200619 yr The Senator was intending to call the President , essentially, "stupid" and the great majority of us , regardless of party, realize that. While I do not believe the POTUS is stupid, his and the party's response to this causes some to wonder. The only other explanation for the response IMO is not much better - pure politics.
November 2, 200619 yr Doesn't the President and the party making a big deal out of this bring to the forefront the albatross that hangs around their collective necks right before Americans (albeit a low percentage of eligible voters) go the polls? If I were a campaigning Republican, the last thing I want to have the voters base their vote on would be Iraq.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.