Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mason County Royals Question?

Featured Replies

To all the Royals fans, players, coaches , or those that are concerned: Why is it that the Royals seem to be not hitting on all cylinders yet? The boys look like they are all playing hard but there are times when the Royals are not focused or playing with PASSION!!!!!!!! This team is loaded with talent but sometimes it seems like they are going through the motions and not playing with a lot of PASSION and EMOTION. What is the answer for our beloved Royals??????

1. New QB this year who wasn't named the starter until the second game of the season. Things should be smoother 8 games into the season, but the fact is that the QB situation wasn't settled until 2 months ago.

 

2. For whatever the reason, excluding the game vs. an injury-ridden Morgan County team, Mason County has played to the level of the competition. I don't know why this happens to some teams, but it obviously does.

 

3. While it is a luxury to have four running backs that share playing time, does anyone believe that shuffling RBs in and out can result in a lack of consistency? I'm not saying that's the case, just wonder what anyone else thinks.

 

4. While it shows great confidence in the defense, Mason County's coaching staff like to try on 4th down, on-sides kick, etc.; probably more than 95% of teams out there. When this is not successful, the field position battle is lost. I kind of like the gambling, but the defense has to come through (and this year it usually has). With an inconsistent offense, field position can be critical.

 

5. In addition to losing several skill players and a lot of team speed, Mason County lost at least two stalwarts on the offensive line from last year; this has had a lot to do, in my opinion, with the lack of consistency on the offensive side.

 

6. It seems like only one guy has speed to burn, and he's not primarily a WR. Mason County, like any other football team (again, in my opinion, and from the perspective of someone who had a dad who was a football, wrestling and track coach) should have lots of FB players participating in winter and/or spring track. PS - the guy with speed ran track last year.

 

7. Mason County seems to get called for more than their share of penalties, and often at crucial times. Could this be a possible reason for "playing without emotion" - fear of being flagged? PS - the Royals aren't generally one of those "chest-thumping, get-in-your-face" kind of teams (thank goodness), but I don't view that as playing without emotion. I'd rather the Royals put together 4 solid quarters of nearly mistake-free football and keep their emotions under control than jump up and down and scream after every play.

 

Some random thoughts from someone not particularly close to the program - just a fan.

1. New QB this year who wasn't named the starter until the second game of the season. Things should be smoother 8 games into the season, but the fact is that the QB situation wasn't settled until 2 months ago.

 

2. For whatever the reason, excluding the game vs. an injury-ridden Morgan County team, Mason County has played to the level of the competition. I don't know why this happens to some teams, but it obviously does.

 

3. While it is a luxury to have four running backs that share playing time, does anyone believe that shuffling RBs in and out can result in a lack of consistency? I'm not saying that's the case, just wonder what anyone else thinks.

 

4. While it shows great confidence in the defense, Mason County's coaching staff like to try on 4th down, on-sides kick, etc.; probably more than 95% of teams out there. When this is not successful, the field position battle is lost. I kind of like the gambling, but the defense has to come through (and this year it usually has). With an inconsistent offense, field position can be critical.

 

5. In addition to losing several skill players and a lot of team speed, Mason County lost at least two stalwarts on the offensive line from last year; this has had a lot to do, in my opinion, with the lack of consistency on the offensive side.

 

6. It seems like only one guy has speed to burn, and he's not primarily a WR. Mason County, like any other football team (again, in my opinion, and from the perspective of someone who had a dad who was a football, wrestling and track coach) should have lots of FB players participating in winter and/or spring track. PS - the guy with speed ran track last year.

 

7. Mason County seems to get called for more than their share of penalties, and often at crucial times. Could this be a possible reason for "playing without emotion" - fear of being flagged? PS - the Royals aren't generally one of those "chest-thumping, get-in-your-face" kind of teams (thank goodness), but I don't view that as playing without emotion. I'd rather the Royals put together 4 solid quarters of nearly mistake-free football and keep their emotions under control than jump up and down and scream after every play.

 

Some random thoughts from someone not particularly close to the program - just a fan.

