2018 Region Players of the Year per the KABC

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that Gardner of Owensboro is a very nice player and he is on the best team in the 3rd Region heading into district tournament. I must admit, I've only seen a little bit of film on him so I don't have much to base an opinion on.

What I do know is that Aidan Matthews of Meade County was somebody who was on no one's radar coming into this year. He has had tons of double/doubles this year. Averages around 20 Pts and 7 Rebs per game. He had huge games against great competition outside the region (against John Hardin, Valley, Doss, etc...). In my opinion there was no better "all-around" player in the region when you look at scoring, rebounding, shooting percentages, passing ability and his overall ability to affect the game. Lately opponents have been trying to lock him down, but he is still putting up decent numbers. There was a long stretch in the middle of the season where absolutely no one was able to guard him.

The other play that I think deserved consideration was Kobe Poole of Breckinridge County. That kid puts up huge numbers just about every game and he doesn't have much team support.

I think Matthews and Poole are the two most deserving in the region based on what I've seen. There are other players in the region who have really good scoring averages who appear to be volume shooters who don't have shooting percentages that are good enough (Noffsinger, 41.8%, of Muhlenberg County and Moore, 37.6%, of Butler County).

There are a lot of things about having to PAY to be a part of an award process that strike me as shady.

Doesn't it make sense that the awards from an organization would go to members of that organization?

Plus, the money from the awards has to come from somewhere.

Does anyone know how many school's coaches aren't members of the KABC?