Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mercer Co. VS Russell?

Featured Replies

Im with a couple others, I wish this thread would just close. Im a Mercer fan, true and through, but to be talking about walking their way too a state chamipionship is ridiculous. Why?! Because they're other GOOD football teams that stand in Mercer's way, for starters Newport, and for all those who thought is was just NEWPORT and MERCER, well, you're wrong, now Spencer Co. has put themselves on the map with a win over a VERY GOOD (especially defensively) Newport team.

 

Secondly, you have the possibility of playing LaRue Couny or Western in the regional finals, then if Mercer makes it through that tough game, then they would have to play the likes of someone like Ft. Campbell, Caldwell Co, Trigg Co., etc...before they would even get to RUSSELL..so, close this thread and learn to think like I know the players and coaches are, and take this thing one game at a time!!!

 

I love the support that is being shown on here and at the games from Mercer Co. fans, it's awesome, absoulutely awesome, but remember, that these KIDS have won only 7 games, not 7 state championships like some of you think. Should we all be excited about the GREAT chance of this happening?! Yes!! By all means we should, but some of us need to realize that their is already a BIG ENOUGH BULLS EYE on this team as is, no need to make it any bigger!!!

 

As for Mercer's speed, do they have it?! You dang right they have it. Their three backs (Cory Jackson, Brandon Ford, Donald Walker) can run with anybody. Put it this way, this year in track, they'll all three at some point, will be favored to win their region in the 100, 200 and 4x100 and 4x200 relays. Jackson last year had the fastest time recorded in ALL CLASSES last year in the 100, he ran a 10.71 to win the region, that my friends who doubt this young mans speed, is LEGIT!! Ford and Jackson both finished in the top four in the 200 at state. Donald Walker won his AA region in the 100 and 200 (11.1 in the 100), but didnt compete in the state meet because he pulled his hamstring in the regional 4x100 relays.

 

The kids are fast, are they low 4.3 speed, NO!! Cory Jackson, possibly might really be in the high 4.3's with Ford and Walker being everybit in the low 4.4's. Jackson is FAST, i mean, FAST. You just have to see to believe..but, please, let the 4.31 time go. This veteran backfield mixed with a VERY youn offensive line has been a great mix, one that will hopefully continue to get better each and every week!!

 

Does Mercer have the talent, coaching, etc. to win the state championship?! You better believe it, but anybody that knows anything whatsoever about winning a state championship would know that is not anywhere near everything that one has to have to win a state championship. You have to have a little thing most of us like to call "LUCK". If great talent and coaching alone was all that you needed to win a state championship, Danville, Male, Highlands, Paducah Tilghman, etc. would win EVERY YEAR.

 

So, all of us Mercer fans, lets be excited, real excited, but at the sametime keep in mind that until someone beats RUSSELL or BELFRY, that they still deserve the RESPECT of state champions, b/c as of the past three years, that's what they are! When and if Mercer wins the state championship this year, then we can celebrate, even at that, have class in doing so! Best of luck to Russell, Belfry, Ft. Campbell, Wester, LaRue, Caldwell Co, Sheldon Clark, etc. and of course the TITANS on all of yours quest to be crowned the 2006 Class AA State Champion!!!

  • Replies 75
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont have a dog in this fight, but I dont buy this for 4.3 seconds, or even one second for that matter. ;)

 

I seriously doubt there is a kid in this state that runs a 4.3 fourty in football.

 

 

Come watch #2 then lets see if you buy or sell.

I posted that about the times. I was misinformed. Walker isnt that fast. I would say brandon is 4.4 somewhere but I would bet the farm on Jackson being in the 4.3's.

 

Walker isnt that fast?! WRONG.

Come watch #2 then lets see if you buy or sell.

 

What colleges are after him? If he really runs a 4.3 fourty he'll have every major university in the country after him just based on speed alone. Derek Abney made it to the NFL on speed alone, he was a mid 4.4 kind of player.

What colleges are after him? If he really runs a 4.3 fourty he'll have every major university in the country after him just based on speed alone. Derek Abney made it to the NFL on speed alone, he was a mid 4.4 kind of player.

 

He's 5'7 160. That's why every major college, UNFORTUNATELY, isnt after him.

He's 5'7 160. That's why every major college, UNFORTUNATELY, isnt after him.

 

Abney was 5'8 160 coming out of high school. He's listed at 5'9 180 on the Bears roster. I dont see that big of a difference.

Abney is bigger, just trust me on this, but as Im sure you know, theres also a big difference in the physiology of that of a 17 year old 5'7 160 KID and a 25 year old, 3 year veteran of the NFL 5'9 (barefoot) 180 MAN.

 

I know this much, on talent and speed a lone, Jackson has the tools to do what made Abney a target for UK, it would be great to see some big schools jump on board, that would be great, and they might have already. If you'll remember though, Abney was on EVERYBODY's list, either, though. Jackson does have the ability to return punts and kick-offs like Abney, no doubt, the only problem with that has been that there arent too many people in HS who are going to kick to him, and rightfully so, I wouldnt either.

It's kinda hard since they have 7 wins in school history, New student body+New athletes=New team.

My point exactly.

Come watch #2 then lets see if you buy or sell.

 

We will all get a chance to see him... if he makes it to Louisville later on this year.