Nice Post McPapa

We are frustrated, but we also give credit to our opponents when they do a good job in our games. I think some of our opponents have not been given the credit they deserve. Montgomery, for example, has proven they are much better than people originally thought they were.

 

We are still working to get better, and believe that will happen. Our players are good young men and we are fortunate to coach them.

 

My dad also coached football, wrestling, and track. I would love to see all our guys running track, and it has really helped our kids that do run. I wish more of them would do so. Chris Hull came out of nowhere and track was a big reason why. Mark Kachler does an outstanding job with our track program.

 

Last year's group overachieved more than any bunch I have been around as a player or coach, with the exception possibly of our 86 team at Mercer. They spoiled us. But, alot of those same guys are with us now and are still working hard.

 

I am confident we will get through this. Besides, one night one of those fake punts, trick plays or onside kick will go our way, like they did back when we got this thing rolling. ;) And, we never just do them. It is always well-prepared, practiced, and called at times we think are advantageous.

 

We believe in addition to working hard, for us to win big, we have to be aggressive in our approach to the game. For the most part, that approach has served us well and helped us win games we had no business winning- we won one night rushing for only 27 yards!

 

Hang in there- we are!

Two outstanding answers:thumb:

I may now know much about this year's team at Mason County, but I am a former player. Ever since Coach Buchanan came to Mason County, we have focused on one phrase..."Find a way to win!" That is what this year's team seems to be about. They may not play well on some nights, they may lose their focus at times, but they still maintain the attitude that was ingrained ten years ago. If it were not for this attitude being passed on from the coaches, I may not be in the position I am in today. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't thank God for the people he has placed in my life. These coaches and their program helped me to develop so much throughout the years. So in light of that, I think that these guys are playing their hearts out every play. It's only a matter of time until everything clicks and these guys get rollin'.

Habits on the practice field usually find their way on the game field. From posts, these players play hard and with some heart, but maybe they are lacking focus or intensity in practice. If you arent focused then the little things arent being improved and corrected. They can be going full speed but not have a goal or purpose. That could be some causes of penalties and the lack of cohesion in the offense. Good luck Royals

  • Author

I am not implying that it is the coaching staff. There just seems to be a lack of focus a.k.a. penalties and not finishing drives. I don't know how many times that the Royals have been in scoring position then turn the ball over, have a penalty, etc. For a team with this much talent you think the players would understand the excellent chance they have to be a great team. If they would match their talent level with PASSION they would be an awesome force.

I am not implying that it is the coaching staff. There just seems to be a lack of focus a.k.a. penalties and not finishing drives. I don't know how many times that the Royals have been in scoring position then turn the ball over, have a penalty, etc. .

It isn't just the Royals, teams all over the state have the same problem. It isn't one thing that a coach can do IMO, the game is just different now than it was and kids are going to make these mental mistakes more often than not.

It isn't just the Royals, teams all over the state have the same problem. It isn't one thing that a coach can do IMO, the game is just different now than it was and kids are going to make these mental mistakes more often than not.

:thumb:

As Coach B has said all long we haven't put together 4 quarters yet on both sides of the ball.The D has been the stable main stay all year and the Offense is coming.I have a sneaky feeling they will put together those 4 quarters on both sides of the ball on Senior nite Oct. 27.:thumb:

 

 

GO ROYALS

As Coach B has said all long we haven't put together 4 quarters yet on both sides of the ball.The D has been the stable main stay all year and the Offense is coming.I have a sneaky feeling they will put together those 4 quarters on both sides of the ball on Senior nite Oct. 27.:thumb:

 

 

GO ROYALS

 

I hope they will this Friday and next Friday!

I enjoy reading the Mason Co. threads. You have quality fans and thoughtful BGP posters – and run a classy program. :thumb:

 

 

I am sorry that Ashland and Mason won’t be in the same district next year.

I enjoy reading the Mason Co. threads. You have quality fans and thoughtful BGP posters – and run a classy program. :thumb:

 

 

I am sorry that Ashland and Mason won’t be in the same district next year.

 

You and me both, Graybeard. Seems like Mason County has barely had a chance to get their feet wet in 3A (they're right on the 2A-3A edge, enrollment-wise).

