BluegrassPreps Class 4A Pre-Season Rankings (Discussion)

Ram

Is this an educated take based on what you've seen from Ashland? Because I'm of the mind that Johnson Central will be better than they were last year. Ashland could be too, but Aroq did a lot damage against JC last year, and he's moved on.

I agree, Ashland should be in the Top 10 but they are not beating JC. Not sure about Greenup being here either.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, Ashland should be in the Top 10 but they are not beating JC. Not sure about Greenup being here either.

Greenup County returns almost all of their offense to go with what has consistently been one of the best defenses in the class since coach Grizzle arrived. They finished just outside of the BGP top ten last season so I believe the ranking is fair. They did lose some good linemen but replacing linemen typically isn't an issue for them.

As for Ashland, I'm not going to get carried away and say they are better than JC. But I firmly believe that Ashland will be as good, if not better than they were last season. Losing an athlete like Aroq always hurts but the running game should still be solid. Ohio transfer Ryan Bryant could be a game changer this season for Ashland, imo. He enrolled too late last year to play football but was a solid contributor for the basketball team and football is supposedly his best sport. He will play DE and TE and at 6'5/270 he may be a big target for Ratliff.

Thought FS might be number one but we do have a few more holes to fill than JC. Biggest questions are at linebacker and QB. I’m hearing that we have good talent ready to step up there though. Hardest spot to fill will be Dion Pearson”s nosetackle position. Only person I can remember being able to match up with him one on one was South Warren”s Jacob Lacey, who is headed to Notre Dame next year.

Hopkinsville worries me more than anyone else in the West. I think FS will play JC again in Lexington.

Big difference between this poll and the Herald Leader. Both have JC and FS 1 and 2 but Herald Leader has Collins and Rockcastle 4 & 6 and they aren't in the BG top 10. Probably hard to gauge pre season high school football polls with graduation and new players coming in.

Year in and year out, BGP is consistently more accurate then any other rankings in the state. So, there's that.

Is this an educated take based on what you've seen from Ashland? Because I'm of the mind that Johnson Central will be better than they were last year. Ashland could be too, but Aroq did a lot damage against JC last year, and he's moved on.

Ashland will be good there’s no doubt but their luck with beating JC has ran out I’m afraid. Ashland has some significant injuries this year in preseason and JC’s number 1 RB returns this year after taking last season off recovering from ACL tear. It’ll be a battle but I see JC coming out on top.

Year in and year out, BGP is consistently more accurate then any other rankings in the state. So, there's that.

I am not saying one is right the other is wrong just that there is a big difference between the two. Who do you see winning each district in 4A?

Logan Co. is the team to watch this year. After years of losing, they came out of the gates winning their first 11 in a row. Now this season, they have another year in their system and return a lot of starters.

Their ability to own the trenches is going to be their bread and butter this year. Their lines on both sides of the ball are so strong and that will keep them competitive with anyone they play.

Logan lost 28-0 to McCracken in what was about a half of football in a Scrimmage. They're good, but there are some warts that are being hidden by that schedule. Hoptown will be their real measuring stick.

What significant injuries? There is nothing that I know of that will impact the regular season...and certainly wont impact anything in week 10 when they play JC. I fully expect the Tomcats to be undefeated rolling into JC....the only possible loss I see is George Washington who always has a good team.

Logan lost 28-0 to McCracken in what was about a half of football in a Scrimmage. They're good, but there are some warts that are being hidden by that schedule. Hoptown will be their real measuring stick.

Has their speed improved any? I only saw Logan County live once (against Hopkinsville in the playoffs) but there was a noticeable difference in skill and speed between the two teams. We'll have to wait and see.

Bryant played a few games early on, before he hurt his knee. Had like 16 tackles against Russell I do believe....

Thanks, I didn't know that! For some reason I had it in my head that he enrolled late and was ineligible.

Interesting comments @VF111. Comparing Logan Co to warts? Concerning the “scrimmage” logan rested starters, and two of those tds came against our JV and freshman. McCracken county is also a very good football team.

Promise you this your team don’t want to see Logan County busses rolling into your place this year. Logan County has added speed and strength from last years team.

Interesting comments @VF111. Comparing Logan Co to warts? Concerning the “scrimmage” logan rested starters, and two of those tds came against our JV and freshman. McCracken county is also a very good football team.

Promise you this your team don’t want to see Logan County busses rolling into your place this year. Logan County has added speed and strength from last years team.

Seriously? You just bypassed the whole "they are good" and focused on the statement "they have some warts being hidden by that schedule" and took that and turned it into saying that they ARE warts? OK...:idunno: