Niagra Falls - Cooperstown advice

CincySportsFan

My wife decided we should do an impromptu vacation next week, and we came up with going to Niagra Falls and Cooperstown. Don't really have anything specific planned for either area (other than the HOF, of course). Anybody have any suggestions for the "less than obvious" in either place?

It looks like Naval & Military Park in Buffalo might be a stop for us. Not sure about the wife, but the boy and I would enjoy it.

Anything else? Any helpful hints?

Niagara falls is cool but make sure you have your passports. I think you can get to the Canadian side without them, but you can't get back into the States without your passports. There is a tour that takes you behind the falls on the Canadian side and its pretty cool. And of course there is the Maid of the Mist cruise.

Niagara falls is cool but make sure you have your passports. I think you can get to the Canadian side without them, but you can't get back into the States without your passports. There is a tour that takes you behind the falls on the Canadian side and its pretty cool. And of course there is the Maid of the Mist cruise.

Don't have our passports. So, limited to US side. My cousin recommended the Cave of the Winds. According to her, it's behind the falls too. I wonder, is there one on both the US and the Canadian side?

The Canadian side is definitely where you want to stay. The US side was pretty run down, although when I was last there in 2009 there was a lot of construction and renovation going on so it is likely much nicer now.

You should do the Maid of the Mist tour. While the falls are certainly impressive from the top, you don't really get a full appreciation for the power that they contain until you see them from the bottom. For me it was certainly worth the wait in line and the cost which wasn't cheap but not terrible either.

I can't offer anything other advice on Niagra as when I went it was just a detour on the way home from a few days in the Boston area. We stayed on the American side.

If you like craft beer, Cooperstown is home to Brewery Ommegang which is pretty highly regarding among beer snobs like me. They specialize in Belgian style ales.

Went to Cooperstown back in tbe late 90s with my parents and brothers. Watched a few innings of a club fame at the aboce mentioned field, walked around the town for a long time and of course spent almost all day at the HOF. Couldve spent two days there, so much to see and read. The city and region is beautiful. Certainly worth a trip

• 2 weeks later...
You should do the Maid of the Mist tour. While the falls are certainly impressive from the top, you don't really get a full appreciation for the power that they contain until you see them from the bottom. For me it was certainly worth the wait in line and the cost which wasn't cheap but not terrible either.

I can't offer anything other advice on Niagra as when I went it was just a detour on the way home from a few days in the Boston area. We stayed on the American side.

If you like craft beer, Cooperstown is home to Brewery Ommegang which is pretty highly regarding among beer snobs like me. They specialize in Belgian style ales.

We did do the Maid of the Mist tour. You're right, the sight and sound from above is nothing compared to what it's like at the foot of the falls (especially when they pulled up into the Horseshoe Falls).

We also did the Cave of the Winds tour (where you can walk on the wooden platforms located below the Bridal Falls). That was impressive as well. My wife enjoyed this even more than the boat ride.