 

Coach Buchanan is a class act; he went about developing the program the right way. Lots of folks seem to be under the impression than since Mason County has had a pretty decent basketball history, that the football program has always been strong as well. Nothing could be further from the truth. I believe that Coach B is the only Mason County FB coach with a winning record at MCHS. It took the 2003 graduating class with Grutza and Lofton to REALLY energize the fans here in Maysville, and I'm happy to say that fan energy continues; from the classy tailgates to a nice traveling fan contingent that is vocal and supportive in what I like to think is a generally classy and supportive way.

 

The Royals, since moving up to 3A have had to scratch and claw for just about every district win. And while I sometimes get frustrated when the Royals let an opponent back into the game, I'd much rather win ugly than lose pretty.

 

And I'll give props to the Ashland folks as well. The Royals put a pretty good licking on the Tomcats in the '03 playoffs (that may have been the game that Grutza had 6 rushing TDs, but I couldn't swear to it), then returned the favor in '04 when the Royals only won one game. I went to last year's game in Ashland in the rain, and was impressed by the quality of the Tomcat fans there. This year's game had the Tomcats down by a TD at half, but to their credit, Ashland came out and didn't give the Royals a good look at pay dirt the entire second half.

 

Anyway, I look forward to the 3A district games; and I'd much rather play Ashland, JC, Greenup, Lawrence and Boyd than Lewis, East and West Carter (Fleming bolted to another district, and I do look forward to playing Russell) each year. No disrespect to next year's district opponents; I just prefer watching games against the larger schools - the atmosphere is more enjoyable to me.

 

Good luck to the Tomcats and especially the Royals down the stretch!

We are frustrated, but we also give credit to our opponents when they do a good job in our games. I think some of our opponents have not been given the credit they deserve. Montgomery, for example, has proven they are much better than people originally thought they were.

 

We are still working to get better, and believe that will happen. Our players are good young men and we are fortunate to coach them.

 

My dad also coached football, wrestling, and track. I would love to see all our guys running track, and it has really helped our kids that do run. I wish more of them would do so. Chris Hull came out of nowhere and track was a big reason why. Mark Kachler does an outstanding job with our track program.

 

Last year's group overachieved more than any bunch I have been around as a player or coach, with the exception possibly of our 86 team at Mercer. They spoiled us. But, alot of those same guys are with us now and are still working hard.

 

I am confident we will get through this. Besides, one night one of those fake punts, trick plays or onside kick will go our way, like they did back when we got this thing rolling. ;) And, we never just do them. It is always well-prepared, practiced, and called at times we think are advantageous.

 

We believe in addition to working hard, for us to win big, we have to be aggressive in our approach to the game. For the most part, that approach has served us well and helped us win games we had no business winning- we won one night rushing for only 27 yards!

 

Hang in there- we are!

 

Chief makes a great point here. Let's take a look at Mason County's 2006 opponents:

 

Lafayette (Mason County was down one score with less than 2 minutes to play in that one) is undefeated, 8-0 against primarily 4A competition.

 

Montgomery County is 4-1 in district play, and pretty much shocked the world when they defeated Madison Central.

 

Fleming County hasn't lost since playing Mason County, going 6-0 and outscoring those opponents 260-58 over that stretch.

 

Morgan County, the only team Mason County has beaten up on this year, has started to right the ship and have won 2 of their last 5.

 

Frankfort is another team that hasn't lost since playing Mason County, going 3-0 and outscoring those opponents 154-22.

 

Boyd County - thumped Lawrence County 36-14 the week following the Mason County game.

 

Ashland lost their first game of the year, then beat the likes of Belfry, Russell and Prestonsburg, and had to shut out the Royals in the second half to pull out the win.

 

Greenup County lost 7-0 to Mason County after being manhandled by Ashland and Johnson Central. And truth be told, had Mason County hung onto the ball in Greenup territory, that could easily have been a 21-0 game instead of 7-0.

 

The fact is that this year's Mason County's opponents haven't been chopped liver, and it's no disgrace to play close against teams that have been kind of unappreciated sometimes for no other reason than losing to or barely beating the Royals!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.