November 20, 20178 yr I can, they were on a team that made the playoffs. The MVP is so subjective. If it said best season then Stanton and Votto by far. It just seems to me that if 1 guy, say Arenado, was SOOOOOO valuable to the Rockies that he helped them get to the playoffs, how can Blackmon also be that valuable? Maybe my mind just doesn't work that well.
November 20, 20178 yr Sports writers have done this for years. You are talking about a group of people who didn't unanimously elect Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, and Nolan Ryan to the baseball HOF. We see the same thing in the Heisman voting and other MVP sports voting. We see it in the AP football and basketball polls. We even see it each week in the Kentucky High School AP Polls. Let's not act like Votto's case is unique. I would have voted for Stanton too FWIW.
November 21, 20178 yr I don't understand why MLB cannot define what it means by "valuable". Is it "best player" or is it the best player on a winning team? Just tell the voters what valuable means...
November 21, 20178 yr It just seems to me that if 1 guy, say Arenado, was SOOOOOO valuable to the Rockies that he helped them get to the playoffs, how can Blackmon also be that valuable? Maybe my mind just doesn't work that well. I didn’t say I agreed with them but can see why they voted like that.
November 22, 20178 yr I don't understand why MLB cannot define what it means by "valuable". Is it "best player" or is it the best player on a winning team? Just tell the voters what valuable means... Ambiguity guarantees fans will read their explanation in the next day's paper.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.