Back to the thread- how does Western's defense match up with Mercer's defense? I know Mercer has a very experienced secondary (all seniors) with outstanding speed. Mercer's linebackers will flat out hit you. What does Western have?

Wouldnt that be a different Mercer team? A much different team this year. Everyone is right, who knows who would be there. Myself I just hope we are so I don't really care who it is we play if we make it.

I was referring to the 5-2 defense that allusedup was so critical of. And I doubt coach Jaggers has changed his offense that much. Anyway I was talking about schemes.

The paper doesnt come out till wednsday. How did you get yours early??? Hey I keep hearing that Denzel is going to be an honorary coach for one of our games. I also heard that coach Jaggers isnt goin to let him call any plays.

 

Okay Wednesday's article.

Im with a couple others, I wish this thread would just close. Im a Mercer fan, true and through, but to be talking about walking their way too a state chamipionship is ridiculous. Why?! Because they're other GOOD football teams that stand in Mercer's way, for starters Newport, and for all those who thought is was just NEWPORT and MERCER, well, you're wrong, now Spencer Co. has put themselves on the map with a win over a VERY GOOD (especially defensively) Newport team.

 

Secondly, you have the possibility of playing LaRue Couny or Western in the regional finals, then if Mercer makes it through that tough game, then they would have to play the likes of someone like Ft. Campbell, Caldwell Co, Trigg Co., etc...before they would even get to RUSSELL..so, close this thread and learn to think like I know the players and coaches are, and take this thing one game at a time!!!

 

I love the support that is being shown on here and at the games from Mercer Co. fans, it's awesome, absoulutely awesome, but remember, that these KIDS have won only 7 games, not 7 state championships like some of you think. Should we all be excited about the GREAT chance of this happening?! Yes!! By all means we should, but some of us need to realize that their is already a BIG ENOUGH BULLS EYE on this team as is, no need to make it any bigger!!!

 

As for Mercer's speed, do they have it?! You dang right they have it. Their three backs (Cory Jackson, Brandon Ford, Donald Walker) can run with anybody. Put it this way, this year in track, they'll all three at some point, will be favored to win their region in the 100, 200 and 4x100 and 4x200 relays. Jackson last year had the fastest time recorded in ALL CLASSES last year in the 100, he ran a 10.71 to win the region, that my friends who doubt this young mans speed, is LEGIT!! Ford and Jackson both finished in the top four in the 200 at state. Donald Walker won his AA region in the 100 and 200 (11.1 in the 100), but didnt compete in the state meet because he pulled his hamstring in the regional 4x100 relays.

 

The kids are fast, are they low 4.3 speed, NO!! Cory Jackson, possibly might really be in the high 4.3's with Ford and Walker being everybit in the low 4.4's. Jackson is FAST, i mean, FAST. You just have to see to believe..but, please, let the 4.31 time go. This veteran backfield mixed with a VERY youn offensive line has been a great mix, one that will hopefully continue to get better each and every week!!

 

Does Mercer have the talent, coaching, etc. to win the state championship?! You better believe it, but anybody that knows anything whatsoever about winning a state championship would know that is not anywhere near everything that one has to have to win a state championship. You have to have a little thing most of us like to call "LUCK". If great talent and coaching alone was all that you needed to win a state championship, Danville, Male, Highlands, Paducah Tilghman, etc. would win EVERY YEAR.

 

So, all of us Mercer fans, lets be excited, real excited, but at the sametime keep in mind that until someone beats RUSSELL or BELFRY, that they still deserve the RESPECT of state champions, b/c as of the past three years, that's what they are! When and if Mercer wins the state championship this year, then we can celebrate, even at that, have class in doing so! Best of luck to Russell, Belfry, Ft. Campbell, Wester, LaRue, Caldwell Co, Sheldon Clark, etc. and of course the TITANS on all of yours quest to be crowned the 2006 Class AA State Champion!!!

 

Mercer has some fans with class. You are one. You know we go through this 4.3 forty thing every year. There is always someone who pulls that out of the sky to tell us just how fast thier guy is. I'm sure the three are very fast. Russell has severals that are fast. I doubt you will ever see a Russell fan give a speed for one of our backs. People on here just don't believe that 4.3 world class speed thing. There are very few legit 4.3 players in the NFL as most of us know. Yes there are 4.3 players but not many. I'm glad you got on here to put your own folks in check.

 

Good luck to your team.

I posted that about the times. I was misinformed. Walker isnt that fast. I would say brandon is 4.4 somewhere but I would bet the farm on Jackson being in the 4.3's.

 

Here we go again on these 40 times.:rolleyes: There aren't many guys in the NFL that are a sub 4.4.:lol:

 

Straight ahead speed is great if you have great blocking and an open field, but come playoff time you need a power running game to combat sloppy fields and good defenses. Speed can be neutralized in the playoffs sometimes.

 

I think Mercer is going to be hurting once they get in a close game in the playoffs, whether it be the 2nd round or the state title game. If you have blown every team out that you have played then players may not know how to respond in a tight situation.

 

I think the experience of a Russell or Belfry will prove to be too much for Mercer.

Walker isnt that fast?! WRONG.

 

I meant the 4.3 time that I was told. I know he is very fast and very powerful.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.